C-130 lands on a carrier

took me a bit to figure out too, computering isn't my forte. but here ya go... Sweet vid. that's insane, thanks for sharing.

[yt]CfwJJD5jGXk&feature=related[/yt]

So, did they mean it landed and stopped WITHOUT arresting cables??? Crazy! Were the catapults used for takeoffs, or were they static takeoffs?

I was based across the hangar from VXE-6. They had both Hercs and H-1Ns. The funniest thing about VXE-6? The helo guys had a hard time maintaining night quals. In Antarctica they were day flying 24/7, in the wintertime (summer down south). When they were home (summer) the base closed at 2200 and there was only about an hour of darkness.

If they wanted to get night quals, they had to go on cross country flights.

I was based across the hangar from VXE-6. They had both Hercs and H-1Ns. The funniest thing about VXE-6? The helo guys had a hard time maintaining night quals. In Antarctica they were day flying 24/7, in the wintertime (summer down south). When they were home (summer) the base closed at 2200 and there was only about an hour of darkness.

If they wanted to get night quals, they had to go on cross country flights.

Did VXE and the New York Guard 130 squadron at Schenectady have the same mission?

I don't know. VXE-6 was seconded to the National Science Foundation for Antarctic research. I tried for helo pilot orders there, but got Pt. Mugu station flying. In the long run, it was OK because I checked out on the King Air and launched my fixed wing career.

Except they put the engines on upside down. :)

Speaking of versatile, the T-56 engine is pretty awesome as well. The upside down thing has been the source of much jousting and ribbing between USAF and USN crews for many years. I'm staying out of it for political reasons. :laff:

Wow...I had never heard about this before...and I work with a couple die hard C-130 lovers. Truthfully, I'm not surprised the Herc can do it given its shortfield ops capabilities, but I am amazed that the wing could clear the superstructure on takeoff.

What would be really impressive is a landing and JATO-assisted takeoff from something like an LHD. I don't think the wing would clear the island though. 132ft wingspan on a 100ft wide flight deck....maybe if you landed on the port edge of the deck???

Speaking of versatile, the T-56 engine is pretty awesome as well. The upside down thing has been the source of much jousting and ribbing between USAF and USN crews for many years. I'm staying out of it for political reasons. :laff:

Is the USAF engine one way and the USNs the other?

Anyone have pictures?

Back