Carlsbad-Palomar CRQ

Cazadores

Anybody know anything or work there? It looks like Pinnacle Academy is the largest training operation. Just curious, it is right near my family so I am wondering how life is and if there are opportunities for CFIs there. Any input appreciated.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Anybody know anything or work there? It looks like Pinnacle Academy is the largest training operation. Just curious, it is right near my family so I am wondering how life is and if there are opportunities for CFIs there. Any input appreciated.

I have nothing productive to say on the topic beyond I'm there frequently, and you should let me know.

inigo88 is a local, too.

I rented out of Grey Eagle a little bit (very small 141 school), and enjoy their rental rates and small school atmosphere. Pinnacle appears to be the biggest school there, with a lot of foreign pilot-mill type students. It looks like ATP is also there, as is "Pacific Coast Flyers" (which is actually a flying club based from multiple airports around San Diego, but they match new student members with a list of approved instructors there). Most of the CRQ real estate is taken up by ludicrously huge corporate jet oriented FBOs though, including Premier Jet and Jetsource which are both VERY nice facilities. (And of course the terminal which Autothrust Blue briefly sees on the way to his luxurious hotel layovers :D ).

One last thing to consider is the local weather. Being on the coast, CRQ is often frustratingly socked in by the marine layer while airports further inland like Gillespie are CAVU. Worth considering since the drive really isn't bad at all. MYF is sort of in between.

Thanks for the info, I havent been around CRQ in about ten years so I had no real idea what was going on down there. I looked into Gillespie, I wonder if a commute on the coaster and trolley would be doable from north county, free housing might make the commute worth it.

Screw flying. Just get a job at the new Pizza Port at Bressi Ranch. Great beer and it's on the final to KCRQ so you watch the planes go by.

Pizza Port....a short cab to my mom's place from Port San Clemente. I love the seafood pizza, think it is the Solana....anyway, I like your line of thinking, many hours spent at Ports from Solana Beach to San Clemente. Man I love that place! Probably take home and keep more cash too....

I would look into myf. I saw a opening there the other day. I work over at Gillespie and the commute would suck

I rented out of Grey Eagle a little bit (very small 141 school), and enjoy their rental rates and small school atmosphere. Pinnacle appears to be the biggest school there, with a lot of foreign pilot-mill type students. It looks like ATP is also there, as is "Pacific Coast Flyers" (which is actually a flying club based from multiple airports around San Diego, but they match new student members with a list of approved instructors there). Most of the CRQ real estate is taken up by ludicrously huge corporate jet oriented FBOs though, including Premier Jet and Jetsource which are both VERY nice facilities. (And of course the terminal which Autothrust Blue briefly sees on the way to his luxurious hotel layovers :D ).

One last thing to consider is the local weather. Being on the coast, CRQ is often frustratingly socked in by the marine layer while airports further inland like Gillespie are CAVU. Worth considering since the drive really isn't bad at all. MYF is sort of in between.

Cazadores: Plus One Flyers is also at CRQ. I am a member and CFI with the club. If you want more info drop me a line.

Currently teaching with Pacific Coast Flyers. Home of the $99hr C- 172:)

Is Perry Kagan still teaching there? He signed off my BFR at Pacific Coast years ago. How is the work there?

Is Perry Kagan still teaching there? He signed off my BFR at Pacific Coast years ago. How is the work there?

Ya know? He could be. I haven't met many of the folks in the club other than those passing through. Jeff W. the owner is still there running things. I'm not real busy because I don't stand with baited hook in the lobby at Western and reel in the potential students. Which is what it takes. Based on the schedule, some guys seem to keep pretty busy. It's just how you sell it. Equipment seems to be good along with availability.

I used to instruct out of Gillespie field and it is probably one of the better airports in the area for flight training. It's far enough inland to avoid the marine layer most of the time and it's close to the east practice areas which are usually always clear. The only downside to Gillespie is not having an ILS. The only non-GPS approach is a LOC-D with an MDA at 1200 feet above the surface.

I would go to Gillespie, it is the commute from San Clemente or the North County that scares me off a bit.

Are the practice areas as crazy as the ones for SNA? I remember Lake Mathews ten years ago being more an exercise in ACM than anything else....

I used to instruct out of Gillespie field and it is probably one of the better airports in the area for flight training. It's far enough inland to avoid the marine layer most of the time and it's close to the east practice areas which are usually always clear. The only downside to Gillespie is not having an ILS. The only non-GPS approach is a LOC-D with an MDA at 1200 feet above the surface.

But it sure makes for nice actual ILSs

Back