Branching Out a Bit

DrBenny

I'd like opinions as to the feasibility of this trip. Some background first: I am a non-IR pilot (with about 30 hours instrument/hood/sim time), about 250 hours total in the past 2.5 years, 25 PIC hours cross-country, and my longest cross-country to date has been nearly 300 n.m. total (round trip).

This flight would be an overnight trip from BWI (Baltimore/Washington)-DDH(Morse State, Vermont)-BWI. I have flown this trip before, but with my CFII, under IFR. I would definitely use the 182 for this one. The 182S is /G (KLN89B), and has two VORs, two radios and an ADF. By airways, the total mileage one-way comes out to 290 n.m. from BWI, a bit more if I leave from FDK. I would plan the course of the flight using the Low Alt Enroute Charts, and I would refer to the sectionals and TACs as needed (especially in terminal areas and on takoff and departure). I would flight plan for 7,500 and 8,500, and expect a cruise of 135 kts. I estimate a no-wind enroute time of 2.3 hours, each way. The flight would be in early April, so I have ample time to plan.

My concerns with their solutions are:

1) Weather. I would need reasonably good VFR weather during the two days, or I obviously could not complete the flight. Solution: buy two Southwest tix as a backup. (Fly into ALB, rent a car, and drag all the way to Bennington.)

2) Distance. This trip is almost double my longest cross-country to date. Solution: Plan it the way you plan all long X-Cs: one leg at a time. I would have a overview on a piece of paper that would be a general guide, in addition to the regular X-C logs.

3) Problem: Get-there-itis, and Get-home-itis. Solution: if in doubt, use the Southwest tix.

I know that for many of you--especially those of you with your IR--this would be an easy trip.

Any advice, aside from "Try to get your IR within the next month?"

Ben Myers, PP-ASEL

Enjoying every minute

I just did a trip fairly long trip myself, I think it worked out to about 320NM each way. We did it in one night, leaving around three thirty in the afternoon, then getting back to base around one in the morning. It was the longest that I had done so far in a 172. I'd say really, if you're navigating IFR methods like we were, its no big deal. Just look at the charts and control areas ahead of time, and plan it as you would any other trip. It really shouldn't be to hard.

I think this trip is feasible as long as the weather stays VFR. If there is any sign it will not be day VFR though I would not recommend doing the trip. Remember every take off is optional. Every landing is mandatory. Have fun and fly safe!

[ QUOTE ]
Any advice, aside from "Try to get your IR within the next month?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you wanna get your IR within the next month??
wink.gif

If you have to be at the destination at a certain time or on a certain day for a certain reason you may want to think about just taking Southwest. If, however, you're just flying the trip for the sole purpose of making the trip then go for it. Just accept the fact you may have to put down somewhere along the way and grab a hotel.

Two years ago I made a 2,600 nm (round trip) flight from Phoenix to St. Louis (and back) under VFR. I had maybe 150 or 200 hours at the time. I recently made the same trip again (the past October) on an IFR flight plan. And I had to stay over night someplace on both trips. I have the opportunity to make the trip again here in two weeks but because this time I have to be in St. Louis on a certain day for a certain reason I'm taking a commercial flight. Dealing with Icing/IFR/March weather in the midwest in a light GA aircraft is something I don't want to have to deal with when I need to make a deadline. Now, if I were just flying the trip for the sole purpose of flying the trip I'd go in a second. What do I care if I have to overnight in Oklahoma?

The trick to long cross countries is just thinking of them as several smaller trips added together. Just do your planning. The best thing you can do (even on an IFR flight plan) is to make a few more stops more then what would be necessary of fuel. you do this so you can check te radar. And the biggest thing to remember is if the plan changes: change the plan!. Meaning if you were planning to come home or go one route but a different route looks better for weather or terrain or whatever don't be afraid to go the other way. Or if the weather looks bad sit it out.

Thanks, mavmb

[ QUOTE ]
I think this trip is feasible as long as the weather stays VFR. If there is any sign it will not be day VFR though I would not recommend doing the trip. Remember every take off is optional. Every landing is mandatory. Have fun and fly safe!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Do you wanna get your IR within the next month??

[/ QUOTE ]
Do I want to? Yes. Would I be able to? No way. I work full time and a half teaching, and the studying process for the written is slow, slow, slow. I also need to get another 25 PIC X-C hours. Too bad dual ones don't count--I would have about 35 in that case!

Well if you're looking for more XC time you can come on over here and eat breakfast with me when ever you want, it's only about an 75 mile trip from BWI. All the proflight Katana's come over here.

[ QUOTE ]
Well if you're looking for more XC time you can come on over here and eat breakfast with me when ever you want....

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it just me, or is that line just begging to be twisted around into a really different meaning?
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well if you're looking for more XC time you can come on over here and eat breakfast with me when ever you want....

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it just me, or is that line just begging to be twisted around into a really different meaning?
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain...
laugh.gif

Man--you have only about 10 more hours than I do, and you've got all that turbine and multi time. How come? The biggest thing I've ever "flown" was the Aero Commander (twin 375 hp).

[ QUOTE ]
Well if you're looking for more XC time you can come on over here and eat breakfast with me when ever you want, it's only about an 75 mile trip from BWI. All the proflight Katana's come over here.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain...
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this some creepy Michael Jackson reference?

Back