C-150 ... go-kart of the sky

pilot602

If specified, this will replace the title that
Well I started (and got about half- to two-thirds -way through) my "training" for the CASEL add-on this weekend. I'm doing it in a 150. I was originaly going to do it in the Champ but with only 11 hours of tailwheel time I figured a botched wheel landing is/was just one more potential way to bust the ride. So, to lower the workload on myself I'm just doing it in the 150.

What a fun little airplane!

It's supremely underpowered but it's just a stable, fun little ride.

aren't they fun? I fly one from time to time, it made for some cheap time building for my commercial. I've STILL got to get my long solo x/c in...I've been trying forever but weather then work has kept me from getting it knocked out. I'm doing the thing in a 150...which is going to take FOREVER. Hey, it's time...

My Go-Cart has a Garmin 430 and is rated for aerobatics. Wish I could get another 50 hp out of it, though.

Yeah it'd be a really nice little bird with another 50 ro 60hp in it. Man. Toss an O-320B in it and watch out!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
aren't they fun? I fly one from time to time, it made for some cheap time building for my commercial. I've STILL got to get my long solo x/c in...I've been trying forever but weather then work has kept me from getting it knocked out. I'm doing the thing in a 150...which is going to take FOREVER. Hey, it's time...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey man, I just did mine 2 days ago in a 150... i logged 7.7 hours, but the weather was perfect so I cant complain =).

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah it'd be a really nice little bird with another 50 ro 60hp in it. Man. Toss an O-320B in it and watch out!
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I towed banners in a C-150 with 180 hp in it. It was a converted aerobat and boy could that thing climb...

Well be glad you're in the C-150 in the winter. In the summertime, the thermals can make your head hit the ceiling and the hot density altitudes yield, a 200ft/minute climb performance with two people. What's really fun is flying into a strong headwind, and watching cars pass on the freeway below.
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Well be glad you're in the C-150 in the winter. In the summertime, the thermals can make your head hit the ceiling and the hot density altitudes yield, a 200ft/minute climb performance with two people. What's really fun is flying into a strong headwind, and watching cars pass on the freeway below.
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I did all of my private pilot training in a 152, in eastern NC, with a whole lot of flying in the summer heat!!! Those bumps can get nasty!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I want to strap a PT-6 on the front of a 152 and see what it can do... lol....

[/ QUOTE ]
hahaha....
grin.gif

imagine the amount of rudder on takeoff.......
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I want to strap a PT-6 on the front of a 152 and see what it can do... lol....
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the fuel flow on a PT-6?? Doesn't seem you'd have much more than about an hour of flight time...but it sure would be fun!!!
grin.gif

Try 15 minutes, Lloyd ... our takeoff fuel flow is over 400 pounds an hour (per side) in the King Air. Let's see ... at 800 pph, average jet fuel density of 6.7ppg, that's ... 120 gallons an hour.

To say nothing of the fact that the thing would be way over gross while empty, and just ridiculously nose-heavy.

Leave it to a bunch of pilot-dorks to take a joke and perform technical analysis on it.

FL270

Flight at MCA

Whenever winds aloft were 30 knots or so, my CFI would occasionally ask me to demo the 150's special MCA abilities--flying backwards.

[ QUOTE ]
Leave it to a bunch of pilot-dorks to take a joke and perform technical analysis on it.

FL270

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, that's why we're pilots - that's the only way we could get away with it!!!
grin.gif

That would be just about enough time to start, taxi at a small airport and climb to TPA!!! Then, it's right back down!!!

[ QUOTE ]
To say nothing of the fact that the thing would be way over gross while empty . . .
FL270

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we could install crash-attenuating seats, and that would take care of our single engine stalling speed limitation, up the stalling speed to about 80 knots and we would be in there!!!

We could even turn this into an airliners.net thread, and debate why Cessna never produced a PT-6 conversion for the 150!!!
grin.gif

The turbine out front of the turbine bonanza only runs around 30 gph at 220 knots. Talk about a fun time. The increaes in gross weight and the addition of long range tanks on the wings and a belly tank, the 152 could go for around 2 hours!!
grin.gif

Aviation dork edit ... divide my fuel figure by two, since I figured it for two engines (on the King Air) versus the single one we'd place on our highly mythical, exceedingly impractical, C-150TP.

So, assuming the w/b would ever work (highly questionable), you could probably get a takeoff, jaunt over to the next airport ten miles away, and land ... but only day VFR!

FL270

Back