C-208B ISR? Seriously?

Suposedly they are being modified at Mecheam in Fort Worth.

The only difference between that and a predator with a camera and two hellfires, is the 208 would be significantly cheaper.

Suposedly they are being modified at Mecheam in Fort Worth.

The only difference between that and a predator with a camera and two hellfires, is the 208 would be significantly cheaper.

Except loiter time. I hope if the Vans they use can hang up there for 40 hours that they equip the crew with piddle packs. Interesting tidbit - I hear on these NSA deals they're requiring two pilots in each aircraft in case one gets shot - Not because the aircraft needs two. The original idea was to use a nav, but it got canned.

Why would the 208 be significantly cheaper? I can see a bit cheaper when you factor in R&D which is already sunk, but it's the fancy sensors and crap that drive up the cost, right? And if the Van is equipped with all of those, it should demand a high price tag as well?

The Caravans are fitted with an EO/IR surveillance sensor ball offset to the left side of the aircraft. The engine exhaust is offset to the right to avoid interference with the IR sensor. The sensor ball, targeting pods and missiles are the same as those on the Predator UAV. A pod on the leading edge of the right wing of the Caravan holds a weather radar. The aircraft also has missile warning sensors on the tail and nose and what appears to be chaff and flare dispensers for self protection.

fd8a6af4-9182-403c-a5fa-1bcd88a5353dlarge.jpg

f36dbd0b-725b-48bb-b392-c629cf92701b.Large.jpg

I think this is much more sexy, as far as turboprop aircraft go. An armed EMB A-29 Super Tucano. Two wing mounted .50 cals with Piranha air-to-air missiles....very nice :) Maybe when I'm done flying the T-6A Texan II, I can hire on as a mercenary.

a29_super_tucano.jpg

If the AF decided to arm a Beech 1900, I'd give my left nut to fly that sexy beast.

The airforce does fly UC-21s (I think that's their designator for the 1900C), I'm not entirely sure what they use them for, but ya know. It'd be cool.

I think they're C-12J 's. They do some kind of jamming BS. Still cool, but not cool enough for me to offer half my chances at procreating for them to reconsider my obviously debilitating far-sighted condition. :sarcasm:

Back