Cape Air?

DE727UPS

I found out they have a part time PIC program where you can work as little as 6 days a month. Sent in a resume but after reading some stuff on APC, not sure it would be a great fit. If I could do BIL in the summer and the Caribbean in the winter, and only work six days a month, that would be a pretty sweet deal, but I have a feeling it might not work out that way. Not likely a junior newb is going to get what they want. Anyone on here that works there? Sounds like they have limited training capacity so I doubt they would want to hire part time guys.

Part time is on an as needed basis. The Caribbean in the winter will be easy. Even new hires can get that, although you may be based out on one of the islands.

BIL in the summer is a little harder, but when I was there (granted, 8 years ago), Montana was junior most of the year also.

The flying is fun, if you enjoy talking with passengers.

Regularly talked with those guys when id be up in BIL, generally good bunch; but it is hard flying especially montana winters. Plus all the additional tasks. Then again, its all secondhand so ymmv

Thanks for the comments. I understand BIL is the only base where they pay for your layover hotel. I thought the Caribbean base was SJU but maybe you have to pay for your own place in an outer island.

As to why? Seems like I still have some commercial flying left in me. In a way, I miss it.... I did the air attack stuff last summer and it was pretty cool. Would be nice to be able to jumpseat again (CASS). If I could get back in to the biz on my terms (working like one week a month) then it might be fun. I hate golf and not into cars or boats, so no options there. I just bought a plane so hoping to use it for some instructing this summer and see how that goes. Just putting out the feelers for something to keep me flying a bit. Probably never gonna happen...

I had a period during my regional days where I was longing to work for CapeAir. Was burned out from being junior after XJT had furloughed/downgraded….The EWR slog too, sitting around every trip at some outstation, waiting for your EDCT in 2 hours only to get flying, holding still etc… gets old trip after trip……And then I saw the Cape air guys while turning on ACK…looked awesome. Pull in, hop out, they board you up and Off they went. Looked great.

You might try BellAir in North Carolina if you are serious, I have a contact if you want it.

I’m not sure it is still something that they will do, but about 6 months ago they called me for a Phenom 300 position - I am typed and current. Their normal schedule is 8/6 but they offered a 1/2 schedule as I’m trying to retire. The 1/2 schedule is 8/20 and the pay was tolerable for it, but it wasn’t for me personally because I, done 135. Been there, done that,tired of it and am in a position to not have to do it again.

Home based, fly to the airplane day 1, fly home day 8.

Just a thought.

Brad

Thanks for the comments. I understand BIL is the only base where they pay for your layover hotel. I thought the Caribbean base was SJU but maybe you have to pay for your own place in an outer island.

As to why? Seems like I still have some commercial flying left in me. In a way, I miss it.... I did the air attack stuff last summer and it was pretty cool. Would be nice to be able to jumpseat again (CASS). If I could get back in to the biz on my terms (working like one week a month) then it might be fun. I hate golf and not into cars or boats, so no options there. I just bought a plane so hoping to use it for some instructing this summer and see how that goes. Just putting out the feelers for something to keep me flying a bit. Probably never gonna happen...
When I was there, there were some pilots based in the hub, but most of us were outstation based. They only paid for your accommodations if you were TDY to somewhere not in your base. But again, that was about 8 years ago.

I really enjoyed my time at Cape Air from 2011-2012. Nothing bad to say about the operation. I no longer have any connections there other than being in a Cape Air Alumni Facebook group where everyone else has equally fond memories it seems.

Another option you might check into is a charter operation out of SoCal, at Burbank I think, that was offering commutable schedules to fly Excels ten days/month I believe. They wanted either a single ten day stretch or two five day chunks. I can't remember the name of the operator, but I saw the job listing about six months ago and they were clearly targeting retirees.

And of course you might have already done this, but you could also find local pilot Facebook groups and/or hit up every FBO within a couple hour's drive from your home and sell yourself as a contract/mentor pilot. There are a lot of one man flight departments who need a pool of pilots to sit right seat in their jet or fly their light twin when they need a day off.

I've flown with a couple guys who were from there at some point. Seemed to have enjoyed it. I imagine you are well overqualified (if there is such a thing in aviation) but in this day and age, who knows......if they need part timers, they might not care if you decide it sucks and leave. A few of my old navy friends and I are trying to start a turboprop float plane Air Force down in S FL/islands. One of us is in asset management for a big firm in BOS and recently graduated from HBS. The rest of us are degenerates, and aside from me and our finance guy, all work for purple. There is really no reason for all of this, other than we all loved raging around in T-34s and know that the turboprop is the means to a clear mind and a happy life. Maybe we can fit you in? :)

Last edited:

I recently had a jumpseater about to retire who said he was gonna go to Skywest. Made it sound like there were part time schedules available for their 135 operation. Dunno if its true but might be worth looking into

I found out they have a part time PIC program where you can work as little as 6 days a month. Sent in a resume but after reading some stuff on APC, not sure it would be a great fit. If I could do BIL in the summer and the Caribbean in the winter, and only work six days a month, that would be a pretty sweet deal, but I have a feeling it might not work out that way. Not likely a junior newb is going to get what they want. Anyone on here that works there? Sounds like they have limited training capacity so I doubt they would want to hire part time guys.
I was thinking along the same lines. Just wondering how hard it would be to revert.

Training program... LOL.

Somehow, I truly doubt you'd have a problem with a P2012 or CE402. Then again, after about 5 minutes of jet flying, all that pesky twin engine piston stuff does get a bit lost in the mist. Don't know... do the 402s still rock steam? That, too, would be a whole new re-learning curve.

Last edited:
Training program... LOL.

Somehow, I truly doubt you'd have a problem with a P2012 or CE402. Then again, after about 5 minutes of jet flying, all that pesky twin engine piston stuff does get a bit lost in the mist. Don't know... do the 402s still rock steam? That, too, would be a whole new re-learning curve.
Abstract nonsense with a pinch of condescension. It'll probably sell.

I'll think more likely, we will follow the tech startup model, and just get a bunch of investors to pay for it while we don't actually fly passengers and just rage around.
Clean shorts and polos, a very clean Caravan on floats with Jimmy Buffet playing as you fly the prospective investors to a hidden island hole where the fish always bite. I'm not sure if you've read any of Buffets books but lots of others have and they've tried exactly what you're trying to do and failed. Honestly I'd be willing to take a chance, but I don't want to sign the front of the check, I'd prefer to just put my back into something and hope it works out.

Clean shorts and polos, a very clean Caravan on floats with Jimmy Buffet playing as you fly the prospective investors to a hidden island hole where the fish always bite. I'm not sure if you've read any of Buffets books but lots of others have and they've tried exactly what you're trying to do and failed. Honestly I'd be willing to take a chance, but I don't want to sign the front of the check, I'd prefer to just put my back into something and hope it works out.

Mainly we just need to figure out a way for someone to pay for us to fly a bunch of turboprops around to go on island hopping trips. The tricky part is making it legal and a legitimate business. I'm guessing most of the really bad operations start off with this type of idea :)

Back