California (again, I mean)

Autothrust Blue

Speed Bugs, Surf, Sunshine
Though, hopefully, this time, there are no more eastbound moves in the future. Maybe one more move, to the Pacific Northwest, but we’ll see about all that.

I’m an LAX ER copilot come September. Gonna be getting out Northeast Illinois, which, while it’s been great, isn’t where I actually want to be anymore and only really made sense when I could drive to the airplane here. I’m glad I did the New York City thing and that I did the transatlantic thing, but I found myself sitting on a busted-ass A train on my way to work wondering exactly why I was putting myself through the commute when we have perfectly good pilot categories in places I actually want to live, that I could hold. I realized I was all New York’d out and that it was time, and fortunately, there was both a bid and a vacancy.

Exact location of living is TBD, but I’m looking in Long Beach, Huntington, Redondo, Costa Mesa and Irvine. I’d consider Ventura, but that drive is pretty iffy in terms of “prompt availability,” I think. I’ve never been more excited to sit on the 405 again while overpaying for an apartment regardless.

As a bonus, training from the -400 to “the ER” category is something like three sims and some differences OE, which is exactly as much additional training as I can stand at the moment, having done former-employer’s “short course” 320 upgrade followed by ER initial followed by ER-to-400 differences all within the last 2 years.

So uh, yeah, woohoo. Back to speed bugs, sunshine, and surf, at last.
IMG_1169.jpeg

I rented in El Segundo a couple times. It's a cool little town. Sometimes hard to imagine you're surrounded by a metropolis on three sides. The beach is there but you're not ON the beach, so a tad less expensive than the beach cities. Of all the places you mention, I think Irvine would be the least expensive but farthest drive. I stayed at a hotel in Lake Forest recently when I screwed up my RV park reservations. It was nice and noticed condos were affordable. I just sold my condo in San Clemente that was a four minute walk to the beach for probably well less than it would go for in El Segundo. But LAX is a good hour drive when traffic isn't bad.

I rented in El Segundo a couple times. It's a cool little town. Sometimes hard to imagine you're surrounded by a metropolis on three sides. The beach is there but you're not ON the beach, so a tad less expensive than the beach cities. Of all the places you mention, I think Irvine would be the least expensive but farthest drive. I stayed at a hotel in Lake Forest recently when I screwed up my RV park reservations. It was nice and noticed condos were affordable. I just sold my condo in San Clemente that was a four minute walk to the beach for probably well less than it would go for in El Segundo. But LAX is a good hour drive when traffic isn't bad.
El Segundo is a cool city indeed, I’ve spent a lot of time walking around there.

We technically cover LAX ONT SNA, and there’s a decent number of SNA rotations on this thing.

I've stayed in the Hacienda. Never again

San Clemente may be too far south for your comfort level, but such a laid back vibe and some awesome rentals on the west side of the five. I am trying to talk myself out of moving up there, as it saves me 30 miles to work but adds 30 miles to pick up/drop off my kid. Right now it’s a 90/10 distance for work and my kid, San Clemente would be 60/30. I’m positive that it is by far my favorite city in the U.S. I can sit Short Call from Carlsbad but it’s a Firefighter drill to leave if min called. I wouldn’t live as far south if I didn’t have a kid who was local, too much driving.

Last edited:
By completely different, just the screens vs clocks? I’ve always wondered why they split it
767-400 has a completely electronic flight instrument system (PFD/ND arrangement) that looks a lot more like a 777 than a 767-300 or 757. The 757/76-3 have an EADI/EHSI and mechanical airspeed indicators, altimeters, RDMIs and TA/VSIs. Crucially, this place put a fast-slow on the EADI where the speed tape should be, hence.

Congrats. Are you going to be renting, buying in CA.? Selling in ORD, or keeping it as a rental investment and calling Todd to be your PM?

Congrats. I love NYC. Grew up across the river on the Jersey side of the Hudson. But it’s an exhausting place to live. I think I’d take LA over NYC in a heartbeat if I could justify it. My BIL and sister live on the border of LA and Ventura counties. He hasn’t had an issue making it to LAX in a “reasonable time” for trips.

Good luck with the move.

767-400 has a completely electronic flight instrument system (PFD/ND arrangement) that looks a lot more like a 777 than a 767-300 or 757. The 757/76-3 have an EADI/EHSI and mechanical airspeed indicators, altimeters, RDMIs and TA/VSIs. Crucially, this place put a fast-slow on the EADI where the speed tape should be, hence.
Sounds like your -400's are like what UPS went to about five years ago with the PFD's, speed and alt tapes, and all. Three big screens on the panel. Company wanted it to be a home study with the new displays. Union got involved and we got a sim familiarization session. Can you imagine going from one of your -300's to the -400 with just a homestudy.

Back