Calcapt's recap of his roundtable comments

More than any other occupation with the possible exception of doctors, we hold the very lives of our customers in our hands.

I like that Velo. I often tell people I can determine how my day went in the OR simply by how routine it was: If I was bored, it was a very good day for my patients. A great part of that is being prepared, observant, vigilant, and professional. Ready to intervene, exactly as I was trained, in an instant without hesitation or panic. Very similar I say. I remember something Captain Haynes said in his address regarding how ATC seemed almost indifferent to the situation. No one can operate effectively in urgent or grave situations unless they are strictly professional and keep their wits about them. We learn that behavior as we transform ourselves into the professionals we want to become through hard work, training, seizing opportunity, and remembering it is only persistent dedication that gets us where we want to go.

I always keep in mind that I am the last person my patient sees before they go to sleep and the very first after they wake up.

Back