CAE Oxford vs. Transpac

So does CAE have a full fleet equipped with g1000's now? Or do they just have one or two and advertise g1000

All of the DA40s, DA42s, Archers, and Seminoless are G1000 equipped. Only the two DA20s used for spin training and the two Arrows used for CFI training are non-G1000.

I have heard that TransPac will be changing its name to AeroGuard Flight Training Center (http://www.flyaeroguard.com).

Can confirm. We've known about it for a while but haven't been allowed to talk about it. New colors are orange and gray. Uniforms are changing as well.

What's new here? We all get a Stratus in the plane now which is awesome. Way better than the ADS-B on the GNS430 in my opinion. They're still hiring like crazy here and they're really short on pilots. CFIIs and MEIs are being fast tracked into instrument and commercial standardization immediately. Stanz is kind of slow because they don't have enough stanz instructors and new hires get to sit around and drink beer and get paid for a month. Also, seems like one person every other new hire class washes out of training either because they suck at flying or they have a bad attitude and get confrontational.

New CEO is really nice and seems to care about us - he doesn't have an aviation background but he admits that and he's really big on safety. He invited the FAA over to talk to us and had all the managers and himself leave the room so we could freely address our concerns. It was nice.

Not much different other than that. Still ramping out with 3 deferred items including a broken AC on the regular. Still really liking it here though.

Last edited:
For those of you familiar with the Phoenix valley foreign student gigs, given the opportunity to instruct at either CAE Oxford at FFZ or Transpac at DVT, which would you choose? Lots of info on JC about both of these operations, so I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse.
My objective is to reach ATP mins for a regional as quickly as possible while maintaining some modicum of QOL in the process. It seems that both have their pros and cons so I'm interested in the feedback of those in the JC community that have experience with either one or both.
Thanks!
send me an email - mmorris@flyaeroguard.com

Can someone tell me what most Instructors do for housing. Is it easy to find roommates or cheap one bedroom apartments near the airport.

Can someone tell me what most Instructors do for housing. Is it easy to find roommates or cheap one bedroom apartments near the airport.

Most people move in somewhere with their roommates from temporary housing. If you can find a few people and rent a house that is the cheapest option. It is extremely easy to find roommates here.

Would be nice if the school had access to some affordable housing. Are most students foreign airline cadets or is it a mix of both foreign and American students?

Would be nice if the school had access to some affordable housing. Are most students foreign airline cadets or is it a mix of both foreign and American students?

It is mostly foreign students and a handful of Americans. There is a very high chance you will teach foreign students. It is mostly Chinese and some Vietnamese and Korean.

They offer housing, I'm not entirely sure what the details are, but they do offer it

They offer housing, I'm not entirely sure what the details are, but they do offer it

It's just temporary housing for 5 weeks when you first come here. They put you in a 3 bedroom apartment with 5 other people. The beds are terrible but it's nice to have while you look for your own place.

I'm interested. Can I apply if I'm a couple weeks out from my CFI checkride (I'm Part 141). Currently a Commercial,ASEL/AMEL, Instrument.

I got a one bedroom for $650/month and it was about 5 minutes from DVT. Pretty affordable around the area. You can get a nicer apartment and pay more (like Aspire, even though I think those are over priced where the students are). The place of had wasn't the worst place but it was not really the best. A bit run down, very hot in the summer, some weird neighbors. In the end though it was great for the pay you make there.

Plus do you really want to come back to your apartment where all your students are at? I heard that's pretty annoying for guys who live at Aspire.

I got a one bedroom for $650/month and it was about 5 minutes from DVT. Pretty affordable around the area. You can get a nicer apartment and pay more (like Aspire, even though I think those are over priced where the students are). The place of had wasn't the worst place but it was not really the best. A bit run down, very hot in the summer, some weird neighbors. In the end though it was great for the pay you make there.

Plus do you really want to come back to your apartment where all your students are at? I heard that's pretty annoying for guys who live at Aspire.
Sorry if this is a necropost. For those who went to Transpac/Aeroguard without much G1000 experience, did the CFI standardization course get you up to speed to effectively train students in the Archers?

Sorry if this is a necropost. For those who went to Transpac/Aeroguard without much G1000 experience, did the CFI standardization course get you up to speed to effectively train students in the Archers?

Based on what I've seen, yes. Plenty of G1000 instructors have successfully gone through standardization and learned how to teach successfully in the 6 pack Archers. There is some sim time before the flights that gives instructors time to develop their scan as well as they can practice in the sim during their own time.

The majority of the fleet are in 6 pack, only the domestic students use the G1000s and the archer fleet isn't that large, only a smaller fraction of instructors fly the G1000s.

Yeah, you won't touch a G1000 unless you're on the pathway side. They don't have as many students, and to even be considered you have to be CFI/II/MEI.

That being said, G1000 just takes an adjustment. If you've ever used Garmin avionics (430, 530, any of the new touchscreen stuff), it's all the same format. Nav and Comm frequencies at the top, instruments on the left screen, map and engine instruments on the right screen. Nav/Com/Intercom buttons are in the middle.

Yeah, you won't touch a G1000 unless you're on the pathway side. They don't have as many students, and to even be considered you have to be CFI/II/MEI.

That being said, G1000 just takes an adjustment. If you've ever used Garmin avionics (430, 530, any of the new touchscreen stuff), it's all the same format. Nav and Comm frequencies at the top, instruments on the left screen, map and engine instruments on the right screen. Nav/Com/Intercom buttons are in the middle.

That and teaching Pathway blows, if you want to build time you do it teaching instrument to Chinese guys in the old 6 pack Archers. The more you "move up" in the company to the nicer planes and higher positions (like training manager) the less you will fly. If you get your MEI to try to go Pathway they'll put you in commercial and you'll be in the sim half the time instead of flying. The only way you get 100 hours a month here is to stay on the front lines in the stack every night until 3 am teaching IR. Everything else will get you an average of 50 a month or less.

Back