Buddy Pass Priorities (who goes first)

ComplexHiAv8r

I know that a buddy pass is at the bottom of the barrel (except now maybe a retired pass), but what is better to have: A mainline pass or regional pass if on the regional?

Might need to see about one to get home (AKR) from CHT or RDU shortly.

Thanks

Like dude said, there is no cookie cutter answer.

Pretty much expect the last seat if you are on a buddy pass.

Not necessarily. Typically guest passes get on before airport agreements, interline, vendors ,and other stuff like that. Also, one thing to keep in mind, guest passes are prioritized by check-in order, not employee seniority date. However, all this varies per airline. Tracy, shoot me a message if you need any help.

X-Forces said:
Friends don't let friends use buddy passes.

That's why I won't ask a friend for a buddy pass. 8). It's been a few years since I used one. I missed my old mainline UAL privileges.

Can I borrow one?

dude....fire up the sr20 and get your arse back home.... :) At least you'll know the pilot....

Are you a pilot??? I might be taking a plane one way to NC.

That's a tough question...Do I have a pilot cert with instrument rating...? Yes. Am I a pilot...? Hmm, I don't know. What is a pilot...? Selling the sr20...? :O

JEP said:
That's a tough question...Do I have a pilot cert with instrument rating...? Yes. Am I a pilot...? Hmm, I don't know. What is a pilot...? Selling the sr20...? :O

Are you current? A pilot is a lot of things.

At United, UAX buddies ride below UA buddies, they're at a other-airline priority.

Buddy passes work fine if you have back ups, and don't mind being flexible around loads. I've used over 100 buddy passes in the last 4 years and only 3 or 4 times have I had to intervene and solve a crisis, which usually had horrible timing. When they work, they work great. When they don't, be ready to play phone tag and baby sit for a few hours. Practice safe listing, tell your friends.

Also helps to be creative. There are tips and tricks, but you just have to figure them out as you go.

ChasenSFO said:
At United, UAX buddies ride below UA buddies, they're at a other-airline priority.

Buddy passes work fine if you have back ups, and don't mind being flexible around loads. I've used over 100 buddy passes in the last 4 years and only 3 or 4 times have I had to intervene and solve a crisis, which usually had horrible timing. When they work, they work great. When they don't, be ready to play phone tag and baby sit for a few hours. Practice safe listing, tell your friends.

Also helps to be creative. There are tips and tricks, but you just have to figure them out as you go.

I understand the theory. Used to have a UAL 1956 seniority date to play with. I question if better to have a PSA buddy pass over a USAIR buddy pass if on PSA. I remember some old tricks 8). I've knocked on a few airliner doors over the years.

I understand the theory. Used to have a UAL 1956 seniority date to play with. I question if better to have a PSA buddy pass over a USAIR buddy pass if on PSA. I remember some old tricks 8). I've knocked on a few airliner doors over the years.
I know PSA and USAir are probably just random examples, but PSA employees have the same exact priority as mainline employees, so I think the buddy passes would be the same regardless of if you're on PSA or mainline metal. Active PSA employees are supposed to get bumped up a priority when they're on PSA equipment, but honestly I rarely saw this kind of thing happen when we had Mesa flights with Mesa commuters. In fact I remember a few occasions where the gate agents forgot to do it and a commuter got bumped by a mainline person.

I question if better to have a PSA buddy pass over a USAIR buddy pass if on PSA.

Like Jordan said, with that example, it doesn't matter. PSA (and PDT) non rev privileges are the same as mainline. It goes by date of hire. So if you have the option of a PSA or Airways buddy pass, go with the one that has a earlier DOH.

Like Jordan said, with that example, it doesn't matter. PSA (and PDT) non rev privileges are the same as mainline. It goes by date of hire. So if you have the option of a PSA or Airways buddy pass, go with the one that has a earlier DOH.
so a new hire at USAir would be behind a PDT lifer? Where did the good days go?

Check in time actually. But I think UA does it by DOH, not too sure though. After seeing rolling standby lists of 50+ just trying to get on PHX-CLT and getting stuck overnight, I won't give one out again unless it's family. Just not worth it and usually every time I have the person ended up buying a confirmed ticket for a couple dollars cheaper.

Check in time actually. But I think UA does it by DOH, not too sure though. After seeing rolling standby lists of 50+ just trying to get on PHX-CLT and getting stuck overnight, I won't give one out again unless it's family. Just not worth it and usually every time I have the person ended up buying a confirmed ticket for a couple dollars cheaper.
You're just cursed hahaha I've had to refund one US Airways buddy pass ever. Then again, the East Coast seems like non-rev hell compared to here.

Back