Broken Plane : (

Filter is good but at this point it is not going to significantly delay the need for an overhaul off at some point in the future. Better just to wait and put it on when the engine is overhauled.

As mentioned keeping the oil level at 6 often prevents loss out the breather.

The breather expels oil mist, fumes, acid, moisture, and other junk. A separator tries to return just the oil. NONE of them do this 100% so a separator while keeping the belly clean is also detrimental to the long term health of the engine by putting stuff back that should have been expelled.

Lycoming says, I believe, TBO or 12 years whichever comes sooner. IIRC you are wayyyy over the 12 years. Now, for part 91 none of that is regulatory, but I've always found it to be prudent.

If I were him, I'd run it for a while. Get an oil analysis going on the engine, get a few done, every time you change the oil, and get a trend going. That should be able to tell you what the engine is doing, in terms of wear. Engines tend to fail more often in the first couple hundred hours than after it. I'd hate for nothing more to do the overhaul, however you choose to do it, and then have it fail a 100 hours later.

If I were him, I'd run it for a while. Get an oil analysis going on the engine, get a few done, every time you change the oil, and get a trend going.
:yeahthat:
Also, get a borescope in those cylinders and have a look at what they're like.

I think the best thing an owner can do for an airplane is to not let it sit! Run the darn things and run it hard. It keeps everything lubricated and helps prevent corrosion buy burning off the moisture that collects in the engine. Get out there and fly the thing till it wont pass a compression test!

Back