Branson's Spaceship 2

Lee D

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/spaceshiptwo-revealed/2694843134

I suspect there will not be any $99 dollar fare sales for this one.

Though I suppose you could charge a cheap fare for the flight, but charge for the extras. . . . .Flight is only $1000.00 but . . . . .The space suit is an extra $100,000. Space suit with Oxygen add $25,000. :D

Jokes aside I think it will be cool if the thing truly comes together.

Cool! Thanks for the link.

I suspect there will not be any $99 dollar fare sales for this one.

Well, not immediately, but wait until J. Ornstein at Mesa latches on to it. He'll be able to outsource construction of the sub-orbital launcher and hire pilots for next to nothing based on the promise of quick upgrades so they can build time for the orbital spaceliners.

Of course, the Orbital Astronauts Union will protest the encroachment of sub-orbital spacecraft into their territory and bad mouth all sub-orbital pilots as being sub-standard and unsafe....not to mention job-stealers.

These complaints from the "mainline" pilots will have little effect on space travel as spaceflight management realizes more profits can be made with higher frequency and lower cost fairs. The emphasis will be on volume, not quality.

Example; the Spaceship 2 is roomy and comfortable. This is unsatisfactory for profit minded investors. Having all the passengers lay down and stacking them like cordwood for the half-hour flight would be much more efficient. Go with a bigger booster and I bet they could carry 20 people on each flight with a little room left over to give each person a exactly one minute of free-floating zero-G time all for the low, low price of $99/flight...spacesuit extra. There's a reason why the website is called Orbitz.com.

:bandit::sarcasm:

I wonder who would be willing to insure it. If there is any insurance invloved with it anyway. I know its already tough enough to get insurance for a GIV, crew and passengers and don't even think of trying to charter the flight to Iaq or some hostile country, the hardest part is dealing with the insurance agency, I can't image them even obtaining insurance for a space mission.

Anybody an aviation insurance agent that can shed some light on this for me?

I wonder who would be willing to insure it. If there is any insurance invloved with it anyway. I know its already tough enough to get insurance for a GIV, crew and passengers and don't even think of trying to charter the flight to Iaq or some hostile country, the hardest part is dealing with the insurance agency, I can't image them even obtaining insurance for a space mission.

Anybody an aviation insurance agent that can shed some light on this for me?

I hear its possible to insure quite literally anything.

Back