CAL 767 Partial Gear Collapse on EWR taxiway

Teller1900

Anyone know the story? This happened last night (Thu 17 Sept) sometime before 10pm as they were taxiing on either Bravo or Delta for a 4L (EWR) departure.

It was quite a sight when we came in; more fire trucks and PANY/NJ vehicles than I've ever seen, a couple gas trucks, and a couple buses. GC said it was a partial gear collapse, but no one seemed to know anything more about it.

Bored at work. Looks like it was flight 50 to FRA. Left the gate at 800 "returned" at 900. Got a new airplane, finally left at midnight. and the cause of the delay was 'mx'.

No other 767s seem to have been delayed like a gear collapse would.

No it wasn't the old man, hes going to MAD tonight, but I'll see if he knows anything.

I saw the plane this morning around 11am...It was still facing southbound at the south end of the field and it looked like the left main and nosewheel were in the air. There was some sort of stand on the tail as well...

2 of my best friends were on it and called me after they got back to the terminal area...crrrraaazy.

I see they have it blocked at exactly 8 hours and 0 minutes so I guess it was a two man crew.

Same crew ended up flying the replacement flight too. 14:07 duty time starting at 630 pm.

That's real safe! :eek:

I don't fly international but I think I'd be inclined to tell scheduling, get us a relief pilot for the second attempt or bust.

I don't fly international but I think I'd be inclined to tell scheduling, get us a relief pilot for the second attempt or bust.

Can't do that.

You can never "upgrade" a crew to extend duty time, but it can be downgraded.

In your example, for a two man crew already on duty, they can't add a 3rd and extend the duty/flight time. However, if it's a 4 man crew, and someone drops off, they can still comply with 3 man limits.

I see they have it blocked at exactly 8 hours and 0 minutes so I guess it was a two man crew.

Doubtful. The FAA looks at the historical block times of the flight in order to determine if they're going to require an augmented crew.

That's real safe! :eek:

The pairing got revised and the DHing IRO was shown as a working crewmember on the EWR-FRA flight that actually got flown. (DH EWR-EWR, working EWR-FRA is how its shown)

In other semi-unrelated news, there are some random cities that get the IRO working east bound (under 8 hours) now and some that don't, there doesn't seem to be a rime or reason to it either.

That's still trippy how they'll fly 2-man east and 3-man west having the IRO sit in back!

All so they can get FOs to credit more than 100 hours a month.

Funny fact, it costs more in pay for the company to DH a FO over than for him to fly in a 757. All DH pay is given at the blended rate, which is based on the relative fleet size of each pay category for a mixed equipment fleet.

The pairing got revised and the DHing IRO was shown as a working crewmember on the EWR-FRA flight that actually got flown. (DH EWR-EWR, working EWR-FRA is how its shown)

In other semi-unrelated news, there are some random cities that get the IRO working east bound (under 8 hours) now and some that don't, there doesn't seem to be a rime or reason to it either.

To the two replies above this, this is actually what I was thinking of. I remember several of the CAL guys in my old crashpad saying that occasionally when EWR was in a real state of dissaray on those stormy summer nights or de-icing winter evenings, and they had a two-man flight where they'd be scheduled to push at 8PM but wouldn't until midnight, they'd call scheduling up and request that the DH in the back be turned into an IRO for a little help on the way over. Or, whatever the process was. I forget if they said they had to get permission from scheduling or what, but the point is, there's a pilot sitting a few rows behind the cockpit, use them!

All so they can get FOs to credit more than 100 hours a month.

Funny fact, it costs more in pay for the company to DH a FO over than for him to fly in a 757. All DH pay is given at the blended rate, which is based on the relative fleet size of each pay category for a mixed equipment fleet.

Aren't deadheads at call paid 50%? I seem to recall that but I could be wrong.

Dad got this pic sent to him of the move. The airplane was "backed" all the way to the CAL hangars of the opposite side of the field. The 18(+) wheeler drove forward.

Word now floating around the weather room is that the truck physically snapped. The airplane is still out of service.

1253388120gMm8kt.jpeg

Back