buying into a share

planesiscool

If I were to buy into a share and I wanted to get into an airplane that could haul four people comfortably on a cross country, what might some of you recommend? When I say four people I don't mean 4 people weighing 150 lbs/each. I myself am 250 and when I was a bean pole I weighed 190 because I am tall, so some body help me out here. I only have my PPL with no complex, high performance or tail wheel endorsement but I could certainly go and obtain one or all of these if necessary. I was thinking perhaps a C182.

Just so you know, a C-182 is a high performance aircraft at 230hp. I'd hazard a guess that you'd be better off with an aircraft such as a Saratoga or a Cherokee Six.

Just so you know, a C-182 is a high performance aircraft at 230hp. I'd hazard a guess that you'd be better off with an aircraft such as a Saratoga or a Cherokee Six.

I do realize that about the 182 which is why I said I may need to get my high perfomance endorsement. I should have made that more clear.

I am a big fan of the C210. This thing can haul 6 adults and baggage and still have load to spare. For a tall guy there is room at the controls. And it cruises at a descent speed and fuel consumption. The complex and high performance are not not difficult, time consuming, or expensive.

I hate to say it, but unless you get a ton of partners, there is nothing in your price range that will work.

I hate to say it, but unless you get a ton of partners, there is nothing in your price range that will work.

Yeah, and it's difficult to find partnerships with that many. I'm very fortunate - I have a partnership with 15 guys, of which only 4 or 5 actually fly the plane. But partnerships are pretty limited, as are your aircraft choices when looking for one.

When buying or buying into a first plane alot of people have big dreams about huge XC's with all their freinds seeing the entire country and spending alot of time in the air. Although it happens and is alot of fun it doesnt happen very often. My recomendation is to save your money and buy into something small cheap and fun to fly because realistically you will be spending alot of time flying solo and giving the occasional joyride with a friend or two. Then if you need the big XC you can rent a plane with all the money you saved, and when the time comes to get that bigger faster XC machine then you will know the ins and outs of aircraft ownership and will have a better idea of what your really looking for in a second plane.

As far as a second plane, I would choose something like a Mooney for the cheap route (if you can find one) or a 6 seater if money isnt a problem.

Good luck, post up with pics when you get your new bird.

When buying or buying into a first plane alot of people have big dreams about huge XC's with all their freinds seeing the entire country and spending alot of time in the air. Although it happens and is alot of fun it doesnt happen very often. My recomendation is to save your money and buy into something small cheap and fun to fly because realistically you will be spending alot of time flying solo and giving the occasional joyride with a friend or two. Then if you need the big XC you can rent a plane with all the money you saved, and when the time comes to get that bigger faster XC machine then you will know the ins and outs of aircraft ownership and will have a better idea of what your really looking for in a second plane.

As far as a second plane, I would choose something like a Mooney for the cheap route (if you can find one) or a 6 seater if money isnt a problem.

You are right but I think I am just going to rent until I can save up the money for the bigger bird. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Pretty much right on the head.

FYI, I've got a low time C model Mooney for sale at $32,000. Why buy a share when you'll still have to pay per hour and possibly dues when you can just buy your own plane?

If you're dead set on a plane save some cash and just spring for the 182. It's a great airframe that will do everything you need reasonably economically.

I've always said that if you show me a plane which is able to fill the seats and fill the tanks, I'll show you a plane that needs bigger tanks. If you want to put four hefty guys in a plane and actually do some traveling, then you're looking for a six place plane. You're going to have a hard time finding partnerships in general. You're going to have harder time finding partnerships on a six-place. And even more difficulty finding that for under $10k. But it doesn't hurt to try.

It might help to further define your mission. Who are the three pax you have in mind? Is it wife and kids or wife and friends or just friends? How far are the cross countries you have in mind? Less than 500nm most of the time? Or greater than 500nm most of the time? How many trips a year? How much local/solo flying vs travel with pax? Define all that and you'll have a better idea of whether you need a six place load hauler or a four place puddle jumper.

I've always said that if you show me a plane which is able to fill the seats and fill the tanks, I'll show you a plane that needs bigger tanks. If you want to put four hefty guys in a plane and actually do some traveling, then you're looking for a six place plane. You're going to have a hard time finding partnerships in general. You're going to have harder time finding partnerships on a six-place. And even more difficulty finding that for under $10k. But it doesn't hurt to try.

It might help to further define your mission. Who are the three pax you have in mind? Is it wife and kids or wife and friends or just friends? How far are the cross countries you have in mind? Less than 500nm most of the time? Or greater than 500nm most of the time? How many trips a year? How much local/solo flying vs travel with pax? Define all that and you'll have a better idea of whether you need a six place load hauler or a four place puddle jumper.

Good things to think about. This is why I put the question out to begin with because I need to know how much I can reasonably expect to spend. If the share thing doesn't work out it looks like I'll have to spend at least $40K, which will take a lot more time to save up.

I am a big fan of the C210. This thing can haul 6 adults and baggage and still have load to spare. For a tall guy there is room at the controls. And it cruises at a descent speed and fuel consumption. The complex and high performance are not not difficult, time consuming, or expensive.

YOUVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME??!?!?? A 210 will only take 6 adults and bags with almost ZERO fuel load... With full fuel.... MAYBE 4 adults.. MAYBE...

Here is a flying club I used to be a member of. I say flying club but it could also be considered a partnership. There were about 15 members sharing two planes. The share price was about $3000 which you could resell when you wanted out. This probably is not in your area, but just an example of the types of things that are out there.

http://www.six4asix.com/n33354.aspx#

YOUVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME??!?!?? A 210 will only take 6 adults and bags with almost ZERO fuel load... With full fuel.... MAYBE 4 adults.. MAYBE...

Max Weight - 4000
Empty Weight - 2221
Max Fuel - 90x6=540
6 Passengers - 6x200=1200
4000-2221=1779
1200+540=1740

Back