Career Change...

AptGuy

Looking for some insight… I am currently in Airport Management, and I have been debating for several months about crossing over into Airline Dispatch. Times are tough and unfortunately due to our economy my ability to re-locate is limited for obvious reasons. (Housing Market) My question is, if I went ahead and attempted to get my dispatcher license this summer, will I decrease my chances of getting a job two years from now when hopefully the economy has turned around? Will the fact that it has been a year or two since school before first applying hurt me? I live in the south east, and I am pretty positive in order to break into the career a move is very likely. Thanks for any help.

AptGuy

Looking for some insight… I am currently in Airport Management, and I have been debating for several months about crossing over into Airline Dispatch. Times are tough and unfortunately due to our economy my ability to re-locate is limited for obvious reasons. (Housing Market) My question is, if I went ahead and attempted to get my dispatcher license this summer, will I decrease my chances of getting a job two years from now when hopefully the economy has turned around? Will the fact that it has been a year or two since school before first applying hurt me? I live in the south east, and I am pretty positive in order to break into the career a move is very likely. Thanks for any help.

AptGuy

AptGuy,

I would recommend to hold off on getting your dispatch license. As you say, your ability to relocate upon completion of school is very limited. That will hurt you in getting work unless there is something waiting in the wings near home? In order to progress with this job, you have to be willing to relocate quickly. I know because I went to interview with Mesa a couple of weeks ago and upon being hired, they would have wanted me to start in three weeks (March 2nd to be exact). I told them I could not make the move that fast because we lived more than 13 hours away. One thing you might consider, is that you can commute to and from work if you really want to start dispatch work, but most of us will tell you that it gets old real fast. Especially since its on your own time and dime. Not to mention the starting wages for dispatch are pathetic, that could hurt you too. My advice would be to assess your situation from all angles and decide if getting into dispatch right now would be beneficial or not. If you find that it is not, then save your money until your situation improves. Dispatch schools will still be around and waiting for you to begin. Hope this helps.

Good Luck on your endeavors

mission!

Mission,

Thanks for the info… Unfortunately, there isn’t much available in my local area right now, atleast no positions that are currently posted online. I have debated the commute option, maybe even with Pinnacle due to the fact I am only a 5hr drive from Memphis, but with a new born I don’t think that is even an option. Does anyone know of any Regional, Major, Cargo or Part 135 based in Georgia? (Besides ASA, World or Delta) Thanks again for all the help. I am not giving up yet, but it might just take a little time.

-AptGuy

Back