Call signs

Eagle

Anyone have a reference for which company is using what call sign?

Blueridge, or waterski for example?

A lamo one here - everyone probably knows it -

Cactus - America West

The best is when you fly up to the Daytona area... You'd think that Delta opened up a new hub in Sanford.

Embry Riddle's not much better.

One neat call sign is CANDLER. This is the call sign used by ASA. How'd they wind up with that one? Asa Candler was the inventor of Coca-Cola, who lived in Atlanta, where ASA is headquartered.

"A C" or ASEA was much better than Candler!
laugh.gif

Best two callsigns on earth?

"Sundance" and "Springbok"

Sundance was WestAir/United Express on the west coast.

Springbok is South Africa Airline's callsign

[ QUOTE ]
Did you look up Walmart's callsign?

"CHARGE"

[/ QUOTE ]
There's a Wal-Mart distribution center right next to FNL where I fly out of. I guess when flying over it in the pattern, I could see how many confused faces I generate when I say I'm over "CHARGE"
grin.gif

BlueStreak = US Airways Express (PSA)
grin.gif

I have a book that tells the call sign for just about every North American airline, only thing is I can't find it right now because I am still unpacking in my new apartment. I'll let you know if I find it.

im so confused, I thought an airline would have the callsighn or name of the company, I.E. ame would be america west and asa would be asa, eghh, What the hell is a callsighn anyway? Confused
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
im so confused, I thought an airline would have the callsighn or name of the company, I.E. ame would be america west and asa would be asa, eghh, What the hell is a callsighn anyway? Confused
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that callsigns were originally created for brevity on the radio, in order to prevent frequency congestion. Military squadrons use callsigns for that very reason (Phoenix 23, etc). Alot of airlines probably choose their callsigns just because they're pretty cool!! CC Air, out in NC (when they existed) used "Carolina", and Northwest Airlink is pretty cool with "Flagship". Others are just pretty boring...lol.

Delta's callsign "Delta" is kinda rather conservative and mundane i.e. boring. They should change it to "Widget" after the Delta symbol.

Wouldn't it be cool to hear.

"Widget #1296 runway 9L fly heading one,one zero. Wind is one,zero,zero @ 12 knots cleared for takeoff".

Yeah that sounds good....maybe we should start a letter campaign.

Hehe.. I guess the old Ozark scheme should be "Doorjam". <grin>

I liked the old ValueJet callsign "critter".

Just got a good look a the new Midwest Airlines paintjob too... Looking at the tail, they should called "Sharkbite"!
grin.gif
Looks like something bit the back off the tail!

Oh, another good one...

British Airways = Speedbird
Chicago Express = Windy City

Paul

[ QUOTE ]
A lamo one here - everyone probably knows it -

Cactus - America West

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, as a AWA line pilot, using that call sign would probably get really old, really fast.

Back