Breaking story: Potential Gear-up landing in Detroit

Why is this "must see video"? Why was it "dramatic"? Furthermore... WHY WAS THIS "LIVE" COVERAGE NEWS???????

ctab, I can't see your link. There is a Lancer. It's a multi engined Aeronca Champ. Neat looking little airplane but I read that it was pretty much a dog. Sorry ctab if that was what you posted. I can't see it.

ctab, I can't see your link. There is a Lancer. It's a multi engined Aeronca Champ. Neat looking little airplane but I read that it was pretty much a dog. Sorry ctab if that was what you posted. I can't see it.

I couldn't see it either. Correcto-mundo on the multi-engine Champ - forgot about that one!

That Champ Lancer has fixed-pitch props, doesn't it. Guess it was so doggy on one engine they decided it wasn't even worth it.

Fixed pitch and fixed gear... horrible combination...

Hey t-cart! Isn't that an Apache parked next to it??? :D

800px-ChampionLancer-N9931Y.jpg

So what's engine failure procedure? Pitch for Vyse and find a field to land in? Or just cut the other one too and glide it?

So what's engine failure procedure? Pitch for Vyse and land find a field to land in? Or just cut the other one too and glide it?

That one would be my best guess.

On another note... I would love to see some pictures of the cockpit. Would love to see how they set up the multi engine controls. Can't tell from the angle if it is tandem or side by side...

I would bet the throttles and mixture are overhead a la Grumman amphibs.

Just did some digging. The Lancer is a derivative of the 7FC. The 7FC is the trigear version of the 7EC which is a tandem cockpit. It has got to be a weird setup.

I would bet the throttles and mixture are overhead a la Grumman amphibs.

That would definitely be weird in a tandem arrangement. I zoomed in pretty good and couldn't tell. Bit dark and a bit grainy. Wonder if there is one of these tucked away in a museum somewhere?

Dang it t-cart. You had to go and mention that airplane! Now you got me curious!

More Info...

http://www.airport-data.com/article...Engine-1963-Champion-Lancer-402-Rev-1;40.html

From the website...

As the propellers were fixed pitch, engine out performance with single engine suffered because the unpowered prop could not be feathered, resulting in great windmilling prop drag and yaw and required full power on the remaining engine (and altitude). Note the tall balanced rudder in N9931Y above, the only photo at present of a Lancer 402 in the Airport-Data database. I thank Timothy Aanerud for his fine photo taken of this unusual twin engine aircraft. The FAA quickly limited a multi-engine rating obtained on this aircraft to operation of this type model aircraft only. This limitation was greater than anticipated by Champion and sales and instruction opportunities suffered. Champion FBO dealers/flight schools showed a reluctance to operate the Lancer 402 for multi-engine training.

The initial climb rate of the Lancer 402 was just 642 feet/minute, and its single engine altitude could only be maintained down to 2,000 feet msl. So, an engine out below this figure resulted in descent even with full power on the operating engine, and a quick look for a suitable emergency landing field. One has to question whether this aircraft design with fixed pitch props could even be type certificated now in 2007 as a new production aircraft meeting our Federal Aviation Administration's flight standards requirements. Service ceiling of the aircraft was 12,000 feet, if you were patient in the climb and had oxygen aboard, which should be used above 10,000 feet altitude. Seating was tandem for two with dual controls, a control wheel up front and a stick in the rear for the instructor. Solo flight from front seat. The rear seat position had no brakes. The dual sets of engine controls were overhead each seating position. Visibility was limited by the engine nacelle placements. Visibility into a normal banked turn was nil. Noise was remarkable, very remarkable especially when the engines were not synchronized. With dual braced wing struts, dual braced gear struts and long, fixed leg gear legs there was a lot of form drag. Wheel pants were not an option.

There is also one registered down in Union Springs, Alabama.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/nnumSQL.asp?NNumbertxt=9931Y

Knock out that ATP and I smell a potential road trip in your Apache or my Citabria.

It's stuff like that that makes me think that I could design an airplane that does at least slightly better than that!

Back