Canada Adopts Multi-Crew Pilot License

CRJDriver

Canada Adopts Multi-Crew Pilot License

Canada is joining European and Asian countries in adopting the multi-crew pilot's license as a means of keeping the right seats of its airliners populated. In contrast to the U.S., where Congress has decided how many hours a pilot must have before clipping on the tie and three stripes, Canada and the other countries are adopting an International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)-designed program that takes ab initio students through at least 250 hours of airline-oriented flight training and 750 hours of ground school and makes them FOs on airliners in 12 to 18 months. Canada's Ministry of Transport announced last week that the license will be added to Transport Canada's list of approved pilot certification standards and the next step is to start certifying aviation training organizations to teach the courses. That news comes as a war of words develops between airline executives and pilot unions about the cause and effect of new 1,500-hour experience minimum for copilots (1,000 hours if they attend a university course).

As we reported last week, the Air Line Pilots Association claims there is no shortage of pilots. President Lee Moak said there are plenty of experienced American pilots flying overseas who would return to the U.S. if they could make as much money as they do at foreign carriers. While that may be true, in the reality that has evolved into the airline training model in the U.S., regional airlines are curtailing their operations because they don't have enough pilots. Republic Airways mothballed 27 of its 243 aircraft last week for that reason and CEO Bryan Bedford said it will get worse before it gets better. "The short-term answer is the aviation industry is just going to get smaller," he told The Wall Street Journal (subscription required). He said the problem is double-pronged. New pilots must spend much longer gaining the experience necessary to get an airline job at the same time the major carriers are hiring experienced regional pilots faster than the regionals can replace them. Bedford said that means that some marginal regional airline destinations will lose service and fares will go up as airlines increase the pay of pilots to help attract more. Bedford appeared to allude to the multi-crew pilot license when he told the WSJ that other countries have "had to reformulate the whole vocation of the pilot" and that discussion needs to be held in the U.S. "We should have that conversation today and get ahead of it, before the problem that seems difficult today gets a heck of a lot worse," he said.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Canada-Adopts-Multi-Crew-Pilot-License221449-1.html

spectacular.

This job, and the tool bags running airlines, is going to lose a lot of us if they keep finding ways to devalue our professional worth.

If you kids don't have additional skills - you might want to consider taking a hard look at what you want your career to really look like. And then, prepare for something else.

Can a MCPL be used for corporate or flying? The reason I ask is I'm hoping when the US does this, all of us who paid for our licenses (like suckers) will have some job opportunities open to us the MCPL's won't.

So how would this work since we have the 1500 hour rule in place? Do those countries that have implemented the MCPL have something similar to the 1500 hr that we have here?

Can a MCPL be used for corporate or flying? The reason I ask is I'm hoping when the US does this, all of us who paid for our licenses (like suckers) will have some job opportunities open to us the MCPL's won't.

You know, this is a REALLY good question. On the one hand, I don't see why it'd be any different, as they're all transport class aircraft, but, given that the lobbying effort is by and for the airlines, who knows how the actual legislation would turn out.

If this actually does happen in the US, it wouldn't bother me if those of us "suckers" can keep flying our Lears and Falcons and what not, while all the new "non-suckers" can only fly airliners.

So how would this work since we have the 1500 hour rule in place? Do those countries that have implemented the MCPL have something similar to the 1500 hr that we have here?
From my understanding no.
Again, as I understand it, no. I'm quite happy to have a few thousand hours in 135 t-props, hopefully it's some job security. I am not a one trick pony.

How do individuals go about paying for this, do you take out loans? Are you simply accepted and payments delayed until graduation when they start taking monies out of your paycheck, like over in Europe?

How do individuals go about paying for this, do you take out loans? Are you simply accepted and payments delayed until graduation when they start taking monies out of your paycheck, like over in Europe?

I read this and still am not sure I understand it. Training bond perhaps ? Maybe it'll vary with the individual carrier ?:

"Going through an MPL training program that may extend over a 15-month period must be extremely expensive. Who’s going to be paying for this?

• MPL training is indeed an expensive proposition. ATOs offering MPL training are probably dependent upon acquiring client air carriers who enter into a pilot provisioning contract with the training provider. As such, it is anticipated that the client operator will then enter into some form of an employment agreement with the trainee to ensure the operator receives full value from their investment."

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/general-mpl-faq-473.htm

It literally would take an act of congress.....

My understanding is that the MCPL is only valid when flying right seat for the Asian/European equivalent of a 121 carrier. I think it may also be restricted to the company that ran/sponsored the training program as well, but I'm not sure on that.

At least in China, the airlines generally pay for the training to get the MCPL, but the students have to sign lengthy (20+ year) contracts with the airline before starting, so they're basically indentured servants unless they can cough up the $150,000 to pay the contract off.

I wonder if it'd be like the R-ATPL, not valid for Flag ops. So basically you could do domestic regional ops in Canada, but can't do any of the international flights without actually learning to fly.

Some states have found training contracts unenforceable. The attorneys will have a field day.

Even the ones where short term (1-2 years) training contracts are enforceable, I don't see 20 year contracts getting past the courts.

I can only speak about something I know about and that's the European (EASA) certificates. Students usually take the written exams for ATP then do their flight training, getting a commercial instrument rating (CPL IR), also called a Frozen ATPL. There is this other course they then take called an MCC (Multi Crew Communication). Basically like one of those CRM/jet transition courses like ATP flight school offers. So they dont have some sub par inferior multi crew credit license thing. It's just that many get picked up at an airline with a minimum amount of flight time.

I can only speak about something I know about and that's the European (EASA) certificates. Students usually take the written exams for ATP then do their flight training, getting a commercial instrument rating (CPL IR), also called a Frozen ATPL. There is this other course they then take called an MCC (Multi Crew Communication). Basically like one of those CRM/jet transition courses like ATP flight school offers. So they dont have some sub par inferior multi crew credit license thing. It's just that many get picked up at an airline with a minimum amount of flight time.

^^^^ They get the frozen ATPL and use it in the right seat till they meet ATP mins. The students I work with go from zero to commercial multi license. They don't get the PPL. Progress tests are done till they get to the CPL. Most of the training is done in the single engine to build the experience required. A lot of the IR work is also done in the single engine. Then they transition to the multi for the CPL and the IR add on after that. The MCC is also added to it at the end. But this is completely different from the multi crew license (MPL) which is specific to the airline you get it for. You cannot take the MPL from one airline to another because the course is designed and approved for the specific airline. It involves more sim work just after solo and less flight in the airplane to build experience. Most prefer the frozen ATPL just in case things don't work out as planned and they still have a license to look for a job somewhere else. But some still get the MPL with a promise of a job. All of the European airlines I can think of do not sponsor the training. Some Asian and middle eastern airlines do but with the MPL you are a cruise pilot on long flights and never get to take off or land for years till you make it to 1st or 2nd officer. The job is guaranteed upon successful completion of the training and if you don't do well during the process, they will drop you. The airlines do their own screening of candidates and send them to the school for either the frozen ATPL or MPL. Most students are self sponsored with bank loans, savings or mommy and daddy paying for it. After spending $150k on this, they still have to pay for the type rating when they get hired. Apparently in Europe the starting pay is still good enough for them to quickly pay off the loans. But it's not easy to find a job.

Oh man if it's airline specific LOOOOOOOL. The only thing left is to pay you in company credits.

Any idea what the push was behind this? I'd imagine there's more than enough air taxi guys out in western canada looking for cushy jet jobs that it's not like the airlines would be starving for applicants.

Back