Calling all Beech 99 Freight Dawgs

tbmpilot

Aviation Resource Management, Inc. is seeking applicants for a King Air 90 Captain position in the NY Metro Area. Aircraft will be operated under both 91/135.

Minimum qualifications:
- 2000 TT
- 1000 ME
- 500 PIC
- FAA ATP or Commercial/Instrument
- 1st Class Medical
- No accidents or incidents within previous 5 years
- Applicant must live within 2 hrs of CDW (1 hour is preferred)
- King Air experience required (ProLine 21 experience preferred)
- Previous Part 135 experience required
- Previous aircraft management experience a plus

Please e-mail resume to jobs@armcharter.com or via fax to (201) 485-7879

Reactions: KLB
Wow. I would like to meet the POI who signed off on that. Completely ILLEGAL. What part of "transportation not local in nature" is not understood there?

Hmmm. I can't think of why it's illegal. Guy in back is on a deadhead guy up front is flying. As long as neither go past 8 hours of flying or 14 hours of duty all is good.

It's simple really. Pilot A is golden. When he finishes his flight duties and looks back 24 hours, he can find 10 hours of continuous rest. He can stay on duty for the rest of his life if he wants (135 does not restrict duty time). He just can't act as a 135 crew member again until he gets 10 hours of rest.

Pilot B is not on rest. He's performing duty for the certificate holder by virtue of being required to be there in order for this scheme to work. When he finishes his flight duty, he can't find 10 hours of continuous rest in the previous 24 hours.

It's simple really. Pilot A is golden. When he finishes his flight duties and looks back 24 hours, he can find 10 hours of continuous rest. He can stay on duty for the rest of his life if he wants (135 does not restrict duty time). He just can't act as a 135 crew member again until he gets 10 hours of rest.

Pilot B is not on rest. He's performing duty for the certificate holder by virtue of being required to be there in order for this scheme to work. When he finishes his flight duty, he can't find 10 hours of continuous rest in the previous 24 hours.
I'm aware but I'm quite sure they do it legally.
Pilot a and b come on duty at 0000. Pilot a flies 5 hours starting at 0200 and they lands at 0700. Pilot b then flies the 5 hours back starting at 0800 off at 1300. Both pilots only flew 5 hours not exceeding the 8 in 24 and still being able to show 10 in the last 24 for both having only 13 hours on duty.

I'm aware but I'm quite sure they do it legally.
Pilot a and b come on duty at 0000. Pilot a flies 5 hours starting at 0200 and they lands at 0700. Pilot b then flies the 5 hours back starting at 0800 off at 1300. Both pilots only flew 5 hours not exceeding the 8 in 24 and still being able to show 10 in the last 24 for both having only 13 hours on duty.

Your hypothetical is fine, which is not the "sales pitch" discussed in the blog. The scenario presented there is a possibility for A to come on duty and B enter the aircraft on a deadhead at 0000, A flying from 0000 to 0800 and B from 0800 to 1600. B is in violation as only having 8 hours of rest in the previous 24.

Your hypothetical is fine, which is not the "sales pitch" discussed in the blog. The scenario presented there is a possibility for A to come on duty and B enter the aircraft on a deadhead at 0000, A flying from 0000 to 0800 and B from 0800 to 1600. B is in violation as only having 8 hours of rest in the previous 24.

Exactly. You can operate a single pilot aircraft under 135 with two single pilot rated PICs, but you're still limited to the 14 hour duty day. Pilot B can be on the aircraft and not doing any flying duties, but he's still on duty, and he sure as hell isn't in rest during this time. If the two of you came on duty 30 min before a trip, and managed to make a 15 min quick turn in the middle, and then finish flying duties 30 min before going off duty, you could hypothetically fit 12:45 min of flight time into a 14 hour duty day, but there's no way to work around the 14 hour duty day without one of the pilots being in violation.

Exactly. You can operate a single pilot aircraft under 135 with two single pilot rated PICs, but you're still limited to the 14 hour duty day. Pilot B can be on the aircraft and not doing any flying duties, but he's still on duty, and he sure as hell isn't in rest during this time. If the two of you came on duty 30 min before a trip, and managed to make a 15 min quick turn in the middle, and then finish flying duties 30 min before going off duty, you could hypothetically fit 12:45 min of flight time into a 14 hour duty day, but there's no way to work around the 14 hour duty day without one of the pilots being in violation.

At first I thought this was right, but if they are both single pilot the 10hrs of rest does not apply. For part 135 single pilot scheduled service Normal rest would be 9 hours with reduced rest being 8 hours. So they can have a 16 hr duty day with both flying up to 8 hours of flight time. Now, whether or not I would be down to do this as a pilot is another story.

It's been about a year since I flew for amflight, but that's how I recall the regs being.

At first I thought this was right, but if they are both single pilot the 10hrs of rest does not apply. For part 135 single pilot scheduled service Normal rest would be 9 hours with reduced rest being 8 hours. So they can have a 16 hr duty day with both flying up to 8 hours of flight time. Now, whether or not I would be down to do this as a pilot is another story.

It's been about a year since I flew for amflight, but that's how I recall the regs being.

Those are the scheduled rest rules.

I think in the scenario discussed above is in scheduled rest rules.

That company that I just left operated under 135.265 even on their on demand side. Maybe you should have a clue what you're talking about before opening your mouth and you won't look like such an idiot next time. Just a thought @tbmpilot.

Itchy said:
135. 265 vs 135.267 IIRC. An operator can elect to go with either one.

An operator is SUPPOSED to only be allowed to elect 135.265 if the pilot flies the same schedule and is on duty at the same time each day "for long periods of time". This comes from an FAA interpretation (I'm not looking it up but its out there).

The real issue with 135 is the lack of enforcement by the FAA with their own rules. A company will hold your employment over your head to follow along with any rules they dream up and the FAA just looks the other direction for the most part.

Back