Can someone answer this??

darrenf

resident denizen
I am trying to book a flight to Ireland. Every online website I have hit so far, if I put my Departure Airport in as JFK or EWR, the cheapest flights all have a switch in PHL. If I put the departure in as PHL, they all have a change in EWR or JFK?!!! :banghead:

WTFO??

I am trying to book a flight to Ireland. Every online website I have hit so far, if I put my Departure Airport in as JFK or EWR, the cheapest flights all have a switch in PHL. If I put the departure in as PHL, they all have a change in EWR or JFK?!!! :banghead:

WTFO??

Now appearing under the big top......a clown act! :D

Fares are based on markets and availability. Looks like US Airways is competing with Continental so they drop prices for PAX out of Newark (for example - it's a little more complicated but I hope this helps).

WTFO??
We are getting screwed :sarcasm: ....yeah.

Ok, so now the question becomes, If I book the flight from EWR, can I just depart the second leg from PHL? PHL is much closer to me.

Ok, so now the question becomes, If I book the flight from EWR, can I just depart the second leg from PHL? PHL is much closer to me.

Nope, the second you are a "no-show" for any leg of a booked ticket the rest will be canceled.

I had the close to the same thing. I was trying to book a flight to St. Martin a while back. I looked at PHL and the cheapest flight was on Continental at 449 with a stop in EWR. The next flight is 579 also with a connection in EWR. However, if I drive to EWR I can get a flight on USAir, that connects through PHL, for 357.

Made no sense to me then either.

My plan was going to be train to EWR, carry on bags, on the way home have someone pick us up in PHL or drop off one of our cars before we go up to EWR.

I had the close to the same thing. I was trying to book a flight to St. Martin a while back. I looked at PHL and the cheapest flight was on Continental at 449 with a stop in EWR. The next flight is 579 also with a connection in EWR. However, if I drive to EWR I can get a flight on USAir, that connects through PHL, for 357.

Made no sense to me then either.

My plan was going to be train to EWR, carry on bags, on the way home have someone pick us up in PHL or drop off one of our cars before we go up to EWR.

In this case I would almost bet that US had the same fare but was sold out in that booking class. A flight does not have to be completely full to be sold out of a certain fare. In order for an airline to compete they have to offer the same fare.

Fares are not based on flights having connections etc. It's all based on city pairs and who else is offer what on a particular market.

Nope, the second you are a "no-show" for any leg of a booked ticket the rest will be canceled.

That's not always true. I had a flight that was supposed to go SJC-PHX-MCI on USAir one time. Long story short, I got trapped in Flagstaff, AZ and drove down to PHX to catch the second leg. I just called them before my original SJC flight took off and told them what I was going to do. At first, they tried to charge $150, but a few managers later, we got it all sorted out.

That's not always true. I had a flight that was supposed to go SJC-PHX-MCI on USAir one time. Long story short, I got trapped in Flagstaff, AZ and drove down to PHX to catch the second leg. I just called them before my original SJC flight took off and told them what I was going to do. At first, they tried to charge $150, but a few managers later, we got it all sorted out.

Well it is true.

Your situation is something completely different. You were "stuck" and it took a manger to waive the rules so that your flight would not be canceled nor pay the fee.

Seriously! All you cheap-o pilots researching and studying how to save $10, then always choosing the lowest bidder! ;)

I know there was plenty of :sarcasm: in there, but I think they are trying to get not only the cheapest, but the least amount of travel time (at least that's what I always look for... and least amount of time on one of those RJ's!).

I know there was plenty of :sarcasm: in there, but I think they are trying to get not only the cheapest, but the least amount of travel time (at least that's what I always look for... and least amount of time on one of those RJ's!).

I don't mind paying a bit more for a direct flight, as saving time would be the reason for me to only fly the second leg. But the trip booked direct on the same flight that would be the second leg is almost 80% more if I pay to NOT take the first leg. It just makes ZERO sense. :banghead:

Back