C-182 High Performance?

[ QUOTE ]
Where are you flying of out of?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm up in Ventura County and SNA is quite a drive...though I guess I could always fly down
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Your at Santa Paula with CP aviation? I think that is one of their 152's you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got it. Well, though it's actually a C150. I know you can't make out the tail # on that plane...so you must be familiar with SZP. If you're ever at CP, I'm the one sulking in the corner because the weather is &*(^%
wink.gif

The way I understood it, there can only be one, and only one pilot in command at any given time... so what is the difference between flying pilot in command and acting as pilot in command if they can both log the time as PIC?

[ QUOTE ]
The way I understood it, there can only be one, and only one pilot in command at any given time... so what is the difference between flying pilot in command and acting as pilot in command if they can both log the time as PIC?

[/ QUOTE ]
As has been covered here ad infinitum, the FAA distinguishes between ACTING as PIC and LOGGING PIC time; they are not necessarily one and the same.

You are correct that only one person can ACT as PIC in the 14 CFR Part 1.1 sense, but there are a number of situations where more than one pilot can log PIC time. A certificated pilot with an ASEL category and class rating (but no high performance endorsement) receiving dual instruction in a high performance aircraft is permitted by Part 61.51(e)(1)(i) to log the time that he/she/it is sole manipulator of the controls as PIC time because he/she/it is RATED in that category and class of aircraft.

A high-performance endorsement is just that--an endorsement--not a rating, so while a pilot lacking that endorsement cannot legally ACT as pilot in command, he/she/it may log such time as PIC under the 'sole manipulator' rule.

Clear as mud?

Just like you can log PIC time if you are acting as a saftey pilot for someone who is flying simulated IFR.

As for the endorsment, the CFI's at our club won't even talk to you until you have at least 100 hours...

About 15years ago, I put a bit of time in 182s, 206s and T-34s, and a 150. About 15hrs was logged and I lost the log books, and maybe another 30hrs as a "passenger" where the pilot was not a CFI so I never logged any of it. Then another 50hrs or so just sitting along.

Anyhow, no recent formal instruction in the HP Cessnas, but here is what I'd recommend.

Make a step up from the little 2 place to a 172. Whatever field you are at has to have one for rent. Anyhow, get a good few hours in after whatever checkout they require. And fly the pattern at full speed, no flaps, and slow down only on final, and do no flap landings. Then do that same thing, but use flaps only after turning onto final. That'll help you get used to slowing down the higher performance plane. Work it into going somewhere if you want to build CC time for example for an IFR cert. The difference in speed will almost always make up for the little increase in per hour cost.

Get used to doing go-arounds, and use of the rudder when making that power back to full power transition as it will be more pronounced in the 182.

In all, a much more stable plane to fly, but I'd say work on landings a lot before you take it out on your own. A good 15-20 landings with an instructor or very competent 182 pilot next to you would be a very good idea.

Then when all set, get use to having the power to take off real short, climb like crazy, and get somewhere twice as fast as in the little 150/152.

Hope that helps.

Josh

Back