Can you explain this to me?

TrinidadGT20

Vice President of Awesome
This past summer I was onboard a 737-500 in CLT. It was raining and there were t-storms in the area. Just moments after take off (approx 200 or 300' off the ground) the plane tiled swiftly and sharply on it's longitudinal axis (i.e. the right wing dropped and the left wing lifted but we were still going straight--not turning). The tilt felt like a 45-degree drop and it scared the hell out of me and just about everyone else on the plane. The pilots quickly recovered and we continued to climb with only the usual bumps you experience in weather like that.

My question is what could have caused the plane's right wing to suddenly drop 45 degrees (and obviously the left wing to raise 45 degrees) while the plane was still flying straight ahead? Have any of you ever experienced this? I certainly hope it's not common.

Sudden wing drops are not at all uncommon in turbulent air, though one that close to the ground and that severe would certainly get my attention. If the airplane is banked, it is turning ... however, the crew likely recovered quickly enough that there was little or no heading change.

FL270

Afterwards, the thought that really scared me is what would have happened if I was in an Airbus. I know that the Scarebus's don't allow a plane to bank beyond preset parameters. Thoughts?

[ QUOTE ]
Afterwards, the thought that really scared me is what would have happened if I was in an Airbus. I know that the Scarebus's don't allow a plane to bank beyond preset parameters. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

How come everyone knocks on Airbus? IMO, they make fine aircraft.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye matey, here there be dragons and ye begin to dabble in the black arts, says I...

Nah, the plane should get itself back to 33 degrees and leave it to the meatbags up front to take it from there. If the airplane gets into an unusual attitude, roll control reverts to Direct law and said meatbags have direct, unfiltered control of roll surfaces except for load limits and yaw damping.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn good aircraft...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn good aircraft...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll expand by saying that the one America West A320 I rode on a number of years back was a pleasant ride; overall more comfortable and quieter than the numerous 737s I've ridden.

No problem from this person on Airbus's.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn good aircraft...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll expand by saying that the one America West A320 I rode on a number of years back was a pleasant ride; overall more comfortable and quieter than the numerous 737s I've ridden.

No problem from this person on Airbus's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too...

I think Airbus' (sp?) are great. They are very quiet and have tons of cabin room.

The fly-by-wire thing doesn't scare me at all.

Try doing a roll in a 777 and see what happens. The computers are doing all the work in modern boeings also.

As a pilot I think I'd rather fly the B737 family than the A320 family, but I've got to say that, as a passenger, I'd much rather fly on the Airbus. They are extremely comfortable to ride around in, much more so than the B737s.

FL270

Back