RIP Captain Young

A Life Aloft

Astronaut John Young, who walked on the Moon during Apollo 16 and commanded the first space shuttle mission, died Friday, Jan. 5, 2018, at the age of 87 from complications of pneumonia. Young began his impressive career at NASA in 1962, when he was selected from among hundreds of young pilots to join NASA's second astronaut class, known as the "New Nine."

1515361525406.png

NASA Administrator Robert Lightfoot said in a statement. "Astronaut John Young's storied career spanned three generations of spaceflight; we will stand on his shoulders as we look toward the next human frontier.

“John was one of that group of early space pioneers whose bravery and commitment sparked our nation's first great achievements in space. But, not content with that, his hands-on contributions continued long after the last of his six spaceflights -- a world record at the time of his retirement from the cockpit."

“It would be hard to overstate the impact that John Young had on human space flight,” said Johnson Space Center Director Ellen Ochoa, a former astronaut herself. “Beyond his well-known and groundbreaking six missions through three programs, he worked tirelessly for decades to understand and mitigate the risks that NASA astronauts face. He had our backs.”

After hearing President Kennedy's bold proposal in 1961 to land a man on the Moon and return him safely to Earth, Young said knew what he had to do.

"I thought returning safely to Earth sounded like a good idea," said Young, who stood on the Moon, drove 16 miles in a lunar rover and spent three nights on the lunar surface. He is the only person to go into space as part of the Gemini, Apollo and space shuttle programs and was the first to fly into space six times -- or seven times, when counting his liftoff from the Moon during Apollo 16.

He flew fighter planes for four years, then completed test pilot training and served three years at the Navy's Air Test Center, where he heeded the president's call to go to the Moon.

In March 1965, Young made his first flight as an astronaut, joining Gus Grissom on Gemini 3, the first manned flight of that program. As Young prepared, a sense of obligation overruled excitement or any other emotion.

"We were just thinking about doing the job right," Young said.

Young commanded the Gemini 10 mission in July 1966. He and pilot Mike Collins rendezvoused with two Agena target vehicles, and Collins did a spacewalk to retrieve a micrometeorite detector from one of them.

In May 1969, he served as command module pilot on Apollo 10 and flew all the way to the Moon with crewmates Tom Stafford and Gene Cernan. The crew scouted landing sites from lunar orbit and rendezvoused the lunar module and command module in a full dress rehearsal for the Apollo 11 landing two months later.

1515361691659.png

Young made a return trip to the Moon as commander of Apollo 16 in April 1972. With Ken Mattingly orbiting above in the command module, Young and lunar module pilot Charlie Duke landed in the Descartes highlands. "The moon is a very nice place," Young said. "When we landed, we were 20 minutes behind. Because time on the Moon was so precious, what I remember most is trying to catch up."

Young and Duke set up scientific equipment and explored lunar highlands in the rover. The mission returned more than 200 pounds of Moon rocks gathered from three geological outings.

Young's career was full of firsts, none more notable than in April 1981, when he commanded Space Shuttle Columbia on its -- and the Shuttle program's -- maiden flight, STS-1. It was the first time a piloted spacecraft was tested in space without previous unpiloted orbital flights. Young and pilot Robert Crippen accomplished more than 130 flight test objectives during their almost 55-hour mission.

In late 1983 Young commanded STS-9, the first Spacelab mission. During the 10-day flight, the six crewmembers worked around the clock in 12-hour shifts, involved in more than 70 experiments in a range of scientific disciplines. The mission returned more scientific and technical data than all the Apollo and Skylab missions combined.

In addition to his six spaceflights, Young was a member of five backup crews. He's logged thousands of hours of training and flight time, including a total of 835 hours in space.

In early 1973, he became chief of the Space Shuttle Branch of the Astronaut Office at Johnson Space Center. The following year, Young, who retired from the Navy as a captain in 1976 after 25 years of military service, was named chief of the Astronaut Office, a post he held until May 1987.

1515361969337.png

Young's numerous awards and special honors included the Congressional Space Medal of Honor, three NASA Distinguished Service Medals, the NASA Outstanding Leadership Medal, two Navy Distinguished Service Medals, three Navy Distinguished Flying Crosses, the Georgia Tech Distinguished Young Alumni Award, the Exceptional Engineering Achievement Award and the American Astronautical Society Space Flight Award.

Those are among more than 80 major honors and awards, including four honorary doctorate degrees, Young has received. He was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame in 1988.

1515361934948.png

"Twentieth century man must boldly reach out... And purposefully strive to discover the hidden secrets of our universe. The greatest enemy of progress is the illusion of knowledge." John Young

I've read in several books the common belief that STS-1 was hands down the riskiest NASA mission ever attempted (including Apollo 11).

None of the components of the space shuttle had flown before, but there was no real way to do an unmanned test flight.
That's correct. It was the most exciting, bold and pioneering effort to date. I am always amazed at the calm demeanor of the astronauts when I see the old film footage of them either in meetings and training or in interviews with reporters. And they are always so humble. Yet these incredible men will forever be etched in the history of space flight in this country. They were and remain, heroes to millions and a tremendous inspiration for the entire world.

That's correct. It was the most exciting, bold and pioneering effort to date. I am always amazed at the calm demeanor of the astronauts when I see the old film footage of them either in meetings and training or in interviews with reporters. And they are always so humble. Yet these incredible men will forever be etched in the history of space flight in this country. They were and remain, heroes to millions and a tremendous inspiration for the entire world.

My favorite part of that video is about 2:17; the guy in the foreground jumping up and down and pumping his fist. That was the epitome of American pride in our space program.

What a career John Young had. FUN FACT: He was slated to fly a 7th mission to put Hubble into orbit, but it was cancelled in the wake of the Challenger accident.

He came along when airplanes were made of wood, and men were made of steel! :)

He still holds some time-to-altitude records if I'm not wrong. They stripped down a freaking F-4 and he zoomed that beast across the sky like a homesick angel.
Yeppers. This is from Wiki, just to highlight his Naval career:

After graduating from Georgia Tech in 1952, Young entered the United States Navy through the Navy ROTC and was commissioned on June 6, 1952, as an ensign. He served as fire control officer on the destroyer USS Laws until June 1953 and completed a tour in the Sea of Japan during the Korean War. Following this assignment, he was sent to flight training. In January 1954, he was designated a Navy helicopter pilot. After receiving his aviator wings on December 20, 1954, he was assigned to Fighter Squadron 103 (VF-103) for four years, flying Grumman F-9 Cougars from USS Coral Sea and Vought F-8 Crusaders from USS Forrestal.

After training at the United States Naval Test Pilot School in 1959 with the Class 23, Young was assigned to the Naval Air Test Center at Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Maryland, for three years. His test projects included evaluations of the XF8U-3 Crusader III and F-4 Phantom II fighter weapons systems.

In 1962, he set two world time-to-climb records while flying his Phantom II, attaining 3,000 meters (9,843 ft) from a standing start in 34.52 seconds and 25,000 meters (82,021 ft) from a standing start in 227.6 seconds.

He also served as maintenance officer of Fighter Squadron 143 (VF-143) from April to September 1962.

Fellow astronaut Charles Bolden described Young and Robert "Hoot" Gibson as the two best pilots he had met during his aviation career: "Never met two people like them. Everyone else gets into an airplane; John and Hoot wear their airplane. They're just awesome". Young retired from the Navy as a Captain in September 1976, after 25 years.

Yeah, in his book he tells they stripped an F-4 of all the non-essential stuff (Radar, electronics and wires, armament), and even put some balsa wood on some surfaces. It turned into a true hot rod.

Sad to see all these legends flying west. What amazing men and incredible stories.
My brother and I would build all the models of the various spacecraft and rockets. I still remember all of the family, friends and neighbors gathered around the TV watching the various ticker tape parades that were held in New York to welcome home the returning astronauts. The Moms would make food and it was a national event that played out in living rooms coast to coast. Literally, millions would show up waving little American flags and cheering. Military bands would play and units from all the Armed Forces would march and the astronauts were given awards and medals. Everyone loved and respected them. It was awe inspiring and breathtaking to think of these men traveling so far. They were true American pioneers and heroes.

Fellow astronaut Charles Bolden described Young and Robert "Hoot" Gibson as the two best pilots he had met during his aviation career: "Never met two people like them. Everyone else gets into an airplane; John and Hoot wear their airplane. They're just awesome".

I had the privilege of flying with Hoot Gibson on a Shuttle Training Flight aboard one of NASA's modified G2s some 25 years or so ago. Great guy. Great personality. Really fun and very friendly.

In 1962, he set two world time-to-climb records while flying his Phantom II, attaining 3,000 meters (9,843 ft) from a standing start in 34.52 seconds and 25,000 meters (82,021 ft) from a standing start in 227.6 seconds.

That is pretty remarkable considering the highest I ever reached was 45,000 ft. It was not a very good high altitude a/c in the configuration we flew it.

My brother and I would build all the models of the various spacecraft and rockets. I still remember all of the family, friends and neighbors gathered around the TV watching the various ticker tape parades that were held in New York to welcome home the returning astronauts. The Moms would make food and it was a national event that played out in living rooms coast to coast. Literally, millions would show up waving little American flags and cheering. Military bands would play and units from all the Armed Forces would march and the astronauts were given awards and medals. Everyone loved and respected them. It was awe inspiring and breathtaking to think of these men traveling so far. They were true American pioneers and heroes.

One of my first TV memories, was watching Neil Armstrong walking on the moon. And my uncle, running three red lights, in order to get home so we could watch the Apollo 11 splashdown.

Back