Can't Renew Flight Instructor Certificate! FSDO Shutdown

CFII89

HELP!!!!

I completed a FIRC and need to hand in my paperwork before the end of the month, but the FSDO is closed because our politicians can't get their heads out of their butts, I can't renew it!

One of my local examiners said to get in touch with a DPE who is a Flight Instructor Renewal Examiner (FIRE) but there are none in my area (MA) apparently..

He also suggested just taking an other checkride... PSH! who in their right mind would chose to take another CFI checkride..

I don't know what to do...

Any Suggestions!?

I had this issue back in April way before any shutdown. The SAT FSDO was booked up solid the entire month during my renewal. I was being proactive and trying to schedule it in March. I ended up having to use American Flyers online/digital renewal. I can't remember exactly how much it cost but it was my only option.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm in the same position myself. I'm pretty confident the FSDO will be open in a couple of weeks. I might get on the American Flyers renewal anyway.

HELP!!!!

I completed a FIRC and need to hand in my paperwork before the end of the month, but the FSDO is closed because our politicians can't get their heads out of their butts, I can't renew it!

One of my local examiners said to get in touch with a DPE who is a Flight Instructor Renewal Examiner (FIRE) but there are none in my area (MA) apparently..

He also suggested just taking an other checkride... PSH! who in their right mind would chose to take another CFI checkride..

Any Suggestions!?

An FIE (Flight Instructor Examiner) has the same authority as an FIRE. So, look for those in your area. Then, if you have a neighboring district that is reasonably close, you can see if they have a FIE or FIRE that you can reach.

Here is the web site to search for DPEs: The trick to using that page is where it says "Search for designee by". Pull down FAA Office and select location instead of office. Then you don't have to try to break the code of which FSDOs are where.

http://av-info.faa.gov/designeesearch.asp

As someone mentioned earlier, the school that issued the graduation certificate may be authorized to do the renewal too.

I'd like to think that everything will be up an running again before the end of the month, but who knows.

If the worst happens and you somehow expire, don't panic. It's really quite easy to reinstate your certificate. Far less painful than the initial issuance.

If the worst happens and you somehow expire, don't panic. It's really quite easy to reinstate your certificate. Far less painful than the initial issuance.

I always thought that a reinstatement required taking another practical test with an examiner. Did something change making it easier?

I always thought that a reinstatement required taking another practical test with an examiner. Did something change making it easier?

You're correct, it does. However, there are two things that make it less onerous than originally obtaining the CFI:

(1) There is an "Additional Ratings Task Table" in every PTS. For the CFI, there is a column for Renewal or Reinstatement of a CFI. It lists the tasks the examiner is required to test. Area of Operation A, which is Fundamentals of Instructing is not a required item for any CFI PTS. That eliminates the bulk of a CFI oral. Then there is also a reduction in the required tasks beyond that. For example only two takeoffs and landings are required.

(2) Renewal or Reinstatement of any rating held on a flight instructor certificate satisfies all CFI ratings. So, if you hold airplane single and mult-engine, helicopter, glider, along with instrument airplane and helicopter, regardless of which PTS you choose to use, all of the other ratings will be good again. The same thing applies if a person adds a new rating to their CFI.

My personally observed experiences have always been that the test takes on more the flavor of two old friends having a chat and then going for a flight. The mood seems to be more one of "checking" rather than "testing".

I actually did the American Flyer FIRC, but I opted to to do my own paperwork (t save money) I don't think it matters at this point with having them do it for you because the FSDO issues the temp certificate not American Flyers..

Also, the examiner I talked to is a FIE, but not an FIRE... He said he is only able to do a reinstatement/renewal checkrides... he cannot accept a FIRC and put it through to renew my certificate.He said worst case would be to do a ride with him to renew...

I just want to get it done and not worry

Also, the examiner I talked to is a FIE, but not an FIRE... He said he is only able to do a reinstatement/renewal checkrides... he cannot accept a FIRC and put it through to renew my certificate.He said worst case would be to do a ride with him to renew...

He's right. I was incorrect when I said the FIE's have the same authority as the FIRE's.

The sad part of this is that if people had seen this problem coming the POI's would have given FIRE authority to the FIE's. It might be possible to contact the one person who is supposed to be on duty in each FSDO (typically the office manager) and ask that person to grant FIRE authority to the FIE. It also might be possible that the DPE / FIE has a good relationship with the POI and could call the POI at home and get a verbal okay from the POI to do it. The POI isn't supposed to be doing anything right now, even as a volunteer, but I'm sure there are a lot of POIs who would push the edge of the rules in order to help an airman.

HELP!!!!

Any Suggestions!?
I had a guy retake his Cfi. He said it was the easiest checkride he's ever taken. Think about it. It's like having to go back and take your private again. :). As long as you've been teaching, you shouldn't have an issue. Or just renew through a big company and put this situation in their hands. Good luck

Back