career change opinions

michaelgriff2

I'm 38 with a commercial multi IFR and have 350 total time hours. I have a gig on weekends flying right seat in a citation 500 cj and baron. I have a very secure job right now but in the weather all the time (construction). I may have an opportunity to fly full time next year. Will have to take a small pay cut but will benefits and security. The question is am I too old to try and make a career change?

I'm 38 with a commercial multi IFR and have 350 total time hours. I have a gig on weekends flying right seat in a citation 500 cj and baron. I have a very secure job right now but in the weather all the time (construction). I may have an opportunity to fly full time next year. Will have to take a small pay cut but will benefits and security. The question is am I too old to try and make a career change?

Not too old at all. I made the switch in my 40's. I had enough hours for 135 charter at the time, but I took a LARGE salary cut. Luckily my wife had great benefits and we had a pretty good start on retirement monies already put away, and a healthy cash buffer to make up the difference in salary for the first few years. (Well, I guess I shouldn't say "luckily" since we had things planned out and were pretty sure we wouldn't get caught short if the primary plans fell apart.)

Plan ahead, have contingency plans in place in case that new job's "security" isn't quite so secure, and dive in.

Thanks Steve. I guess we can always second guess ourselves. It's just that there are so many people in this world who never even get the opportunity to fly! I have decided that if the chance comes along I will catch the blue sky.

No, you're not.

I'm 46, 1987 college grad, sporadic work history at best in airport ops and other non-aviation jobs. I can't do nothing but go up from this point. Waiting on word from Wash. DC to be awarded First Class Medical so that I can start my training. Got the flight school picked out and everything.

My hope....fly for either ASA or Comair for 15-18 years, or some corporate gig. When it's all said and done, I'll take a job wherever offered!!!:D

All the best to you.

Blue skies.

atp

350 TT and sitting right seat in a Citation and Barron. What are you crazy? No you not too old! Stick with it and consider yourself very lucky at this time. If you have a chance to fly all week then take it. You can always go back to construction if the flying falls through but this flying chance to advance in your flying career may never get this good for you again. Jump on it! Many would love to be in your shoes. Im saying good luck but it seems you already have that. :)

To Old? I hope not...I'm 40 and just got my CFI...I will be ready when the next hiring surge comes along!:D

Back