BP hypertension or anxious mind?

MtnFlyer00

I’ll just start off my saying, I’m an otherwise healthy 32 year old. Exercise regularly, almost entirely pesto-Mediterranean diet, moderate drinking, weight/BMI are all well within limits. I’ve always had low BP, medicals at late as 2018 were all 110/70 range. In fact I didn’t even know what blood pressure ranges were or what the cuff really was. The only person in my family I know with high BP is my grandmother, but being overweight and having a poor diet are the causes, I’m sure. No other family members with BP issues.

Anyway, fast forward to this April, covid is flaring up and I’m starting to get anxious about health as the news was talking about underlying conditions, etc. So I make an appt to go to a PCP for a routine physical and blood work. I’ve never liked doctors offices or hospitals.
I get there, they take my BP and it was high. 135/90. Takes it again, same. Doc comes in and does exam, all well, but talks about BP and throws out meds, DASH diet, etc. so now I’m freaking out as I’ve never really had any health issues before. He suggests that I take my BP at home and log it. So I buy a monitor and take it. It ranges from 120/72 to 150/90. Now I feel like I have this irrational fear of BP and monitors and sometimes start to spiral when I even think about it. I recently went for my first class medical at my AME, and was really nervous leading up to it because I was worried about the BP. It was high, like I expect, around 145/90. He wasn’t concerned at all, said no way to meds and said it could be associated to stress and anxiousness.

I’m just curious what others may think? Anyone else have this issue? I’ve also cut out most excess sodium, and maybe sit around 500-1000mg a day.

It’s just so very frustrating at times and it’s hard to get it passed thinking about it often.

Last edited:
Not a medical practitioner of any sort and wouldn't know if your situation could be indicative of an issue, but, here is my experience...

I've had a similar issue when I was about your age, maybe a little older. I had learned that my father was on BP meds and hadn't known that before, it made me think it was coming I guess. Every time I had my BP taken, it was a little high, never worse than 140/90. I broke my toe a couple years later, was referred to a orthopedic practice and walked in on the broken toe. A tech calls me over to a screening area and takes my BP with a machine, it's again 140/90. They put that I have "undiagnosed prehypertension" in my chart and handed my a bunch of pamplets. So now I'm freaked out, every time I get it checked it's high.

White coat syndrome is really a thing. Your nervousness will absolutely raise your pressure.

Taking a tip from a Cessna demo pilot I had a chat with, I got control by vegetable juicing, did it 4 days a week instead of eating a lunch, not a huge diet change. Every time I test I'm in the 110/70 area now, and I'm much older. I haven't juiced regularly in a few years now but I do so once in a while. I know I don't eat enough veggies.

I do a lot of cardio and I think that generally helps keep it in check, but, I'm completely convinced that knowing I could control it took the anxiety away and ended the resulting raise in pressure when being tested.

One other tip from my AME. Don't have someone take your BP shortly after you've walked into the practice. The doc I go to has you seated on the table for a good ten minutes before he'll take your BP. Do that at home as well. See if it doesn't stabilize.

Good Luck to you!

The white coat will raise my BP also. Several years ago I started mentally placing myself sitting on a sailboat at anchor looking at a white sand beach. It helps me.

I’m just curious what others may think? Anyone else have this issue? I’ve also cut out most excess sodium, and maybe sit around 500-1000mg a day.

It's a real thing, mine is routinely higher when I know there are consequences from having it taken (insurance exam, where a one time measurement costs me money for example). Take it at home for a while to find out if it is actually and issue, and talk to you doctor obviously.

I’ve dealt with white coat syndrome for the last few years. Something that helps me is asking the nurse if I can have my BP taken towards the end of my visit, after I’ve had a chance to calm down. If it helps, your BP has to be pretty high to not pass your medical. Check it every day at home so you get used to it, if it’s constantly high talk to your Doctor.

My BP is always high the first time they take it and what has made a huge difference is to slow my breathing down while waiting in the lobby. There is a technique called 4-7-8 breathing that works pretty well. Breathe in for 4 seconds, hold it in for 7, and exhale for 8. Normal blood pressure every time.

I’ll just start off my saying, I’m an otherwise healthy 32 year old. Exercise regularly, almost entirely pesto-Mediterranean diet, moderate drinking, weight/BMI are all well within limits. I’ve always had low BP, medicals at late as 2018 were all 110/70 range. In fact I didn’t even know what blood pressure ranges were or what the cuff really was. The only person in my family I know with high BP is my grandmother, but being overweight and having a poor diet are the causes, I’m sure. No other family members with BP issues.

Anyway, fast forward to this April, covid is flaring up and I’m starting to get anxious about health as the news was talking about underlying conditions, etc. So I make an appt to go to a PCP for a routine physical and blood work. I’ve never liked doctors offices or hospitals.
I get there, they take my BP and it was high. 135/90. Takes it again, same. Doc comes in and does exam, all well, but talks about BP and throws out meds, DASH diet, etc. so now I’m freaking out as I’ve never really had any health issues before. He suggests that I take my BP at home and log it. So I buy a monitor and take it. It ranges from 120/72 to 150/90. Now I feel like I have this irrational fear of BP and monitors and sometimes start to spiral when I even think about it. I recently went for my first class medical at my AME, and was really nervous leading up to it because I was worried about the BP. It was high, like I expect, around 145/90. He wasn’t concerned at all, said no way to meds and said it could be associated to stress and anxiousness.

It’s just so very frustrating at times and it’s hard to get it passed thinking about it often.
Nobody cares about my opinion, but my opinion is that blood pressure is likely best read with a nod to heart-rate-recovery numbers.

If you've ever been a serious athlete - and these days, anyone with a Go-Pro, an Instragram account and an Apple watch IS - you'll know that one of the most telling measures of aerobic fitness is comprised of two factors: 1. deltaBPM: BPM before a highly strenuous activity and BPM immediately after a strenuous activity, and 2. Recovery Time: The time it takes your body to return to resting pulse rate after your BPM peaks.

So, Delta and Recovery Time. If you start at 55bpm at the bottom of the hill, peak at 220 after an all out sprint to the top, and then return to 60bpm within 60 to 120 seconds, you are doing well.

Now consider diastole and systole as the bounds of blood pressure. Your diastole is a measure of your low pressure - your "resting" pressure between beats. Your systole is your max pressure - the pressure at the peak of your heart squeezing down and exerting max pumping pressure on your arteries.

Both measures are material. Typically, Docs are interested in both. And for much the same reason that athletes are interested in both. However, doc or athlete, one measure is more important that the other.

Your diastole gives an indication of a kind of base line pressure your arteries are experiencing most of the time, or at least most of the time under "normal" conditions. Your systole is giving the max pressure to which your arterial system is exposed only at the transient moment of pump (albeit, no doubt, a frequently repeating transient moment).

As a general rule, if your systole is too high, you're pushing too hard, acutely. If your diastole is too high, something is chronically wrong with your body and you're in a continual state of lack of fitness, stress, and/or system degradation. You'll likely suffer an aortic aneurysm at some point.

Athletes seek to achieve the maximum delta between resting pulse rate at the bottom of the hill and and peak pulse rate at the top of the hill. Obviously, that delta will benefit from starting as low as possible, then rising as far as possible. Remember, it's the difference between low and high in which we're interested; the ability to undergo a tremendous stress and recover from that stress as quickly as possible. But that difference is most significantly influenced by the low number - the starting point - the resting pulse. That's the quick and easy mark of fitness. Just like buying real-estate, the deal is made on the buy, not the sell; As long as the buy is low, the sell can vary widely and still be profitable.

That measure of ultimate stress is moderated -and even allowed - by baseline stress. Resting heart rate.

One of the measures universally and almost religiously recorded daily by athletes is "resting pulse rate". It's the rate we used to measure as soon as we woke up in the morning - preferably, before we even moved in bed. Nowdays, with Apple watches and such, one can measure pulse rates 24/7, so athletes are relieved of the stress of remembering to record pulse rates before moving after waking in the morning. Still, measured either way, the goal is to see as LOW a resting pulse rate as possible. Notwithstanding anomalous individual quirks, the resting pulse rate is the basic measure and tell of overall aerobic fitness. That's why you'll hear athletes make comments like "I woke up at 28 today, brah!"

Similarly, with blood pressure, you really want your resting pressure (diastole) to be as low as possible. Why? Because that's the base-line. The more important number. That's the more or less constant pressure (stress) to which the arterial pressure vessel is normally exposed. The systole peak pressure is important too, but not as significant a sign of base-line, general health as diastole.

OK, all THAT said... Any moderately competent doctor knows that people "stress out" during medical exams. Stress increases blood pressure. Why? 'Cause when our bodies anticipate fleeing or fighting, our autonomic nervous system is WAY ahead of our pea brains and has already started getting us ready for the increased oxygenation required to engage in fleeing or fighting. (Yeah, there are a bunch of hormonal cascades involved, but that stuff is just simply out of scope for this discussion.)

The take away is... when you anticipate getting your BP taken, it's very likely your BP will already be much higher than normal - even if your pea brain knows all this!! (During Medical exams, my BP is usually about 20 points higher at both zenith and nadir.)

Solutions: 1. Measure and record your BP regularly. 2. Share your data with your Doc and tell him that you are a nervous examinee. 3. Eat real (whole - as caught or picked) foods with an emphasis on lots of small fish with their skins intact, and lots of leafy veggies. 4. Don't speculate in real estate... it'll give you high blood pressure.

ps. the more I think about the word "Watch" in terms of a device worn on one's wrist... the more I return to think about the word in terms of its other, more profound and true meaning... you know: the state of being under constant and continual observation and surveillance. Go Gen NeXXX! Products are good, m'kay! Allah is great and ALL KNOWING!! "Watches" definitely raise my blood pressure. But that's just me, I guess.

Last edited:
I used to have white coat when I went in, but lately I’ve been easing off the caffeine about two weeks prior and haven’t had an issue since.

Not a recommendation, but I've had a couple of white coat BP episodes and my personal physician suggested no caffeine for 24 hours and taking a Benadryl tablet prior to a BP test. I think the FAA calls for 60 hours of detox after Benadryl.

Of course I didn't follow my doctor's suggestion.

Last edited:
Many years ago (and before home BP machines), my MD started being worried about my BP. So some three times a week, I stopped by his office (fortunately, on my way home), and they'd check my BP. They always made me wait 20 minutes before they'd take a reading. Three months later, I go back for a check-up. I'm running late, go charging up the stairs to his 2nd floor office, and first thing, he checks my BP. It's high.

I ran through this scenario, and he admited that yes, ii might have skewed the reading somewhat.

A bunch of years & several family physicians later (all of whom basically said "Diet, low salt, lose weight, and exercise), but they're careful to check my BP. Finally went to a cardiologist and his drug regemin has my BP numbers where they belong. He does preach Diet, Sodium, Weight and Exercise. I know he's right, but beyond reading food labels for sodium, I've figured out that I'm not going to do a lot more. Since we're successful.

Could I do more: Yes. Am I going to, probably not.

My home BP machine needs to be dusted off, but since everything's OK @ every Doctor's appointment, I don't bother.

MYYV, of course. Your medical situation may call for more than mine. But if your family physician isn't successful at getting your BP where it belongs, talk to a cardiologist. Don't wait a long as I did

Good luck!

Last edited:
Not a recommendation, but I've had a couple of white coat BP episodes and my personal physician suggested no caffeine for 24 hours and taking a Benadryl tablet prior to a BP test. I think the FAA calls for 60 hours of detox after Benadryl.

Of course I didn't follow my doctor's suggestion.
The last time I had a huge stretch of sick days I ended up needing Benadryl. Figured out pretty quickly why they don't want us taking that and flying, I was basically a zombie.

The last time I had a huge stretch of sick days I ended up needing Benadryl. Figured out pretty quickly why they don't want us taking that and flying, I was basically a zombie.

Yeah, it's a wonder drug but definitely affects cognitive function.

Many doctors are using "Benadryl and a beer" as an alternative to sleep meds.

With regards to white coat BP issues, finding an AME that has a quiet office helps. Cutting out caffeine for 24 hours and showing up 30-45 minutes before an appointment solved my issues. Fighting traffic while pumped up on my morning Red Bull is not the best prep for a BP test.

That’s...worrying.

I’m on meds for BP (thanks genetics) and have always been pretty skinny, but I notice a definite and hard correlation between my weight and my blood pressure. Even 10 lbs over this year has shot it back up. It also might be some hippie BS, but beet juice supposedly helps. The last two medicals where I actually had really great (<120/80) numbers at the AME I’d chugged a bottle of beer juice that morning.

You should ride bikes. I seriously have a cup of coffee and do jumping jacks so my BP and heart rate are what the FAA considers normal.

Yeah, it's a wonder drug but definitely affects cognitive function.

With regards to white coat BP issues, finding an AME that has a quiet office helps. Cutting out caffeine for 24 hours and showing up 30-45 minutes before an appointment solved my issues. Fighting traffic while pumped up on my morning Red Bull is not the best prep for a BP test.
Forget the Benadryl. Drink one or two real beers every day. Beer -real beer- is good food. If beer were bad, we would not have been drinking it successfully for the last 6000 years.

Back