Buried a friend today.

I'm so sorry about your friend. I watched the video and he seemed like an amazing man and outstanding instructor. RIP.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, I and many other JCers know what it feels like to lose friends in plane crashes.
I'm sure his family is comforted by the fact that he was so well-loved by his students. It's a shame to lose anyone, but when it's one of the "good guys," it's even tougher. RIP...

any idea how it happened? it looks like a pretty big field perfect for emergency landing.

Sorry to hear that man. :(
it does show the news getting it right just this once.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="video" data="http://www.myfoxdfw.com/video/videoplayer.swf" width="320" height="280">

</object>

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="video" data="http://www.myfoxdfw.com/video/videoplayer.swf" width="320" height="280">

</object>
Indeed. Very nicely done report.

any idea how it happened? it looks like a pretty big field perfect for emergency landing.
Only one blade of the prop was curled which means one thing: the engine wasn't making power.

We theorize that it was an engine failure on takeoff and he turned into that field and stalled in. Basically, he committed the cardinal sin and turned back instead of landing straight ahead.

The sad part is I know by experience he knew better because he taught me never to turn back. Jim taught my brother to fly also and my brother lost an engine on takeoff in September. I still have my brother because he was taught NEVER to turn back.

After digesting yesterday's celebration and having the support of friends, family, and fellow aviators I feel a lot better.

Thanks gents.

Only one blade of the prop was curled which means one thing: the engine wasn't making power.

We theorize that it was an engine failure on takeoff and he turned into that field and stalled in. Basically, he committed the cardinal sin and turned back instead of landing straight ahead.

The sad part is I know by experience he knew better because he taught me never to turn back. Jim taught my brother to fly also and my brother lost an engine on takeoff in September. I still have my brother because he was taught NEVER to turn back.

After digesting yesterday's celebration and having the support of friends, family, and fellow aviators I feel a lot better.

Thanks gents.

Sometimes you may do something that you've taught hundreds of people not to do. He wouldn't be a lesser aviator in my eyes. Until you've stared down the barrel at an emergency, you can never second guess someone elses split second decision except to try to improve your own odds.

Sometimes you may do something that you've taught hundreds of people not to do. He wouldn't be a lesser aviator in my eyes. Until you've stared down the barrel at an emergency, you can never second guess someone elses split second decision except to try to improve your own odds.

He was a great pilot but he was still human. His luck bucket just ran out.

Two years ago I saw him land a Mooney in a field in the foothills of Arkansas dropping in over high-tension lines, touching down while going downhill, then they went up the other side of the hill bunnyhopped a ditch, making a 60 degree right turn and stopping with only a bent gear door. The man could fly but he couldn't beat the clock.

Basically, he committed the cardinal sin and turned back instead of landing straight ahead.

Not related to the situation at hand, but the above isn't an absolute. Like anything else, it isn't a "never", it's an "it depends".

Sorry for the loss.

Sorry to hear about your loss, sounds like a great person, friend and instructor.

RD

Back