Career guidance

MRMIKE0815

Hey All,
I came across this site when I was looking around at flight schools and such. Everyone on here seems pretty intelligent and knowledgeable. I wanted to see if I could have some help. I am currently in the military and looking to get out. I have always wanted to become and airline pilot. I want to separate from the military and go to school. Does anyone have any suggestions on where the best place to go is. And should I just get the licenses or should I attend a four year university. I would like to attend somewhere in or around California. Thanks for any help.

Hey All,
I came across this site when I was looking around at flight schools and such. Everyone on here seems pretty intelligent and knowledgeable. I wanted to see if I could have some help. I am currently in the military and looking to get out. I have always wanted to become and airline pilot. I want to separate from the military and go to school. Does anyone have any suggestions on where the best place to go is. And should I just get the licenses or should I attend a four year university. I would like to attend somewhere in or around California. Thanks for any help.

If you're using the GI Bill, you should be able to get ratings and such at a Part 141 school that is qualified. That being said, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting the degree as well. There's no reason to be in any great rush to get everything done since I don't see a huge wave of hiring coming up any time soon. I think what we saw the past couple of years was an isolated phenomena, and we're back to the normal hiring stages of the game. When I first started training in 2001, jobs at regionals were hard to come by. It was that way for a least a couple of years, and some cracks started to show in the armor by about 2004. When I got hired early in 2006, it was started to relax more, but you still pretty much needed 1000 total time and 100 multi-engine to get most regionals to even look at your app (unless you did some sort of bridge program). The flood gates opened pretty much mid-2006 until early 2008, and they've been slammed shut since then. I think we're pretty much back to where we were in about 2002-2003 in terms of hiring. I won't say 2001 since there's actually a couple of regionals hiring right now. If you believe the industry is cyclical (and I do), odds are good that we'll probably cycle through another hiring boom in about 4-5 years. Perfect timing if you're looking to get the degree done.

Then again, I could be WAAAAY off. If I had a working crystal ball, I'd be a rich, retired investor rather than an airline pilot.

I agree with getting a degree. Your VA benes would pay for that. The best jobs in aviation will always be had much easier if you have the degree. You don't need a degree in aviation, either. I'd suggest majoring in a second area of interest as a fall back.

Some people press on without the degree and hope for the best. Some don't have the time for school and just need to enter the biz as quickly as possible. Just understand that the best paying jobs are the hardest to get without a degree. That said, a 40k to 60k job can be had, without a degree, after getting your ratings and being in the biz for a few years. If one had no reason to shoot higher than that, then a degree is not so important.

As far as schools, 141 schools that do VA stuff would be the place to look. Best if you can find one fairly local, unless you are willing to move. If you say where in CA you are looking, some people might be able to make some suggestions.

If you are looking for a school in Califorina, Pinnacle Aviation Academy has a great reputation. They have really well maintained aircraft and have agreements for College Credit at several different colleges - you can get your aviation degree while doing your flight training. they also are 141 so they will be able to process your GI bill. http://www.pinnacleacademy.com/career/
Good luck!

Yea it doesn't really matter where in California. I am just looking for any suggestions on what the best schools would be. Thanks for the help.

Back