Can I carry on a tennis racket?

farwellbooth

It won't fit in my luggage. And the handle hangs out of my carry on bag. Does the TSA consider it a weapon of mass destruction?

[ QUOTE ]
Does the TSA consider it a weapon of mass destruction?

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on how good a tennis player you are.

probably not, if it doesn't have a "bag" of it's own... i did see a guy get on with a tennis racket before - but he also had a wilson backpack/bag which the racket fit into and zipped up...

do you have to take it? you could try it - since it's not on "the list" and see if they'll go for it - but if not, you'll lose it forever most likely!

Call your airline - I have broken luggage rules taking sports equipment and they were not really concerned (my polo bag is much larger then allowed but they OK'd it). As far as the TSA are concerned, who knows it changed person by person with that bunch!

It's really hit and miss. I carry-on my photography gear when I fly and either have trouble getting it all past security or it's a snap. My camera bag is bigger than most, but it is nonetheless exactly the maximum dimensions allowed by the most finicky airlines and about 4 pounds underweight. Unfortunately, I still get in arguements with screeners and airlines agents over whether I should be able to fly with it and carry it on or check it.

Security is a serious thing and I think threats should be addressed with appropriate actions. But it can be so frustrating!

[ QUOTE ]
It's really hit and miss. I carry-on my photography gear when I fly and either have trouble getting it all past security or it's a snap. My camera bag is bigger than most, but it is nonetheless exactly the maximum dimensions allowed by the most finicky airlines and about 4 pounds underweight. Unfortunately, I still get in arguements with screeners and airlines agents over whether I should be able to fly with it and carry it on or check it.

Security is a serious thing and I think threats should be addressed with appropriate actions. But it can be so frustrating!

[/ QUOTE ]

It peaves me sooooo baaaddd....when I carry something on and security tells me it is to big to be a carry-on. "I'm sorry, you work for what airline. Oh, TSA, and what type of aircraft do you operate. Oh, O.K. I see...No, I'm not being a smartass...." Why can't they figure out that they are supposed to figure out what is in the bag....not if it will fit into the overhead storage.
smirk.gif

Morons at work.

No kidding. I've had the pleasure of being told not to touch my photo lenses ("Oh no, WE'LL look at them. You stand over there.") only to watch a screener stick a finger in the back of a $6000 lens and poke around. My favorite was a guy who opened one of my film cameras and pushed on the ultra-fragile, titanium-foil shutter curtain, asking what was behind the "little door." I wanted to tell him that that "little door" was on a camera that cost more than my car and would be about a grand to fix if his finger went through it.

Then there are the gate agents who, despite the fact that I've met all of their requirements, try to make me check my camera gear. If it was just an everyday carry-on, that would be one thing, but we're talking about a major investment that's vital to my income. I used to check most of it, but now that baggage screeners cut locks and go through things quite routinely, I'm not going to risk having things broken, lost, or stolen.

My next commercial flight is in December. I'll just keep my fingers crossed . . .

My advice is to put it in an unmarked brown package and run towards the the security checpoint while yelling to get their attention. Once you have their attention, you can ask if it will be allowed.

btw - after your trip, come back and let us know what happened!! it'll be good for future reference!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite was a guy who opened one of my film cameras and pushed on the ultra-fragile, titanium-foil shutter curtain, asking what was behind the "little door." I wanted to tell him that that "little door" was on a camera that cost more than my car and would be about a grand to fix if his finger went through it.

[/ QUOTE ]Sounds like we're still getting Burger King rejects in these "oh so sensitive" of posts.

My old tennis bag let the handles hang out by design. Never had a problem.

Just bring them to KY and we'll play a match.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like we're still getting Burger King rejects in these "oh so sensitive" of posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aloft they strike me as more like ex-bouncers!

[ QUOTE ]
btw - after your trip, come back and let us know what happened!! it'll be good for future reference!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I carried it on with no problem. Went to Palm Springs and there were quite a few others with rackets in hand too.

Had my first trip in a CRJ 700. Pretty small inside and I'm not all that big but we hauled ass. And saw a 900 America West on the ground. Looks pretty sweet...

[ QUOTE ]
Had my first trip in a CRJ 700. Pretty small inside and not all that big but we hauled ass. And saw a 900 America West on the ground. Looks pretty sweet...

[/ QUOTE ]

I rode the CRJ-900 to DFW one day and it wasn't too bad, but when you're sitting there at the gate, the cabin angle is tremendously annoying. It feels like you're doing an emergency descent sitting right there at the gate!
smile.gif

Back