Bucharest, Romania Information?

NEOHIO

I am just finishing a trip delivering a CE-510 to Bucharest and am having problems getting out until tomorrow evening.(Back to CLE) I was wondering if anybody has overnighted here and if there is anything to do/restaurants to visit. Also, will be spending the night in Istanbul, Turkey tomorrow evening if anybody has any recommendations.

THANKS!

Definitely go into the Blue Mosque in Instanbul. It is free and it is incredible inside and out! Hagia Sophia is neat too, but has an admission fee and takes a bit more time which I don't know if you'll have enough of or not but I'd keep it in mind. Other than that, there are some on this forum that have been there many more times and I'm sure they can give you more information. Enjoy!

I wish I'd gone to Bucharest while DL still flew there...just couldn't cram it into the schedule.

Thanks for the info, I was hoping to make some use of the time while I am stuck here!

I spent last June in Romania, primarily in Bucuresti. There is good food all over the place but We primarily stayed in Sector 1 and 6 and I'm not familiar with the rest of the city. I cant think of a particular restaurant to recommend as most of our meals were home cooked.

If you are looking for a place to relax, Parcul Herestrau is a popular park to visit. There is also a museum at the park of houses from medieval times through more recent times if you are into that stuff (the Village Museum). The palace downtown is also an interesting tour if you have time get down there. There are also shops and food around the University area downtown (I forget exactly where though, close to a metro stop). The metro is ok for getting around the places it serves and the buses work for the rest. Just be careful on the buses if there is a large group of gypsies, particularly keep the english to a minimum around them, it tends to make you a target.

There's a nice seafood restaurant that is about a block behind the Hilton hotel there in Bucharest....just make sure you watch your bill. They don't quite understand capitalism yet and tend to add things onto the bill to get them more cash.

Back