Brutal article in flying.

So explain to me how big blue's answer of this:
  • Increasing ROTC scholarships at minority-serving institutions.
  • Initiating a new “GO Inspire” program in January designed to increase Air and Space Force general officer outreach to youth, to increase diversity in operational career fields and the broader force.
  • Drafting the DAF Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility Strategy
  • Requiring an action plan on all Defense Equal Opportunity Climate Survey climate factors relating to Diversity, Inclusion, or Equal Opportunity that score an “improvement needed”
  • Establishing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion offices with chief diversity inclusion officers across major commands.
  • Initiating the Command Justice Climate Tool to track adverse administrative actions with regard to age, rank, gender, and race of those issuing and receiving counseling, admonishments, and reprimands.
  • Revising policy for diverse slates for key military positions.
  • Updating command authority to inspect and remove flags affecting good order and discipline.

Addresses the problems brought up here:
  • Young Black enlisted service members were nearly twice as likely to be involuntarily discharged for misconduct compared to white enlisted service members.
  • Black Air Force service members were 1.64 times more likely to be suspects in Office of Special Investigations criminal cases.
  • Black Air Force service members were overrepresented in support career fields while underrepresented in operational career fields, which could impact promotion opportunities.
  • Of the more than 123,000 surveyed, about 60 percent of Black service members believed they do not and would not receive the same benefit of the doubt as white peers.
  • And, about 40 percent of Black enlisted, civilians, and officers do not trust their chain of command to address issues related to racism, bias, and disparate career opportunities.
What does the answer have to do with the problem?

I'll tell you, in the USN, we recently (2021) winged the first black female pilot to ever graduate from USN/USMC advanced jet/strike training. I thought to myself when I saw the article, "surely that can't be right" (as in, it must have happened before). But apparently it was.

Well as a black Air Force pilot and someone that just went through AA's school house, I have a few suggestions that people probably won't want to hear.

I'm gonna be really honest, I'm dreading being a FO at a major airline from a "what are we gonna talk about on the way down to Costa Rica" standpoint, so many of the age 55+ folks in the school house and elsewhere in the company are c o m p l e t e l y disconnected from reality, and the things they say in 2022 are just unfathomable. Obviously 4 years of Trump making it ok for these people to say these things didn't help.

If anyone is curious to talk to someone who has routinely been the only black ops officer in their wing or squadron, you can feel free to message me directly.

Well as a black Air Force pilot and someone that just went through AA's school house, I have a few suggestions that people probably won't want to hear.

I'm gonna be really honest, I'm dreading being a FO at a major airline from a "what are we gonna talk about on the way down to Costa Rica" standpoint, so many of the age 55+ folks in the school house and elsewhere in the company are c o m p l e t e l y disconnected from reality, and the things they say in 2022 are just unfathomable. Obviously 4 years of Trump making it ok for these people to say these things didn't help.

If anyone is curious to talk to someone who has routinely been the only black ops officer in their wing or squadron, you can feel free to message me directly.
Dude, I'm so sorry. As a straight white guy it's mind-blowing the list of "acceptable" topics I wind up hearing about. I've finally come to the realization that silence and trying to ignore it is being complicit and call it out when I hear it. I think if nothing else 2016-2020 helped us realize things weren't really ok and we need to keep talking about race. Trump helped us find out just how much racism and bigotry was hiding just under the surface.

Dude, I'm so sorry. As a straight white guy it's mind-blowing the list of "acceptable" topics I wind up hearing about. I've finally come to the realization that silence and trying to ignore it is being complicit and call it out when I hear it. I think if nothing else 2016-2020 helped us realize things weren't really ok and we need to keep talking about race. Trump helped us find out just how much racism and bigotry was hiding just under the surface.

Honestly, you do not need to apologize for something you did not do. I've done my fair share of cooperate and graduate since UPT, we all do it, you kinda have to. No matter what the CEO says is tolerated, there's always some instructor that will say whatever they want deep in the bowels of the training center at 6pm on a Sunday before hopping into the sim.

Spot on. They will NEVER understand.

One thing I won't miss from corporate aviation is the rampant misogyny and racism. I'm sure it exists everywhere to some extent, but it was unchecked from what I saw. And I am no pearl clutcher, I've been known to drop an occasional off color joke amongst friends.

One thing I won't miss from corporate aviation is the rampant misogyny and racism. I'm sure it exists everywhere to some extent, but it was unchecked from what I saw. And I am no pearl clutcher, I've been known to drop an occasional off color joke amongst friends.

Isn't it insane the things other guys will say when they think they are in good company? Story of my life

Been there; still there. Nothing new. IMHO, it wasn't Trump. As I've always felt was the case, it was the rise of Fox Channel during the Obama era that made it more vocal with the Tucker Carlson rhetorical question "passive aggressive" posturing I saw more of. Twas nothing direct but it was passive aggressive nonetheless, but hey. . .sexism never diminished either. We've still not changed, but still not deterred either.

Betcha if Candace Owens wanted to fly, she'd get her wings.

Back