Canceling IFR at FL630

mshunter

After reading an associated thread about an SR-71, got me to thinking. Would you cancel up there if you could actually get there?

You'd probably want to be talking to someone incase you broke up and were incinerated on the way down. That way your wife could narrow your remains to a two or three state area. :p

I have a feeling that if you are that high up, you are flying something that is owned by a government agency. In that case they will have their ops specs which will dictate what you would do throughout the entire envelope of flight. My guess is that once you are up there and depending on where you are off to you may not even have any flight plan on file and if something does happen no one will be the wiser. In the news they will just talk about a VLJ that went down or something. :)

Don't forget...once you cancel your IFR clearance to pick up that VFR cruising altitude! ;)

360-179 = FL630.5
180-359 = FL640.5

And don't forget, see and avoid. Keep your head on a swivel for the VFR traffic up there!

Don't forget...once you cancel your IFR clearance to pick up that VFR cruising altitude! ;)

360-179 = FL635
180-359 = FL645

And don't forget, see and avoid. Keep your head on a swivel for the VFR traffic up there!

fixed it, does look funny.

I have a feeling that if you are that high up, you are flying something that is owned by a government agency. In that case they will have their ops specs which will dictate what you would do throughout the entire envelope of flight. My guess is that once you are up there and depending on where you are off to you may not even have any flight plan on file and if something does happen no one will be the wiser. In the news they will just talk about a VLJ that went down or something. :)

I heard a F18 wanting do descend back into class A before, that was pretty cool.

Wouldn't wanna fall from that height.

The AF pilot, Joe Kittinger...didn't he test high altitude freefall from a balloon at something like 102,000 feet?

Those altitudes would make descent planning for a STAR fun...

Back