Caribbean Cargo Jobs

Does AMF base pilots in BQN (I've seen plenty of their birds on the ramp there) as well as SJU or just SJU?

The goal of contract vendor training is to get everyone through as much as ethically possible. Not saying Flight Safety/SimuFlite etc are bad programs in the slightest...but an AMF check airman doesn't have to worry about upsetting a long-time customer if an applicant isn't meeting standards.

Please allow me to apply some facts for everybody...

In the last 2.5 years, there have been 4 washouts in the SA-227 Training program, out of over 50 applicants. The first time pass rate is low but those individuals have all been retrained and rechecked successfully.

Remember that airlines are businesses that while need training/checking is a necessary evil is not their primary business motive (ala flightsafety). There are significant time restraints that applicants are expected to fall under to verify progress and little time to retrain necessary skills... Self learning is a necessity along with a good foundating of the basic and more advanced skills.

In the last 2.5 years, there have been 4 washouts in the SA-227 Training program, out of over 50 applicants. The first time pass rate is low but those individuals have all been retrained and rechecked successfully.

Remember that airlines are businesses that while need training/checking is a necessary evil is not their primary business motive (ala flightsafety). There are significant time restraints that applicants are expected to fall under to verify progress and little time to retrain necessary skills... Self learning is a necessity along with a good foundating of the basic and more advanced skills.

This is a serious problem. Companies are there to make money, yes, and self-learning is necessary, however, the primary business motive of the training department is to produce pilots. If the first time pass rate is low, they're screwing up.

You think so??? Do you have any knowledge on what people are making mistakes on to cause the first time failures???

I can assure you, I do have that knowledge...

You think so??? Do you have any knowledge on what people are making mistakes on to cause the first time failures???

I can assure you, I do have that knowledge...

Uhuh, right, so an incredibly high initial fail rate is ok, when most other companies don't have that?

Amflight can do what it wants, but a high fail rate is not something to be proud of.

Uhuh, right, so an incredibly high initial fail rate is ok, when most other companies don't have that?

Amflight can do what it wants, but a high fail rate is not something to be proud of.

When you go to FSI you train to the checkride, and you end up practicing the checkride.. When you come to SA-227 training at AMF you are training to fly that airplane anywhere anytime. The majority of the failures are altitude deviations (descending below MDA, or a published altitude on an approach)...

Got any stats for these "other companies?"

Have you ever been to flight safety? Whatever man, believe what you want, I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't work for Amflight nor do I desire to, you guys do what you want.

Yeah, thats not something i would go around trumpeting. If there is a constant problem with people passing check rides on the first go, and for usually the same things, most training departments would view that as a deficiency in their training and work to solve it. Maybe AMF has done this, IDK.

Then again, people shouldn't need to be trained to not blow through MDAs, or to not go out to AZ to fly some "special cargo." But apparently both are a problem over there.

Yeah, thats not something i would go around trumpeting. If there is a constant problem with people passing check rides on the first go, and for usually the same things, most training departments would view that as a deficiency in their training and work to solve it. Maybe AMF has done this, IDK.

Then again, people shouldn't need to be trained to not blow through MDAs, or to not go out to AZ to fly some "special cargo." But apparently both are a problem over there.

Hard to correct a deficiency that never shows up in the training environment (such as altitude deviations).... As always, faults are identified and improvements made to the process but inevitebly, when a checkride comes strange mistakes (sometimes first time ever making that mistake) can be made by individuals for no identifiable reason other than the stress of taking that checkride.. The only consistency is that the failures are in the checkrides but truly, as with any examiner they will tell you that failures are all across the board... Please note, I have not put any stats up and with no reason on what happened to cause the issue or deviation so "the majority" truly could only be one or two.. I would love for a 100% pass rate and the goal is to reach that target...

I can see the first time pass rate being lower than say on the Najavo or 99 program simply because due to it being an ATP ride in most cases you don't have the opportunity to do the "pause" the checkride -- hey you screwed that up, try again -- up to 3 times like a regular 135 checkride.

Really, 4 out of 50 on initial does not sound extremely high, especially for a single pilot demanding airplane.

Really, 4 out of 50 on initial does not sound extremely high, especially for a single pilot demanding airplane.
Is it 4 out of 50 on the initial, or 4 out of 50 re-checks included? The former is completely acceptable, the latter maybe not depending on the initial failures.

Back