Cargo Aircraft

stuckingfk

What kind of the various light single and multi-engine aircraft used by cargo carriers around the U.S.?

I know many use the 210, 310, Caravan, Baron and others. Just wondering what everyone sees here at their local airport.

Also, does anyone know the difference insurance wise when comparing fixed and retractable gear? The reason I ask, would it be cheaper to haul cargo in a fixed gear aircraft (based on insurance) rather than retractable gear aircraft? Lets say the differences between the two aircraft are minimal in most areas.

There is no limit to the types of airplane flown by cargo operators. THeyll pul anyting in the air to haul checks or cargo. C172 to a C208. Aztec, travelair, navajo etc etc etc.

I asked those questions because a friend and I were discussing hauling cargo (boxes, checks, anything) and which aircraft would be better and cheaper insurance whise, and if having cheaper insurance allowed for a better aircraft purchase. See I don't have a clue to how much aircraft insurance costs so if anyone has idea, reply!

Well I proposed hauling cargo in a Cirrus SR22 because of its lifting capability, has fixed gear, great cockpit, and it is very safe. A drawback to the SR22, it is a very expensive airplane to purchase initially compared to much other older aircraft. What does everyone else think of this idea? I think it is a good one, but probably not feasable because of the initial purchase price.

The draw back is its too nice! Honesty though you wouldnt want an airplane like that carrying around farm equipment one day and Goldfish the next. Yes having a fixed gear airplane will help w insurance costs, but having something like a 210 allows for speed (although not Cr22 speed) and the crapability to be a Cargoplane.
Also,when your bidding for contract, no one really cares how safe it is or what avionics it has. They want to know how long its going to take it to get there and if they can count on the reliabilty of it being on time. The safety is assumed, and the frankly they dont care, they just want there goods delivered!

[ QUOTE ]
The safety is assumed, and the frankly they dont care, they just want there goods delivered!

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally understand that and it was just conversation. A SR22 would more suit the 2-3 man charter crowd. The reason why I suggested the SR22 was maybe since it is a safer airplane, the insurance would be that much lower (when compared to a retractable) that it would make it affordable to own that aircraft. I think this is why Cessna has the caravan!

Why not just get a New Piper 6X or an old Cherokee 6. I'm sure they can haul more then the SR22.

heck if you want to spend that much you might as well go all out.
smile.gif

you can get a descent Piper Cheiftain with good airframe and engine times for around $150,000

ext-1.jpg

Here are some numbers for the SR22:

Max Gross Wt 3,400 lbs
Std Empty Wt 2,250 lbs
Maximum Useful Load 1,150 lbs
Fuel Capacity (Usable) 81 gals/486 lbs

Now this is with standard equipment and a 180 kt cruise speed with a 700 NM range at this cruise speed. I am sure you could shed a lot of weight by gutting some of the inside or just order the plane without some seats and other things.

Piper 6X

Maximum Useful load 1440 lbs
Fuel Capacity 102 gals
Cruise Speed 153 kts

I couldn't find the other numbers but the new piper 6's look great on paper, only drawback, lower speed and higher fuel burn rate. But it sure can haul a lot.

[ QUOTE ]
Here are some numbers for the SR22:

Max Gross Wt 3,400 lbs
Std Empty Wt 2,250 lbs
Maximum Useful Load 1,150 lbs
Fuel Capacity (Usable) 81 gals/486 lbs

Now this is with standard equipment and a 180 kt cruise speed with a 700 NM range at this cruise speed. I am sure you could shed a lot of weight by gutting some of the inside or just order the plane without some seats and other things.

Piper 6X

Maximum Useful load 1440 lbs
Fuel Capacity 102 gals
Cruise Speed 153 kts

I couldn't find the other numbers but the new piper 6's look great on paper, only drawback, lower speed and higher fuel burn rate. But it sure can haul a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the 6X or the XT. The XT can go about 10 knots faster, but your only going to save maybe 10 minutes on a normal flight so the differences shouldn't matter cruise wise.

Back