Bush Pilots Season 1 Episode 1

Africa is very vast, usually most Americans that end up flying over there are experienced guys joining operators that work with the UN or NGOs, or Missionary pilots. There are companies that have Americans flying for them, I believe Nyassa Air Taxi has some former LAB pilots. There are also many Americans flying in TZ.

The location and companies presented in the show, are targeted to low timers, pay is very low so I see it very hard to make it if you have a loan back in the US, some of the UK pilots said to have a loan, and so did pilots that have flown with me, but their parents were covering the bills, a good 80% had no bills and moved down to Africa or other parts of the world worry free. Bush flying has always been a way for many Europeans to jump start their career, just how CFIing is in the US, most of all the companies in Africa are either run by Europeans or South Africans.

In my travels as bush pilot I met pilots from all over, Americans made up for maybe a 4-5%. Most were European, Canadians and Kiwis, I was told by an HR guy once that pilots from this regions usually adapt better to the standards of living found in many 3rd world countries, Americans tend to have higher expectations, I lived this on my skin when I was at SUSI Air Indonesia, the only Americans there at the time (it has changed now) were flying the Piaggio Avanti and were there only for the money, I was told that they had several low timers from the US to start from the bottom but they all lasted very little has they had an hard time to cope with the place.

The biggest deal breaker is having a loan, I interviewed with companies that would not take on anybody with a loan or ties back home (wife, children,..).

I do wish more companies were run by Americans, from my personal experience customers service and organization is generally way better in their hands, this has to do with having to deal with a much more demanding customer back in the US. As a pilot I didn't liked so much flying Americans tourists that do this kind of trips (generally very very wealthy), they would complain most of the time and have much higher expectations on everything, Australians were the easiest to deal with, everything could go wrong and they wouldn't care as long as you could find them a place to crash and cold beers, Europeans (minus the French) were the only ones to leave tips, on average I would get 25-50 USD from each couple I would fly per trip.

Why would a loan be a deal breaker? Wouldn't someone with a loan be more inclined to keep their job?

Why would a loan be a deal breaker? Wouldn't someone with a loan be more inclined to keep their job?

Good point.

There reasons are two:

Pay can be very low, most jobs pay around 1200-1400 USD month, some as low as 600-700 USD for an entry level position. Many companies think you won`t be able to handle it. Cost of living is generally pretty low but between housing, eating out, the pub and the expensive trips to visit the family back home that money even in a 3rd world country doesn't go that far.

The second reason has to do with the fact that some companies bond you, and if you show up already with payments to make chances are that you won't have much money aside to pay them back in case you bail out.

The biggest investment in getting this type of jobs, is the travel cost to reach this locations. If you need to go to some remote place you can spend easy 3000-3500 USD in air fares.

I watched all 10 episodes. Unlike Flying Wild Alaska, this show goes deep not only into bush flying, but into the challenges and stresses related to getting the job in the first place. Do you know if they are making a second season?

I'm about to finish the series, I really like it. Way less over-dramatized than the US shows. The pilot Filip is awesome, he could probably end up an actor or comedian if he wanted to. I'd love to meet that guy.

I'm about to finish the series, I really like it. Way less over-dramatized than the US shows. The pilot Filip is awesome, he could probably end up an actor or comedian if he wanted to. I'd love to meet that guy.

Other the Wunderkind pilot that got in with Qatar I wonder what all those guys and gals are up to?

I don't know if I could live in a tent for 3 months on a shot of flying a 172. I also probably couldn't pass that interview, did you see all they had to do?

The interview was insane at Wilderness Air compared to the others it seemed. Especially with management being openly racist about what nationalities they reject right off the bat. All for 12,000 euros a year. I never would have thought it would be that hard to land a job in Maun, the guys on pprune sure never made it seem that intense.

The interview was insane at Wilderness Air compared to the others it seemed.

I wonder, how much of that complex interview was due to there being cameras around?

OTOH, outside the US the written is much more complex and get into a lot more detail than the ones the FAA makes us pass.

Back