Career question regarding degrees...

[ QUOTE ]
If I may ask a personal question, how old are ya?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is 25, found that by clicking on his username.

SA Doug!!! jk
grin.gif

Hey hey hey, some of us like reading Plato and writing papers about that kinda stuff. "The Trial and Death of Socrates" is one of history's all time classics that everyone should cherish.

[ QUOTE ]
You can buy anything on eBay!

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it just me or does most of their stuff have that "Made with Microsoft Publisher" look to it????

I do love their "legal" section, where they explain how they're not exactly illegal and are accredited by a similarly-shady accreditation body.

Personal experience from an 121 interview

Get the freaking degree!!!!!

120+hrs of college credit over 4 years and no degree yet, try to explain that.

My .02 is that if something says "recommended" in the current industry, it's more or less required. Now, in Kit Darby's utopia of pilot shortages, that might not be true. Yes, you can get hired with an Associates (or even without a degree at all), but why run the risk? As far as online classes, it depends on how much you load yourself up. I generally take two classes a term from ERAU, and I can get all the work done in 6 hours if I stay focused. Would I want to do that rather than hang out with the rest of the flight crew on an overnight? Hell, no. Would I want to do that for 6 hours out of my one day off that week? Again, hell no. Online degrees are not an easy way out. They are simply another means of attaining a goal. Ophir will back me up on the ERAU classes. They aren't cake, and you have to be on top of yourself to pass.

I am in your shoes too, but I've realized that I am at a young age like yourself and we have time. I wouldn't want to miss out on college life to run in a rat race to a regional... they aren't going anywhere.

It seems to me from what I have learned here is that if possible it is best to buckle up and earn the Bachelor's. Once you have that piece of paper that shows "you're the man" you can put forth all your energy toward an aviation career.

I understand seniority, but it may prove hard to juggle school work and fly 6 legs a day and sitting in a hotel writing papers while your crew is partying hard.

My .02 cents

[ QUOTE ]
Would I want to do that rather than hang out with the rest of the flight crew on an overnight? Hell, no. Would I want to do that for 6 hours out of my one day off that week? Again, hell no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that does put more things into consideration. I don't want to be the party pooper thats back in the hotel while the crew is out. Problem is I just can't see myself going off to a 4 year University and not flying for 2 years!

Another thought, what if I stayed at my FBO and did my training with them while taking ERAU classes online? Or is that too much of an overload of work? Would that take too long of a time to get my degree and ratings?

Also Kellwolf, with your two classes you said you have 6 hours of work. That is per week right?

[ QUOTE ]
LOL...well...lets talk about this for a bit. Lets assume it's an online degree program. Knock out assigments from hotel rooms on a laptop, etc. Might take awhile, but i dont see why it wouldnt be possible. If i'm wrong, or if its impossible, please do enlighten me....

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how other airlines are, but at XJT most of our overnights are short. I do well to get 5 hours of sleep. Also factor that not all hotels have free internet, and that we do overnights in Mexico, and it's no wonder my laptop stays home these days.

Short? Most of mine are over 14 hours! Must be a IAH thing. I wouldn't want to spend more than 9 hours in LCH, BTR, MAF, BPT, MAF...
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Short? Most of mine are over 14 hours! Must be a IAH thing. I wouldn't want to spend more than 9 hours in LCH, BTR, MAF, BPT, MAF...
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still on reserve and thus get what nobody wants, so that may be a factor. But almost all of my trips start out with one long overnight, then two more very short overnights. Then again, more than 9 hours in BPT or LCH isn't a good thing.

[ QUOTE ]
Problem is I just can't see myself going off to a 4 year University and not flying for 2 years!

Another thought, what if I stayed at my FBO and did my training with them while taking ERAU classes online? Or is that too much of an overload of work? Would that take too long of a time to get my degree and ratings?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why more people don't see the value in getting their ratings BEFORE starting college, then CFI-ing part time while going to school. After 4 years, you'll have a degree AND your 1000+ hrs, less college debt, and be ready to waltz into a regional job!

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why more people don't see the value in getting their ratings BEFORE starting college, then CFI-ing part time while going to school. After 4 years, you'll have a degree AND your 1000+ hrs, less college debt, and be ready to waltz into a regional job!

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to see that there are others that also support that route. Is this what you did or are doing right now? If so, can you tell a little about your experience, such as was it difficult to do both at the same time and what online program you did? Thanks!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Thats what I'm planning on doing. I'm going to a tech school right now and will graduate with an associate degree in professional aviation with CFI, CFII.

Then I'll instruct at least once a week or maybe twice will attending a four-year uni. But I'm going to take at least 12 credits to be a full-time student so that wont leave much time for instructing, but will get me my B.S. in about 2 years. Then I can start instructing full time and get that TT climbing fast. And you have to remember, this is only a plan.

I would like to think theres no reason to rush your training to get on with whatever airline you want. From what I'm thinking, it would be hard for the industry to get any worse than it is right now. But if it does get substantially worse, will you still be looking to join it? I wouldn't. So slow down buckaroo, the airlines aren't going anywhere without you...

[ QUOTE ]
Glad to see that there are others that also support that route. Is this what you did or are doing right now?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Commercial flying wasn't an option to me back then due to the tighter vision standards and didn't become one until they were relaxed in the mid-'90s.

And don't do an online degree program--you're robbing yourself of the most beneficial aspects of a college education by doing so.

Yep that sounds like a very good plan....goin to college full time after you get the ratings and CFI part time. But...i dont want to quit my fire dept. job to go to college full time, when i can work on a degree from a laptop at the fire station....i have a LOT of down time in a 24 hr shift...plenty of time. In fact there are a few other guys that do the same thing.....spend good portions of the day working on schoolwork. We arent a very busy department, so it's easy to get a lot of personal stuff done while on duty.

yep heading180....had to decide against DCA. I mean i really would have loved to go down there. Main thing is....there is no time to hold a job when your there...so i'd have to leave the fire department and move, and have no way to supplement myself. I'm not one with tons of money in a savings account to fall back on. So i need to stay employed. Which is the reason ATP was the final answer...the 10 month self paced. I can stay at the fire dept, train on my days off, etc. Less money, more multi, i stay home, keep my job....kinda outweighs goin down to DCA.

I am looking forward to going to DCA.. but you tell anyone here that and you seem to get the 3rd degree..haha.. good luck at ATP
grin.gif

LOL.....ur right about that !! If i was goin to DCA....i prolly would have just told everyone i was goin somewhere else...to keep myself out of hot water here !! Thanks though !! and good luck to you also....enjoy the weather down there ( u suck !!! )
tongue.gif

Back