Cancelled Upgrade Class

greaper007

Well, I made it all the way to the classroom in Manassas this morning for upgrade when the C.P. pulled up. Apparently, we don't have enough F.O's for this month so our upgrade class is canceled. Luckily I bid a line, a couple of guys didn't so they're going to get screwed.....

What the? They couldn't have figured this out 15 hours earlier and spared you a trip down to the strip mall office of theirs? I seriously don't know how you deal with "doin the Colgan." It sounds more like Colgan does you guys.....

Well, I made it all the way to the classroom in Manassas this morning for upgrade when the C.P. pulled up. Apparently, we don't have enough F.O's for this month so our upgrade class is canceled. Luckily I bid a line, a couple of guys didn't so they're going to get screwed.....

Ahhhhhhh, doin' da Colgan.

So you where one of the 4 this morning...

I was in the new hire class. They also canceled a beech class and a Q class scheduled for this saturday.

-Rob

It sucks but at the same time it's sort of humorous. I can just imagine telling my children, "Did I ever tell you about the time that I almost upgraded...."

B.H. told us that they were all ready to go with us but D.C. panicked on Wed night about not having enough FO's. Personally, I don't know why they don't utilize the crews they already have a little better. We have three FO's in HPN without lines that end up doing TDY with 50 hour blocks with stand-up overnights.

Screw 'em. Next time, just roll up without a captain. You can take left, I'll take right. Most days, I'm ready to get out of IAD anyway.

I imagine the story more as a grandpa thing. You know, the vaguely bitter, random story that somehow missed the Alzheimers delete key?

In any case, it sucks that they aren't utilizing their resources well and you got stuck. I know of another airline that works somewhat closely with yours that has a similar problem.

EDIT:
Colgan Air is currently hiring direct entry captains.
http://www.colganair.com//firstofficers.html

Certainly an interesting part of the story, isn't it? I know websites aren't updated all the time, especially for smaller airlines, but it's still odd in light of this post.

Screw 'em. Next time, just roll up without a captain. You can take left, I'll take right. Most days, I'm ready to get out of IAD anyway.

I imagine the story more as a grandpa thing. You know, the vaguely bitter, random story that somehow missed the Alzheimers delete key?

In any case, it sucks that they aren't utilizing their resources well and you got stuck. I know of another airline that works somewhat closely with yours that has a similar problem.

EDIT:

http://www.colganair.com//firstofficers.html

Certainly an interesting part of the story, isn't it? I know websites aren't updated all the time, especially for smaller airlines, but it's still odd in light of this post.

They are not hiring direct entry captains. The website needs to be updated.

-Rob

Yeah, I figured as much, which is why I added in the "I know websites aren't updated all the time," but it still gives the wrong impression.

Back