but here are some downsides

If your husband/wife is going to cheat, they're going to cheat! It doesn't matter what they do for a living. I was a flight attendant for 7 years, I ended up marrying the pilot I dated during that time. The stereotypical womanizing pilot sleeping around with the hussy flight attendants is as long gone as 36 hour overnights in ORY. Of the many pilots and flight attendants I knew personally, I only know of two who have messed around where they shouldn't have, and that was just their personality anyway, they would have acted that way if they were a doctor or salesman or anything else.

By the way, the great majority of flight attendants wouldn't touch a pilot with somebody else's 10 foot pole! I hate to say it, because I was NOT one of them, but a lot of flight attendants for some reason or another don't like pilots.

[ QUOTE ]
What?? Go pills??

[/ QUOTE ]

Amphetamines for military pilots.

[ QUOTE ]
If your husband/wife is going to cheat, they're going to cheat! It doesn't matter what they do for a living. I was a flight attendant for 7 years, I ended up marrying the pilot I dated during that time. The stereotypical womanizing pilot sleeping around with the hussy flight attendants is as long gone as 36 hour overnights in ORY. Of the many pilots and flight attendants I knew personally, I only know of two who have messed around where they shouldn't have, and that was just their personality anyway, they would have acted that way if they were a doctor or salesman or anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true.

The popular media and "Joe Six Pack" (the flying public) have this impression of that a three day trip is nothing but an extended happy hour, sitting around the Four Seasons hotel pool with flight attendants in bikinis and the pilots with two flight attendants on each arm.

Sheesh, where do I sign up for that!
smile.gif

They see a three-day trip as simply shuttling between 5-star hotels on the French Riviera, Manhattan or Miami. Ordering the seafood ceviche and carpaccio of beef on the private beach in Spain, while reading up on your investments in the Wall Street Journal while sipping on a snifter of Courvosier.

When you attempt to explain that you change cabin crews about every other leg, generally lay over in seperate hotels, or even if they do, normally prefer not to even hang out together, it falls on deaf ears.

Or when you try to explain that your average trip isn't 18-hours in Paris, more or less a 9-hour layover in Baton Rouge at the freeway-side Holiday Inn, a 10-hour layover in Ontario by the airport and a wonderful 11-hour layover in the Airport Holiday Inn-Newark with a spectacular view of a prison recreation yard, they think you're exaggerating.

And the worst part of the stigma is that it makes some of your non-airline friends jealous and it makes your spouse suspicious which, I think, adds on to the prevalence of "AIDS-Airline Induced Divorce Syndrome".

I know a guy who is a captain and also is in "The Reserves" (I won't say which branch just in case he happens to read this). And admittedly, this is only his half of the story, but it goes like this.

His wife has friends like I mentioned above. The type that ask, "How can you stand your husband being on the road with all of those flight attendants?" -- When in reality, we rarely lay over with flight attendants. And if we do, generally, they'll head off to Target to purchase some junk for their kids, the captain takes a long nap and I'll go wander around town looking for a newspaper and a quiet park bench.

I've known this guy for a few years, but he's pretty much straight and narrow, working two jobs to afford a nice living for his wife and children, and is the first guy to whip out pictures of his kids and family and talk for hours about them in flight. Definitely a family man as far as I can see.

Anyway, he's doing a deployment back east and gets a hotel off of one of those discount travel websites. He had to arrange for his own hotel because apparently, his assistant dropped the ball and didn't reserve enough rooms. Basically he's staying in the middle of nowhere by the military base and didn't bother to invite his wife because there'd be nothing to do besides watch television and watch the cars whiz by on the freeway during the military exercises.

While he was doing his expense reports, she notices the receipt and it shows "Two Queen Beds-Standard Room" and gets pissed.

"Why did you need two beds? Who were you with?"

Apparently, his wives friends are known to always ask her, "How do you know he's always doing military reserve stuff when he's away?" Plus the everpresent, "We're working two jobs to make ends meet, you're a stay at home mom and your husband is making $500,000,000 per year to drink coffee and drink foo-foo drinks on the beach with 100 amorous flight attendants" from her friends. If you're married to a pilot, you know what I'm talking about.

A few weeks later, he's on a deployment to [A base in the desert] for an exercise and invites his wife to come along because the other officers in his unit are bring their wives too and are staying at a hotel [near a major attraction].

Nope, too busy, no interest. Obviously still upset about the "suspicious" hotel receipt. Apparently, her friends have her convinced that he's meeting with someone because they saw this television movie once where...

After the exercise is over, he heads out to dinner with the other officers and their wives and his cellular telephone rings.

He picks it up and apparently all his wife hears is the officer's wives laughing and talking in the background.

The connection goes dead.

He calls back and the line is busy.

Anyway, when he returns home from the deployment, he's served with divorce papers and the locks are changed on the house.

Gotta love movies like Lifetime Network's "Frequent Flyer" and "Catch Me If You Can" to preserve the stereotype.

[ QUOTE ]
[Anyway, when he returns home from the deployment, he's served with divorce papers and the locks are changed on the house.

Gotta love movies like Lifetime Network's "Frequent Flyer" and "Catch Me If You Can" to preserve the stereotype.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Psycho-wife.

You mean that there aren't the hot FAs parading around in lingerie at the hotel room?

Screw airline flying, then.
laugh.gif

Hey CR, how about a little flying action in South America where you can make some good six-figure $$$ to boot. I asked Jones if he'd be interested, but he didn't reply.

Easy access to Go pills...
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

Oh, Mikey!

I've heard more stories of "I came home early from a trip and saw a Harley Davidson in my driveway" than anything else!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, Mikey!

I've heard more stories of "I came home early from a trip and saw a Harley Davidson in my driveway" than anything else!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug,

You can't just throw out a juicy bone of gossip out there like that without expanding on it....do tell....;of course, no names needed....
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

You can't just throw out a juicy bone of gossip out there like that without expanding on it....do tell....;of course, no names needed....
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that one a couple of times!

Or the "man, my wife took a sudden liking to country music and rodeos" and then the next time I see the guy, he's bitching because his wife left him for some 22 year old cowboy and he's paying her fat bank for alimony and lost his house.

Hmmm. Just shows the value of some wives.......and probably husbands too.

A wise man once told me that men and women weren't designed to be together for more than one night at a time.

On second thought, i probably shouldn't have told those stories, because then I'd be guilty of stereotyping. But I think as long as people are able to seperate the person from the profession, everything should work fine.

Me? I'm just a couch potato that puts on a uniform about 17 times per month and flies Jethro from his trailer park in Ft. Worth to Tampa.

Sometimes smoothly, other times not.

a 10-hour layover in Ontario by the airport
------------------------------------------------------------

Doug, what you don't enjoy the fine ambiance of the Country Inn?! The blazing hot hallways, freezing in room air conditioners, and the relaxing sounds of midnight trains. But, at least the breakfast is good.

But seriously J.T. does have a point, the airline life is not a bed of roses. Being fairly new, some of it I had expected and some came as a surpise. It seems that (nobody specific) many people feel once they reach an airline all their troubles will be solved. Kind of like when people get married, this is when the hard work really starts and the true love shines through or doesn't. So far for me, it has been worth the stress of the commute, crappy schedules, and pennies for pay. I hope it will remain this way for me, but I can empathize with those that it doesn't. Later.

Actually, we stay next door at the Doubletree. But I have walked past the Country Inn!
smile.gif

You pro pilots are scaring off all of us aspiring pro pilots away j/k come on, tell us about the awsome layovers in manhattan and places like that!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
There aren't any airports in manhattan
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, when we have long NYC layovers, we stay at the Milford Plaza near Broadway in Manhattan.

OK hotel, but it passes the first three laws of a layover hotel: Location, Location, Free breakfast.

About being "scared off" ---

Well if you are scared off by bad overnights, time to leave NOW.

Even though every airline union has a Hotel Committee, there are just some towns you can't fix. Some that stick out in my memory:

The Ramada in PHL: My feet "stuck" to the carpeting. I never go barefoot in a hotel anyway, but when I put on my white workout socks and walked around for only 1 hr - the bottom of my socks were black. On the other hand, they provided a "crew room" with big screen TV, 24 hr juice and coffee, and continental breakfast in the morning so I still enjoyed the hotel. I hear they may have upgraded the carpets recently.

The Ramada we used in PFN (Panama City, FL) stank of mildew. The carpets had gotten soaked by a recent hurricane and they couldn't afford to replace them, even with all kinds of insurance and Disaster Relief money. It was also in a bad section of town and I feared for my life if I went out after 8pm.

The Knights Inn at PBI. This was a hooker joint! It smelled really bad, too. It was next to a Days Inn which had IHOP connected to the front, so the food was good. The place was cheap, however, which was why we crash padded there. What was worse was that Mesa Hotel Desk found out we stayed there and started moving the overnight pilots there away from the much more expensive downtown Holiday Inn (which was awesome!)

The Flanders Inn in Massena, NY. Ok you can't expect much in Massena. The building was very old. All the wiring was two prong and I had to bring an adapter along to plug in my laptop. Massena is not the Cultural Mecca of the north either. There is no place to get food after 8pm except a gas station two blocks away that has vending machines. If you get there before 11 you can go in and get stuff out of the glass fridge (those awful microwave sandwiches.) The morning breakfast (free to pilots) was great however! I just hated going to sleep hungry.

We had some fantastic overnights in the Caribbean (when I was at Eagle-Executive) but they were rarely long enough. And on the occasional months where there were long overnights, the schedules sucked and became non-commutable. Tradeoffs.

It's important to remember that being home beats even the best overnight!

Some "tips" to Hotel living.

1) Do not go barefeet! You can not only injure your feet but you will find out that you get "sick" more. A doctor told me this and he was right.

2) Touching them as little as possible, remove the comforter and blankets from your bed and stash them in a corner. These are NEVER WASHED! You don't know who did what to whom with what on these things. The only part of your bed clothes that are washed is the sheets.

3) If you are getting up late for an afternoon show put the Do Not Disturb sign out on the knob. Even then, housekeeping may knock on your door, or they go to the next room and call you as "housekeeping." I caught on to this trick once and said, "hold on a sec," walked out my room and in to the next one and said "Why are you calling me from another room? Can you not read the Do Not Disturb sign on my door???" She was so embarassed I never did it again.

4) Safety. Look at the fire escape route on the door. Might even go check it out. If you are going to be an airline pilot you are going to spend a lot of time in hotels and you will be more likely to need this route than anyone else. I've had to evacuate a hotel twice.

5) Wake-up Calls. Totally unreliable. Also not a valid excuse for showing late! Take a portable alarm clock or get one of those watches or cell phones that have an alarm function.

6) Get a plan with the rest of the crew. Where you are meeting downstairs and at what time. Please do not go to the airport early! I had an FO do this to me in BOS. We waited for him downstairs, couldn't find him, hadn't checked out of his room, Crew Tracking didn't know where he was, so finally we had security break in to his room in case he was dying or something. Finally we went to the airport (very late) and he was sitting in the cockpit wondering what our problem was. He hadn't checked out of his room since we were coming back to BOS for a 4 hr break that day and he was planning on "a nap." As you can imagine, we had a little "come to Jesus" meeting that day
smile.gif

7) Keep non-perishable food and medicines in your bag. There are many times you get in so late you can't get anything to eat. There are also several times you need aspirin, antacids, cold medicine, etc. You are traveling a lot and getting exposed to everything. To compound this, all the altitude changes lower your resistence until you get used to it.

That's all for now. Anyone think of more?

I think I probably get about 25% of my scheduled wakeup calls and probably less than half of the hotel alarm clocks work correctly.

I'm actually considering a new section called "Stuff I learned" or something similar where I can talk about stuff like this.

Back