Andrew_Neal

Got off Marine Corps active duty last year after 5 years. Health insurance isn't great where I work plus I miss being a part of the military, so I called up an air national guard recruiter. Since I'm finishing up my PPL I am eligible to try for a C-130H3 FE spot at this unit. Any C-130 FE's here that can say anything about the school and the job?

All I know is that in the civilian world, FE time is absolutely worthless.

Yeah mainly benefits. Got some great info from Soku... thanks again.
may be holding off and trying to be a pilot in the AF reserve.
Meanwhile, while finishing my degree I may continue to drill with the Marine Corps for benefits since I'm still on contract.. and won't have to attend any additional schools that will take away from time spent on the degree.
I'm in a "critical" MOS so they'll buy my plane ticket to fly me down to New Orleans 1 weekend a month... not a bad deal in the short term.

All I know is that in the civilian world, FE time is absolutely worthless.
I wouldn't say it's "absolutely worthless", especially from a maintainers perspective. It shows a high level of technical knowledge and comprehension, and an ability to apply it.
Having a FO or Captain with that depth of understanding and experience with aircraft systems can be a huge plus, especially when things start going south.
Also, there are a few civilians operating C-130s out there.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's "absolutely worthless", especially from a maintainers perspective. It shows a high level of technical knowledge and comprehension, and an ability to apply it.
Having a FO or Captain with that depth of understanding and experience with aircraft systems can be a huge plus, especially when things start going south.
Also, there are a few civilians operating C-130s out there.

FE made me a much better pilot, but in the end AirlineApps doesn't count it.

I'd really enjoy it.. but my priorities at the moment are my private check ride here soon, then finishing my flying education and bachelors degree. A year or so of FE school doesn't fit well with my long term goals as spending that much time just learning FE stuff would push me closer to the UPT age cut off if I end up deciding to do that. Going to keep it simple for now and keep trucking along at this part 141 school.. get a degree.. possibly drill with this Marine Corps unit... and I'll reassess later. The FE thing came up and sounded cool... I'm easily distracted. Good thing JetCareers and Reddit are around to help me make informed life decisions. :cool:

Haha, at this point it's a box I need to check sooner rather than later, so yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha!
Lots of military go there. I looked into them, they're overpriced.

Knock it out while you can bro.
I still haven't checked that box. Came close, but life got in the way and I had to bail during my senior year. Now I'm not sure I will ever get 'r done.

Yeah it is overpriced. Hopefully I won't be the one paying for it. Between what I'll have left of the GI bill + my companies tuition assistance.

Sounds like you're not going to go the FE route, but I'd definitely say that being a herk aircrew guy is awesome! The airplane is awesome and the FE is central to mission success. I've flown the herk for 8yrs and the FE is always my go to guy. Very highly respected job on the crew.

I'd really enjoy it.. but my priorities at the moment are my private check ride here soon, then finishing my flying education and bachelors degree. A year or so of FE school doesn't fit well with my long term goals as spending that much time just learning FE stuff would push me closer to the UPT age cut off if I end up deciding to do that. Going to keep it simple for now and keep trucking along at this part 141 school.. get a degree.. possibly drill with this Marine Corps unit... and I'll reassess later. The FE thing came up and sounded cool... I'm easily distracted. Good thing JetCareers and Reddit are around to help me make informed life decisions. :cool:

A YEAR of flight engineer school? Does it really take a year to get your Flight Engineer training in the military? If so, why so long? Back when the airlines had flight engineers you could go from 1st day of ground school, to on the line, in about 3 months. Why does the military take 4 times as long?

Back