Can student pilots fly in some class B airports?

CK

I was talking to a friend who is leaning to fly at GSO, in a couple years it'll be a Class B (I forget the reason, must have somthing to do with FedEx's expansion of the airport) and he said that he'd still be able to learn to fly there (even though he'll have his PPL by then) with an endorsment. Is that true? Can student pilots learn to fly at some Class B airports? I know you can't do it at the big ones like JFK, LGA, ect.

I don't see why you couldn't. To solo in Class B, you'll need an endorsment from you instructor saying that you've had in-flight and ground experience at that airport and it's airspace. But your right, the biggies, (like Andrews AFB, EWR, JFK, LGA, DCA, etc,) you can't fly there solo as a student.

Student pilots CAN fly into Class B airspace solo with the proper endorsement. I have no idea why you'd want to train in that airspace though.
tongue.gif

I did. It's actually pretty fun. You get to talk to the guys at the Potomac Tracon just like the big boys do. Of course, they're thinking, get that stupid bug smasher off my frequency.

If he's gonna have his PPL then it won't be an issue. Student pilots are allowed to fly in class B with the proper endorsements. I'm assuming he'll be working on his instrument after that and the majority of the IR training is done as dual anyway. I think the decission to not allow training at the larger Class B airports is done on a case to case basis.

[ QUOTE ]
I did. It's actually pretty fun. You get to talk to the guys at the Potomac Tracon just like the big boys do. Of course, they're thinking, get that stupid bug smasher off my frequency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where'd you fly out of? I've done a hop or two around JYO (Leesburg, VA) in a lil ol' TB9 with a friend of mine, and Dulles Approach (as it was called then) seemed very nice and helpful.
smile.gif

I had an Orlando Class B endorsement when I was at Riddle for XCs toward my PPL. I didn't land at MCO but did transit their airspace. There are some Class B airports (HOU comes to mind) that have active flight training operations. There is nothing wrong at all with training in that environment.

When I was instructing full-time I wouldn't sign off my PPL students for a checkride until they had visited a Class B and a grass strip. (We did both dual, not solo.) I thought it was good experience to have on both ends, so my students always saw CLT and a local 2000' grass airpark.

FL270

I used to fly out of VKX, and I had to be talking to the folks at the Tracon because as soon as I took off, I needed to get in touch with them otherwise they'd scramble the F-16s. A lot of times, they'd just clear me into the Class B because the floor of that was 1500 feet.

Are you asking a regulation question, "Can a student pilot fly into a Class B airport?" or "Is a flight school allowed to be located at a Class B airport?"

Or is it a practical question, "Are there any flight schools located at Class B airports?"

As a number of folks said, the answer to the former is "yes" with the proper training and endorsement and so long as the Class B is not one of those that prohibits student pilot operations.

As for the latter, that's a very interesting question. I know that there are no flight schools located at DEN.

I used to fly with a guy that did all of his ratings at PHX. He was nervous about flying outside of radar contact as all of his solo cross country flights were completed on radar vectors.

You need two endorsements for solo training at an airport in class B airspace....

One endorsement states that a CFI has given (personally) the student training and determined they are proficient to make solo flights in that specfic Class B airspace (no landings, just flying through it). The student needs a seperate endorsement for each particular class B airspace area they plan to fly in (eg one for Houston Class B, a whole other endorsement for Dallas Class B, etc).

The other endorsment is for the particular airport in class B airspace where the student intends to takeoff and land. Again, you need a seperate endorsement for each airport and the training at this airport must be given personally by the CFI writing the endorsement.

In summary, you need one endorsement to fly in the airspace, and one endorsement for every airport you're gonna takeoff and land at.

I forget is BWI on the list where students arn't allowed? Say mom wanted me to fly over to pick her up off an airline flight when I'm 16, could I, or do I need a CFI to sign me off for every flight in to there?

[ QUOTE ]
Might want to wait until 17, unless you're gonna pick her up in a balloon
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why's that
confused.gif

CitationKid,
I live in Greensboro and I have heard nothing about Greensboro becomming Class B because of the FedEx hub. There was talk of Raliegh becomming Class B but with the decrease in traffic there I think it has been put on the back burner. Where did your friend here that information?

[ QUOTE ]
CitationKid,
I live in Greensboro and I have heard nothing about Greensboro becomming Class B because of the FedEx hub. There was talk of Raliegh becomming Class B but with the decrease in traffic there I think it has been put on the back burner. Where did your friend here that information?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he said he heard it from his instructor I'll ask him for you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Might want to wait until 17, unless you're gonna pick her up in a balloon
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why's that
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

At 16 you can not fly with passengers.

I flew into LAX when I was 16 with my parents - I had a flight instructor on board though.

Back