C-182 Transporting Across the Atlantic

mdolezal

Hey ya'll-
I'm looking into the possibility of transporting a C-182 from the US to Sweden and was looking for some advice on doing this. Anybody have any thoughts on good websites, articles, books, etc... for planning this sort of trip out?
Thanks for any help!
Mat

The water is very cold :)

Seriously, a few people on here are knowledgeable on this so they might help.

Hey ya'll-
I'm looking into the possibility of transporting a C-182 from the US to Sweden and was looking for some advice on doing this. Anybody have any thoughts on good websites, articles, books, etc... for planning this sort of trip out?
Thanks for any help!
Mat

In a box. On a ship. It will cost about the same in the long run.

Shipping? Where's the fun in that :) Barry Schiff talks a little bit about flying the North Atlantic in GA airplanes in Proficient Pilot vol. 3.

passport, plane certificate for ocean crossing, flight plan filing...etc. I forgot to where I found those info. :eek:

In a box. On a ship. It will cost about the same in the long run.
Agreed. But, as others have said, where's the fun in that? Plus, who wouldn't want a few days in Sweden. I'm not leaving all of that fun to be had by a box.
So... any other ideas? :)

Not saying you are doing it, but if I ever agreed on doing this trip (I wouldn't in a 182), I wouldn't go into it with any type of chip on your shoulder, or cocky attitude.

Personally I am not against doing it - this sort of flying interests me a great deal. I've read stories of recreational sailors who bring along considerable emergency equipment on trans-oceanic voyages only to have no idea how to use it when it mattered. Don't be like them.
If you elect to do a crossing I would get some sort of training in ditching and survival techniques. I am betting somebody offers a course. If there are no aviation related ones there are certainly nautical ones for abandoning ship. Practice flopping around in water and really know how to use your raft and whatever other emergency equipment you bring along. Expect that you will use it and be pleasently surprised when you don't.

Do it, Do it! Get all the gear and the training you need. But please take pics and videos of it! ;)

Hey ya'll-
Thanks for any help!
Mat

Need a safety pilot? :D

Let me know if you need a copilot, I'm serious about that. It's a unique experience and I would love to be a part of something like that.

You could shoot Jens Abilgaard an e-mail. He flew around the world in a 182, including an insane 16-hour or something leg from Hawaii to San Diego.

http://www.hosbiz.com/index.php

Nice guy. I checked him out in an SR-22 he was ferrying to Denmark for a guy.

I did a little research when a guy wanted me to ferry an SR-20 to France. When all was said and done it was just cheaper and easier to hire a ferry pilot who had done it before (had all the gear, knew how to pronounce Narsarsuaq, that sort of stuff) so that was my recommendation to the owner and I never got the trip.

I think the longest leg is something like 672nm or such (Goose Bay to Narsarsuaq).

Good luck, bring lots of gas, don't fly if the weather is bad.

http://www.cessna150-152.com/transatlantic.htm
@

This is a pretty cool story who ferried a 150 from Virginia to South Africa. There is also a book out there called "So You Want to be a Ferry Pilot" by Spike Nasmyth which is an entertaining and informative read. Have fun and remember to zip up your suit, there was a guy who ditched his plane in front of an oil rig or something survived the crash and then later died because he didn't have his survival suit zipped up.

Also I would also love to throw myself on the Safety Pilot standby list.:D

Hey ya'll-
Thanks for any help!
Mat

Just curious, are you making in money on this deal? I have always wondered if it's possible to make a living doing this sort of flying, especially now.

Back