Cancelling a Ride

stultus

First, I'd like to thank Doug for putting this site together! It's a really great service you're doing for us.

So now to the question... About a month ago I scheduled my Private check ride for this Friday, only problem is that I'm .7 short on solo cross country time right now. It was a stupid planning error--after I planned my 2nd solo XC my instructor suggested I switch one of the airports, shortening my trip by about 50 miles. I agreed to the change and didn't even think about not meeting the solo XC time requirements in 61.109. I've been trying to get in a quick flight for over a week now--doing everything I could to go--checking the WX online like every hour and calling FSS a couple of times a day, but the weather just hasn't been very cooperative and it doesn't look like it'll improve before Friday.

I called the examiner today and left a message and was going to go over my options but couldn't get a hold of him. How big of a screw up is he going to think I am? I’m willing to take any blame for being at this point and not being completely ready, but I’ve tried my hardest. Is there any way to mitigate the situation?

No; you are doing the right thing.

If anything it will reflect poorly on your instructor and have no adverse affect on you.

At least you'll have a story!

I had to retake the private because I was short 0.6hrs of sim time, and the examiner wouldn't count the 1.1 I had in a ground trainer.
crazy.gif

Didn't pink it (it had never even started); but I was bummed!

^^ Yeah I was too!! I had just got back to England and I got up at 4:30 in the morning to have a look to see how Ed had done. When I heard the story I went right back to bed and back to sleep!

Man Iain, I wouldn't get up at 4:30 for anything, except for getting my PPL or other ratings. But just to see how he did, your crazy! But maybe things are different out in England.

Thanks for the reply SkyGuyEd. I did get a hold of the DPE today and he was totally understanding and couldn't have been nicer about things--he actually sounded kinda happy about the cancellation because he was able to schedule some acro time with one of the instructors at my FBO--but with the way the weather has been this week, and my guess on the way it'll continue, there's no way he'll get to go--the ceilings are around 1000 AGL out here. Anyway, the DPE seems like a really good guy and I'm looking forward to flying with him...just wish I didn't have to wait until June 6...

June 6 huh... all the more time to study!
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Man Iain, I wouldn't get up at 4:30 for anything, except for getting my PPL or other ratings. But just to see how he did, your crazy! But maybe things are different out in England.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah seriously dude... it's great to have fans and all.... but 4:30 IN THE MORNING!!?!!??

Back