Calling all Aussies!

Capt. Spud

Hi folks,

I was wondering if any Australians/ New Zelanders could help me with some questions I have:

I know "Prospective Pilot" is from Aus and I would really appreciate some help with these questions if you find the time, but any Aussie/ New Zealander input would be fantastic.

What city did you grow up in? Where have you travelled in Australia/NZ and where did you like it the most?

Is it difficult to get into Australia/NZ as a South African passport holder? I know there are a lot of SAfricans down there, they say it's a lot like SA, only safer
grin.gif

Do they grant work permits easily? Do you have equivalents of Green Cards?

What is the lifestyle like there? I read that you (Prospective pilot) recently moved to the US, how do you compare the 2 countries so far?

Sorry about all the questions, it just looks like a great place to move to seeing as though I am not going to be able to stay in the US too much longer after graduation from college.

Thanks

Cheers

Craig

PS. Even though SA didn't win the Rugby World Cup, I sure as hell didn't think England was going to get it!!

What city did you grow up in?

Currently living in Melbourne

Where have you travelled in Australia/NZ and where did you like it the most?

Sydney and Brisbane, I like Melbourne.

Is it difficult to get into Australia/NZ as a South African passport holder?

No idea - I guess not that hard - just do not bring any items that could contain bugs!! Stevo will give you a ribbing if you do.

I know there are a lot of SAfricans down there, they say it's a lot like SA, only safer

You have roos in SA??
wink.gif

Do they grant work permits easily? Do you have equivalents of Green Cards?

I think it is quite tough - your best bet is to speak to a lawyer about it. They are tight about letting people into their country.

What is the lifestyle like there?
Laid back - very enthusaistic about sports. Generally v. nice people.

I read that you (Prospective pilot) recently moved to the US, how do you compare the 2 countries so far?

Umm, I recently moved to AU from the US (I am only down here for 6 months). To me they seem very similar, friendly people, just the beer flows better here, but the food portions are not as big.

Sorry about all the questions, it just looks like a great place to move to seeing as though I am not going to be able to stay in the US too much longer after graduation from college.

Get a girl pregnant, and her father will make her marry you! Very easy scheme!!!

PS. Even though SA didn't win the Rugby World Cup, I sure as hell didn't think England was going to get it!!

DUDE WE WERE THE FAVORITES!!!!!

I've traveled to Australia and New Zealand. Aussies and Kiwis are very nice people. Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne are the three largest cities in aussieland. The two countries are very very divided between their rugby teams
tongue.gif

Not too sure on immigration policies

G'day mate!!

More than happy to answer questions!

[ QUOTE ]
What city did you grow up in? Where have you travelled in Australia/NZ and where did you like it the most?

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in Sydney and resided there for 13 years before moving to San Fransico at the end of 2000. Reason I'm here is for the opportunity as there isn't very much in Australia! I'm here to make my millions then return back is Australia!
cool.gif
I've been to Brisbane (all of my relatives live up there), Canberra, and some of the small towns around Melbourne. Brisbane has beautiful weather all year round, and it's climate is more tropical than anything else - nice place to live... Canberra is one of my favourite places! I guess you could compare it to Washington D.C in some aspects. Prime Minister's mansion is located there. Parliment House is there, also.
laugh.gif
It's kept very clean and is absolutely stuning seeing it in the Autum time with all the trees and that!! I have not been to Melbourne city but I do have some cousins who live in a town about 3 hours away from there. The small towns are where all the weird people live!
grin.gif
They talk REAL Australian! But...I would have to say Sydney is my favorite city! It's basically the gateway to Australia.....

[ QUOTE ]
Is it difficult to get into Australia/NZ as a South African passport holder? I know there are a lot of SAfricans down there, they say it's a lot like SA, only safer

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'd have to go through a very similar process to what you had to go through to obtain the stuff you needed to come here! Just as hard to get into Australia as getting into the U.S, probably!

[ QUOTE ]
What is the lifestyle like there? I read that you (Prospective pilot) recently moved to the US, how do you compare the 2 countries so far?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to say Australia is pretty much the same as America in many ways, only everything there is on a much, much, much smaller scale. In some ways Australia is ahead of America while in others America is ahead of Australia. Great place to live!! As soon as I have completed my objectives over here maybe I can move back there!
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Australia is an excellent place to live, but the downside is the fact that there is very, very little opportunity there compared to the U.S. Just over the last few years prices have significantly gone up making it an expensive country to live in! Salaries aren't so great either... If money isn't important to you and not an issue, then of course there are no worries!
wink.gif

Hope that helps, my friend!!!!
wink.gif

I agree with what the others said. I'm on the 'other' side of Aus, Perth
laugh.gif
The better side IMO...

PM me if you ever have any Q's on living in the West.

I met a few people from Perth on my trip to Europe 4 years ago. Very nice people. Hope to get down there one day.

Fantastic info, thanks all!
grin.gif

Iain - roos means rose in Afrikaans. So, do I have a rose in SA? Unfortunately, no beautiful South African roos awaiting my return
frown.gif
, those are the best girls in the world though! I checked out your webpage too, nice pics of Aus, thanks. What exactly are you doing in Aus? Working vacation or just a holiday in southern summer weather?

Prospective Pilot - thanks for the info, very helpful. I hope you turn into the success you are hoping for in the "land of the free"! Sydney looks impressive.

Tim - Perth sounds cool. I have heard its warm and windy most of the year, perfect for my windsurfing addiction. Know anything about windsurfing by chance?

Have fun flying folks.

You guys were lucky the Springboks weren't in top form like in '95!!

[ QUOTE ]
Iain - roos means rose in Afrikaans. So, do I have a rose in SA? Unfortunately, no beautiful South African roos awaiting my return
frown.gif
, those are the best girls in the world though! I checked out your webpage too, nice pics of Aus, thanks. What exactly are you doing in Aus? Working vacation or just a holiday in southern summer weather?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah just doing some travelling while I am still young enough!

[ QUOTE ]
You guys were lucky the Springboks weren't in top form like in '95!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys did not even have a chance - and do you want me to bring up the video of the boot camp your guys went through - pretty embarrassing stuff IMHO!

hmmm, that was some pretty funny stuff with regard to the rugby training scandal. I laughed pretty hard about it!

But then again a lot of intimidation is used in very successful outfits (of anything: rugby, high school) back in SA, so I wasn't too shocked.

Iain please remember SA didn't play international sport for 30+ years and the first RWC we were allowed in, we won, just something to think about.

Anywho, I am not such a HUGE sports fan anyway, so it's all good.

England played well, so did the aussies and all blacks. I was convinved the All Blacks were going to pulverise everyone!

Have a good New Year's Eve everyone.

Cheers

Craig

Dude do not take it personally - just giving you a bit of a ribbing over the WC.

Just some other SA sport - haveyou been watching the test with the WI - you guys are certainly playing well there.

I have mad love to SA - I dad lived there for 7 years, and I have family there, as well as in Namibia, and Zimbabwe.

No worries Iain, nothing taken personally. I was just ribbing you too! I guess it is hard to judge tone on these message board things over the net...

Plus, have to be patriotic now that I am living in a far away country, you must understand that one.

Enjoy Aussie. And please keep on posting pics and stories on your web site, I enjoy them tremendously.

Oh ja, enjoy the ruggers as well.

What was your dad doing in southern Africa, work I suppose?

Melbounre's the best, it didn't get voted "most livable city in the world' for no reason, plus it's where I lived the longest and did most of my schooling. I lived in Brighton for those of you wondering, just south of St Kilda on the beach.

Back