Canadian carriers cram to obey obesity ruling

wheelsup

I wonder if/when this will come to the USA

High court forces airlines' hands; experts have varying ideas for compliance

“You’ve dawdled this whole year. Now stop all that bellyaching and get on with it.”

That, in essence, is the message Canada’s Supreme Court gave the country’s major airlines late last month. Now, after spending a year trying to weasel out of it with repeated court appeals, Canadian airlines are scrambling to figure out how to meet the January 10th deadline for complying with “one-person, one-fare” policy mandated by the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA). It is groundbreaking legislation some hope — and others fear — may spread to the United States and beyond.

So pay attention.

[...source...]
Thoughts? Fair or not?

Uh. . .

Fair.

So long as they just simply raise the fare for EVERYONE to the lowest fare that they would have otherwise charged to a person who needed to utilize two seats.

Profits! :sarcasm:

I don't necessarily think it's unfair for a company to charge a passenger more if they need to utilize two seats. I mean, they would have been charging two people otherwise.

I particularly liked the suggestion at the end of the article stating something to the effect that airlines should just increase seat size for everyone! Are people really that simple minded...do they not realize what that will do to fares across the board?

I'm no fan of the current way we're crammed in like cattle. However, I've noticed that it's usually legroom thats an issue for most people. Seat width is rarely an issue, even with our, ahem, "larger" people in general here in the U.S.

I'm no fan of the current way we're crammed in like cattle. However, I've noticed that it's usually legroom thats an issue for most people. Seat width is rarely an issue, even with our, ahem, "larger" people in general here in the U.S.

Eh, I had the "pleasure" of flying with a guy half on my arm for 1:55 today in the back of an RJ.

I actually like SWA's policy. If they need two seats, they charge them a child fare for the extra seat. If the flight isn't full....they don't get charged.

Probably no fan of having to pay more either, right???

Back