Cargo-dog luggage choices?

jboynm

Swiggity-Swooty
Those airline guys can't have all the fun with their luggage threads, right? Looking for some quality suggestions... and here's what I'm looking for:

I'm looking for the perfect (or near-perfect) flight bag.

I'd like something with enough room for a Bose headset, EFB, backup battery, chargers, misc. cords, etc. I *do* have a 17" laptop that I'd *like* to take with me on trips (>!4 days on the road). If there's anything out there that is rugged and secure enough, I'd like to take everything on the road. I also understand that commercial'ing on some airlines, such as Emirates, now have a 7kg carry-on weight restriction, which really blows taking my laptop with me on trips out of the water.

Do any of you guys/gals haul a computer around with you? Is it worth the hassle of maybe going over a carry-on limit or possibly having it stolen during overnights in not-so-pleasant areas? The alternative is to leave the laptop at home and live life on the road with just an iPad. If that was the case, the bag I have my eye on the most is the Brightline series.

TL;DR: I'm just looking for that "magical" solution to being able to take a 17" laptop on the road, commerical'ing on various airlines, without having issues with overweight carry-ons or theft during hotel sits.

P.S. Space on the aircraft is not an issue (widebody)... it's all a matter of convenience.

Thanks!

Or perhaps we can just turn this into a "luggage thread", if people don't mind sharing what they use for bag choices on the road (flight/personal)?

Or perhaps we can just turn this into a "luggage thread", if people don't mind sharing what they use for bag choices on the road (flight/personal)?

I just bought one of these:
https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags...0362791&lastsearchterm=professional+weekender

There's a 5 minute video on the linked page above that covers all the features.

I needed something slightly larger than my company-issued Targus backpack. I wanted something a little more professional-looking than many backpacks I've seen that gave me options and carried at least a change of clothes plus all my work stuff.

It hauls my computer, ac adapter(s), tablet, sunglasses, LARGE hardcover moleskine, other accessories, plus a change of clothes (2 if I'm careful) and a shaving kit. It's really well-made, doesn't look like a lot of backpacks with carabiners and snaps and logos and stuff, and the backpack and sternum straps stow. It's got a shoulder strap as well as a side-handle for a more traditional look.

I love this thing. It's extremely well-made, TSA friendly (I have precheck so that's less of an issue) and will fit in any overhead. It's perfect for me for a 2-day trip.

You could get a Bose headset in there, but I'd probably just strap/clip the bose headset case onto the outside to save space and give the headset more protection.

I had a Luggageworks Stealth but it was too heavy and I didn't like the metal frame. Now I have a cheap Swiss bag which has held up fairly well for the last 3 years.

I just bought one of these:
https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags...0362791&lastsearchterm=professional+weekender

There's a 5 minute video on the linked page above that covers all the features.

I needed something slightly larger than my company-issued Targus backpack. I wanted something a little more professional-looking than many backpacks I've seen that gave me options and carried at least a change of clothes plus all my work stuff.

It hauls my computer, ac adapter(s), tablet, sunglasses, LARGE hardcover moleskine, other accessories, plus a change of clothes (2 if I'm careful) and a shaving kit. It's really well-made, doesn't look like a lot of backpacks with carabiners and snaps and logos and stuff, and the backpack and sternum straps stow. It's got a shoulder strap as well as a side-handle for a more traditional look.

I love this thing. It's extremely well-made, TSA friendly (I have precheck so that's less of an issue) and will fit in any overhead. It's perfect for me for a 2-day trip.

You could get a Bose headset in there, but I'd probably just strap/clip the bose headset case onto the outside to save space and give the headset more protection.
I may be too young to order someone off my lawn, but I'm old enough to still cringe at a professional pilot (or someone in a suit) slinging a back pack around the ramp. This is a nice compromise, and perhaps I wouldn't look down my nose at you sporting this one...;)
Every time this topic comes up, I swear by my travel pro. Fantastic quality and it doesn't scream airline pilot like those tanks I have to be careful not to scratch the paint with as I haul it up into my baggage compartment. (I usually hurt myself trying to save the plane!)
Bonus, when I'm airlining somewhere, the FA thinks I'm one of them and I get hooked up with a seat and or drinks.

I may be too young to order someone off my lawn, but I'm old enough to still cringe at a professional pilot (or someone in a suit) slinging a back pack around the ramp. This is a nice compromise, and perhaps I wouldn't look down my nose at you sporting this one...;)
Every time this topic comes up, I swear by my travel pro. Fantastic quality and it doesn't scream airline pilot like those tanks I have to be careful not to scratch the paint with as I haul it up into my baggage compartment. (I usually hurt myself trying to save the plane!)
Bonus, when I'm airlining somewhere, the FA thinks I'm one of them and I get hooked up with a seat and or drinks.
So you don’t want something that screams airline pilot but enjoy something that screams flight attendant?

I love my Osprey backpack. If I flew passengers more than the occasional trip (like twice a year) I probably would try to look more adult. But if you're flying cargo, who cares?

Hangs on the top of my rollaboard, packs a lot, can make a single trip up the airstairs/ladder to cockpit without risking your life, and I can empty it all out and have something to carry on a hike in Hong Kong.

Right now I have the plastic frame luggageworks and have no complaints, but when that dies I think I might get the Osprey Ozone 22" rollaboard. I love the backpack so far and all their stuff dined with one of those guarantees where it can get sucked through a CF6, I mail them what is left and they fix it or give me a new one.

So you don’t want something that screams airline pilot but enjoy something that screams flight attendant?
Yeah, I'm a conflicted soul. Besides, I don't think the skipper is coming back to make me a Bloody Mary anytime soon.

I was actually randomly at the Luggage Works HQ in BFE Missouri yesterday. Pretty cool peeps.

20622319_10101226260436448_8679430967541650383_n.jpg

I love my Osprey backpack. If I flew passengers more than the occasional trip (like twice a year) I probably would try to look more adult. But if you're flying cargo, who cares?

Hangs on the top of my rollaboard, packs a lot, can make a single trip up the airstairs/ladder to cockpit without risking your life, and I can empty it all out and have something to carry on a hike in Hong Kong.

Right now I have the plastic frame luggageworks and have no complaints, but when that dies I think I might get the Osprey Ozone 22" rollaboard. I love the backpack so far and all their stuff dined with one of those guarantees where it can get sucked through a CF6, I mail them what is left and they fix it or give me a new one.

I've actually contemplated the same thing. Nobody on our 3-pilot airplane cares about using a backpack. But like you, if I end up with a 4 day sit somewhere, at least I'd have a backpack to explore around with. Do you have a laptop also? Do you take it with you? Have you ever worried about stuff being lifted from your room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that's the thing. I like having the utility of a backpack, but this bag will also stow the straps and ride on my rollaboard (which is a Briggs and Riley) and has a side-and-shoulder strap to be carried like a more conventional briefcase. No logos, basic black. It works for what I do and keeps the professional aesthetic intact, which is a factor in my job.

Well, that's the thing. I like having the utility of a backpack, but this bag will also stow the straps and ride on my rollaboard (which is a Briggs and Riley) and has a side-and-shoulder strap to be carried like a more conventional briefcase. No logos, basic black. It works for what I do and keeps the professional aesthetic intact, which is a factor in my job.

Awesome! I had come across a few bags that double as backpacks but still look great and piggyback on a rollaboard! Great suggestion!

I've actually contemplated the same thing. Nobody on our 3-pilot airplane cares about using a backpack. But like you, if I end up with a 4 day sit somewhere, at least I'd have a backpack to explore around with. Do you have a laptop also? Do you take it with you? Have you ever worried about stuff being lifted from your room?

Yup. My backpack has a slot for my laptop (11 inch...though bigger may fit) as well as my iPad.

As for the fear of things being lifted...it's a concern, but really there isn't a ton to do about it. Use common sense, put stuff in the safe of provided. Otherwise I just try not to leave things in obvious places. Sometimes I'll actually pack things up and hide them somewhere. Like for example if you have floor to ceiling curtains, behind those and in the corner behind the chair that nobody sits in can be a good place...at least I think so.

I think it's probably safer there than taking it out on the streets with me, but I at least try to split my credit cards that way if the things in my room or in my wallet disappear, I still have options.

Yup. My backpack has a slot for my laptop (11 inch...though bigger may fit) as well as my iPad.

As for the fear of things being lifted...it's a concern, but really there isn't a ton to do about it. Use common sense, put stuff in the safe of provided. Otherwise I just try not to leave things in obvious places. Sometimes I'll actually pack things up and hide them somewhere. Like for example if you have floor to ceiling curtains, behind those and in the corner behind the chair that nobody sits in can be a good place...at least I think so.

I think it's probably safer there than taking it out on the streets with me, but I at least try to split my credit cards that way if the things in my room or in my wallet disappear, I still have options.

My issue is my laptop is a 17". No way that's fitting in a safe. I suppose I could also lock it in my rollaboard. I'll check out the Osprey. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I truly don't get the airline pilots vs backpacks thing. Like I get that some places don't allow them in uniform, but for places that don't care the people that still do have major high school issues.

Back