Capt Jay Bailey

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Hot damn!

If I hadn't have ridden Captain Bailey's jumpseat back in 1997 when he gave me his card and said Delta was hiring, I would not be where I am today.

Good job and congratulations, sir. Extreme luck met relative preparation that day back in 1997.

——————————————————
'Extraordinary' Capt. Jay Bailey named Ga. Aviation Hall-of-Famer
April 21, 2015

Capt._Bailey.jpg
By Kate Modolo, Corporate Communications

Hall of Fame inductions are reserved for the truly great. On April 18, retired Delta Capt. John “Jay” Bailey was recognized as such by the Georgia Aviation Hall of Fame.

Jay, who retired in 2004, joins 93 other GAHOF inductees, 15 of whom also wore Delta wings during their careers. All, including former Delta CEO Dave Garrett, have been honored for their extraordinary achievements and service that have made outstanding and lasting contributions to aviation in Georgia.

From his time in combat in the U.S. Air Force to his career at Delta that spanned more than 30 years, Jay lived his life by two simple rules:

1. Take the risk when it’s the right thing to do
  2. Reach back and help people.
Capt. Steve Dickson, S.V.P.-Flight Operations presented Jay with his honor at a banquet Saturday at the GAHOF in Macon. Steve shared stories that outlined why Jay is a deserving Hall-of-Famer. Through his affiliations with Delta and the Tuskegee Airmen, Jay’s efforts as a founding member of the Organization of Black Airlines Pilots (OBAP) and as a trailblazer for Aviation Career Enrichment (ACE) camps, the Atlanta Dream Jamboree and Dream Flight have touched thousands of lives.

“The skills and values you have imparted to young adults will be your legacy for future generations of pilots in all facets of aviation,” Richard said of Jay in remarks he provided for the occasion. “You are a tremendous example for all of us, and we stand today in awe of your accomplishments.”

Back