Call sign

It usually worked alright in PRC with the "Riddle" callsigns. The only time we used the N123ER was when we were on a flight plan or weren't in the general vicinity of the airport area.

Pan Am here in Phoenix was just approved to use the Pan Am callsign throughout the valley including Tracon. So the problem of tail number or callsign is gone. Yippee.

I guess I don't care what you call yourself, as long as you're consistent. However, it would be nice to know what type a/c you are so I can judge the interval...

All I know is that the Delta Connection pilots in Orlando that uses the "Connection ???" call sign screw it up all the time and just make for excess radio chatter. Not to mention they get made fun of all the time on the practice area frequency!
grin.gif

I would have to agree with Chunk. It would be nice to know what type aircraft is entering the pattern with you so you know what to look for. ILS

I'm sure it's the same in Florida as it is in Arizona. As far as PanAm callsigns go:

Single-Digits are 152s (eg: PanAm 6)
Double-Digits are Archers and Arrows (Cherokees) (eg: PanAm 39)
Triple-Digits are Seminoles (eg: PanAm 286)

Thats great for everyone in the know about XYZ schools operating procedures but as others have said how does the pilot from ABC flying into XYZ's area know what kind of plane is in front, behind or about to slam into him?

[ QUOTE ]
Thats great for everyone in the know about XYZ schools operating procedures but as others have said how does the pilot from ABC flying into XYZ's area know what kind of plane is in front, behind or about to slam into him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like an easy enough dilemma. Inquire with ATC or the with other aircraft.

True but doesn't inquiring with the controller create more of the radio chatter that the call sign is supposedly preventing, at least according to the arguments above.

Truely, it's not that big of a deal. I'm glad we (FSI) don't do it. But do I really care if other schools do? No. I'm just glad that this is all that we have to bitch about around here.
wink.gif
Oh yeah, that and the fact that we can't have drinks in the classroom.

Dave

Or the briefing rooms.

But when I was working on my CFI, I'd sneak in all sorts of food (anything from candy bars, to entire Taco Bell meals) in my flight bag for us to snack on. Fun times...
smile.gif

There's nothing like having a full meal while cruising along V3 up to SAV, the PA44 backseat will hold a lot of food, who needs ballast bags, just pack the thing with food. (Just remember that if you bring along sealed packets of food, let's say ranch dressing just for example, that they tend to expand and explode at altitude.)
Ahhh the good times.
As for call signs, I refuse to fly anywhere that I can't use one, it makes me feel important.

[ QUOTE ]
As for call signs, I refuse to fly anywhere that I can't use one, it makes me feel important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you then end up getting stuck in the local area only?
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

I supose we could bitch about the weather room computers again or maybe the wait list! Its been a few weeks now!

Would be more entertaining than this week long debate on call signs! Wonder if they will ever have another stan class?

Back