Career change??

Mine cost me about 10-12 grand. Though I had to start and stop quite a lot because of college which probably added to my total cost. If your looking for cheap, train in their cessna 172's or Tomahawks. They charge extra for the garmin warriors they have. For private pilot VFR training, dual garmin GPS' are a bit unnecessary. You can get everything from your private to your ATP there so don't worry about that. They're not that busy right now with the winter approaching, so I'm sure you could find a full-time instructor and get your private rather quickly (weather permitting).

All the advice is great but with one small problem. I have an MBA in Finance and Accounting. When I was out of a flying job I worked as an accountant (for a great salary) for a bit over a year. I have never HATED a job so much. Everyday was a struggle. I never hated life so much as to daily wake up and go to my cubicle and do the same SH$% everyday. Close out a month, start over again. Be very careful in doing what you hate to do as time will move slower than every before and one day you will realize how miserable you are. Happiest day was when I quit and went back to flying for a 135 gig. Paid less but I had a smile ear to ear. Over time it progressed and now I grew to be a chief pilot at a 91 company. Keep working hard at your goals. Remember everything is a journey but keep the destination in mind. Keep plowing forward if this is really what you want to do. Remember you only have one chance at this game of life. Never get old and regret your choices, but make intelligent decisions!

This.

If you really want to be a pilot, then I would be a pilot! :) I went for a change as well a couple of years ago. I worked on my ratings part-time while making enough money to live and pay for it. I recommend this, as it lets you know if you really like it enough to commit to it 100%. Once I got my commercial, then I started to transition to full-time employment as a pilot.

The road is hard right now, and who knows it might get worse before it gets better. But if you want to do it, you will find a way.

Good luck!

How much did your PPL cost? As i browsed their website i did not see anything about other type ratings. Do they have CPL and others.
Thanks

In a Tomahawk (2-seater) you can get the PPL for less than 7K.
I did CPL-single, CPL-multi, CFI and I'm doing CFII training there. You can even get your ATP-multi in the Seminole once you have the requirements. I instruct there so you can PM me with any questions you may have.

How much did your PPL cost? As i browsed their website i did not see anything about other type ratings. Do they have CPL and others.

Thanks
Just fyi . . . any CFI can train you for your commerical rating. It is a pretty easy rating to get, so most places dont advertise "Commerical Pilots License". I've known some folks to get it in as little as 10 hours.

If you want a career in aviation it is all about mulit-engine time (for the most part). So you must get your PVT, COMM, INST and COMM MULTI to do ANYTHING in Aviation. Some folks get their private then do the rest in a twin ( I wouldnt recommend that) that way they build more twin time. Some of the flight instructors I used to work with have well over 2000 single engine hours, but cant get a job, because they dont have enough multi time. Not that anyone is really hiring right now anyways!

You said you start working part time on your ratings. What type of ratings do you have now, how long did it took and how much did it cost you all together.

Thank you

I currently am at 1700tt (400 multi), CMEL/CSEL, (getting ATP in a couple of weeks), CFI/CFII/MEI, AGI/IGI.

Right out of college I did the Americorps for a bit and taught High School on an Indian Reservation. During that time I decided that I wanted to start flying. I always had flown a little since my Dad and Grandfather are pilots, but I guess I didn't look at it like a career.

Once I got done with that, around 2003, I started working for a software company. I did onsite software installation and training at hospitals around the United States. So while I was traveling all week, I started flying on the weekends.

Even at this time I wasn't 100% heading down the aviation path, but in 2005 I went at it on a more consistant base. I quit my job training and started working a more local job so I could fly during the week as well. I finished up my CMEL in 2006. In the end it kind of worked out, since I paid as I went and the multi was the most expensive.

Hindsight 20/20 I could have done it faster I am sure. I think someone could get all of their ratings in 1-1.5 years while working. Once you get the commerical you can finish the CFI and see what's out there.

Costwise, I can let you know where I went to school. Some of the deals are not there anymore, but it wasn't too bad.

I started at West Bend Air (in West Bend, WI.) Their current rates are $85 for C-172, like $60 for a 152 and $109 for the arrow. That is wet too, so not too bad. I think at the time I was paying like 70 something for the 172, so that hasn't gone up much. If you are small, (I am too big for sure), you could get the 152.

At the time, multi was gold, so I decided to do my Instrument/ CMEL while building multi time. I found a place in Oshkosh, WI. called Aviation Services Company.

Here is what he offers now:

"Complete in 6 weeks or less. Includes certification for Commercial, with single & Multi Engine Land Class ratings, Instrument rating. 100 hours Multi Engine, 75 hours Single, 20 hours Simulator, 100 hours Ground, 4 Flight Tests, 2 knowledge tests and all course materials and charts."

All of that time is 32k. So that is all included. At the time I was paying 120 per hour for multi. I think he charges 187.00 now, which is quite a bit more. The Pro-package is nice though. He is a high time ex DC3 pilot and examiner too. If you can fly the Apache, you will find flying a Seneca or something similar very easy. It is also an older place, but it reminds you of the good ole days. One time his little dog got up on the table and pissed all over my FAR's while we were out flying. That was pretty funny. Can you say, Anti-authority! :)

Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Of course i love flying. It is in my blood. You are right, i should not have such high exception at this time. But i just want to have some idea about weather i have a chance to get into such companies .

Here's the thing. You aren't really going to know if it is something you will enjoy until you actually end up doing it. Most of the CFIs I have known were part timers - lawyers/doctors/engineers during the week. Most got burned out and "retired" from instructing, and for a while, flying altogether.

Speaking with one yesterday (who is not renewing his CFI, but is signing me off for mine first) - he mentioned getting a call about knocking out an add-on rating for an out-of-towner. He had no interest at all in teaching someone he wouldn't ever see again. I'm guessing most new CFIs here would jump at having a full time student for a week.

I am just now getting to the point where I can basically fly either for free or some nominal pay whenever I want. I can easily see myself getting burned out from it. And I have no plans to ever fly for an airline.

Don't worry about what the minimums are at whatever dream job you have. They will change well before you get enough time anyway. And it might not be such a great gig in the future.

To the original poster:

Go for it. I'm 47 and will be turning 48 in December. I'm still attempting to get medically certified by the FAA, but it will happen. Based on choices I made earlier in life, I've got some hoops to jump through now. It's all good. But it's gonna happen.

My plans are to get medically certified, attend the lowest costing flight school around, bang out my licenses and ratings, instruct, then hit the ground running. I come out of training with NO DEBT. Right now, I talk to every tom, dick & harry I can about aviation and what my goals are at the local airports. In this business, it's definitely who you know. And that's from the Majors to 135. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

JMO.

atp

Has anyone considered a flight operations position, such as crew scheduler or dispatcher to get a foot in the door with an airline to at least have funds while building hours?

Back