C-182 Down in Georgia

Seems like there have been quite a few fatal GA accidents recently.

You cannot draw any conclusions about the frequency of aircraft accidents based on what you read in the media. If anything, I'd bet the number of accidents will be lower than normal this year due to reduced number of flight hours because of the economy. In fact, a query on the NTSB page for the month of January shows 75 accidents this year versus 101 last year.

The only thing I notice is that more people are posting these kinds of accidents on JC, so it may seem more, but in reality it's not.

You cannot draw any conclusions about the frequency of aircraft accidents based on what you read in the media. If anything, I'd bet the number of accidents will be lower than normal this year due to reduced number of flight hours because of the economy. In fact, a query on the NTSB page for the month of January shows 75 accidents this year versus 101 last year.

Yeah, but I'd be interested to see how many GA flights there are today versus a year ago. The rampers I talk to say that light GA flying is down huge right now.

Don't forget about the two major accidents that have already happened this year. Once an airliner falls out of the sky, the news will pick up more of the smaller aircraft going down for news articles. The trend will decrease in time.

:yeahthat:

Anybody remember the summer shark attacks of 2001. People were canceling vacations to the east coast, and at the end of the season, there were fewer than normal shark attacks.

Not really drawing any conclusions...just SEEMS that way. I will concede that the figures (75v101) in fact show less accidents, but I am curious what the accident rate is? I also agree that the press is to blame for most of the "assumptions".

Back