Career Opportunities with Dual citizenship..

jspeed87

I know it's early but I like to do my research and be well prepared. I'm currently at Ari Ben Aviator and my flight training is progressing good and I'm happy down here. But I still don't know if I want to flight instruct. :dunno: I'm researching Airlines in other countries that would hire a pilot with a CMEL and 260 hours. My Mother is from central america(Honduras) maybe I could get a chance with Copa Airlines? My father is from colombia, and Avianca, Colombia's biggest airline is expanding and getting new aircraft. Can anybody point me in what chances I have with dual citizenship. I'm fluent in spanish.
Edit: Copa is adding 13 NG's to their fleet, good news! They may be hiring soon.

You could definitely IMO get on these countries airlines IF they offer dual citizenship! Jamaica (my decent) does, and I am a dual citizen, Air Jamaica also only happens to hire Jamaican pilots which is good because I can get on either way! Then again, with all this talk of being owned by Spirit, who knows... I don't think I would want to fly with Air J if they are to be owned by Spirit because of the fact that Spirit is one of the worst paying outfits, and Air J is the best in the Caribbean... Also I think you should check or try to talk to pilots who fly for those airlines just to see if they are happy at their companies... It is hard being that there are very few Intl Pilots here, especially south of Florida! You could still go up to the cockpit anytime you plan on visiting family in either countries and talk to them, try to network!:)

As for the 260 hours, I would think they would want atleast 1000, Air Jamaica requires 1500,FAA licences, and some Radio Ops thing, last I checked unless you know someone...

You could definitely IMO get on these countries airlines IF they offer dual citizenship! Jamaica (my decent) does, and I am a dual citizen, Air Jamaica also only happens to hire Jamaican pilots which is good because I can get on either way! Then again, with all this talk of being owned by Spirit, who knows... I don't think I would want to fly with Air J if they are to be owned by Spirit because of the fact that Spirit is one of the worst paying outfits, and Air J is the best in the Caribbean... Also I think you should check or try to talk to pilots who fly for those airlines just to see if they are happy at their companies... It is hard being that there are very few Intl Pilots here, especially south of Florida! You could still go up to the cockpit anytime you plan on visiting family in either countries and talk to them, try to network!:)

As for the 260 hours, I would think they would want atleast 1000, Air Jamaica requires 1500,FAA licences, and some Radio Ops thing, last I checked unless you know someone...

you again... lol Coming down to the Aviator to visit? Actually in Colombia, you will get hired as a FO into the A320 or the Dash all you need is 250 hours and a multi-engine rating. The pay is better then US regionals which makes me seriously consider going that route.

you again... lol Coming down to the Aviator to visit? Actually in Colombia, you will get hired as a FO into the A320 or the Dash all you need is 250 hours and a multi-engine rating. The pay is better then US regionals which makes me seriously consider going that route.
Then go for it my freind! and yes I will be there Aug 24th haha. You need to find out if they do accept dual citizenship first though because alot of countries don't...

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were you. The first step is to contact the embassies of the relevant nations and see about the question of dual citizenship. It can be anything from impossible to easy...usually somewhere in between. If you have direct lineage, it's usually somewhat easier. Unfortunately for me, my people have been here since everyone had wooden teeth and funny hats or I'd be right behind you...

You might also want to look into having the correct licenses. For instance, there are differences in having JAA and FAA licenses. Im not sure what each country in South and Central America require in terms of correct licenses.

Did a little bit of research on this having just got back from Brazil on vacation. The opportunities are certainly present for those that are willing to get through the hassle of converting their ratings to the new agency's standards. Like jawd stated, it is great that these countries accept citizens only. Training is often prohibitively expensive for most nationals so we have the benefit of "cheap" training in the US couple with the job opportunities of developing nations.

In Brazil, the posted minimums for TAM and GOL (Airbus and 737s respectively) are 1500 total. I've heard however that someone who received their training in the US and is fluent in English could probably get in with lower. Azul (Brazil's Jetblue) requires nothing more than a C-MEL.

I have a buddy that just moved there with a C-MEL and he was lucky enough to get hired into a US registered corporate jet. No need to convert anything.

This is definitely something that you dual-citizens should look into.

Back